Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 05:35 AM

6,489 posts, read 3,180,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
Nope. I was in high school. Couldn't afford a Mustang key fob. Also, the power brakes were insanely touchy.

And you wonder why the salesman "sized you up"?? Personally, I'm rather surprised he let you take a test drive....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 12:46 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,448,101 times
They're not morons, they're jackasses. There's a difference. OK, some of them are morons too, but most are just jackasses.

They want you sitting around and waiting for everything because they want you look around at and fall in love with a more expensive car. They try to upsell you on $1000 floor mats because you would be amazed at how many people are convinced they need them and will buy them. (Car buyers are morons too).

Most people are intimidated by the whole car buying process, and they don't totally understand the process. So they pretty much will agree to anything or believe anything the salesman tells them. So these techniques work a lot of the time.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:47 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,638,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post

And you wonder why the salesman "sized you up"?? Personally, I'm rather surprised he let you take a test drive....
I didn't wonder...I was quite used to being ignored by sales people. The amusing part was his immediate change of attitude when he saw me heading towards a nice shiny car. He figured I had something to trade in if he could help me fall in love with the Mustang on his lot.

Old 07-13-2021, 09:00 PM

316 posts, read 131,392 times
We're looking to buy a car soon, I've been watching videos on YouTube to see the slimy salesman I will encounter.

Just imagine someone talking to you like this

Old 07-13-2021, 11:36 PM

1,980 posts, read 6,875,819 times
I had to buy another car last weekend. It was actually short notice. Test drove a few used ones, decided on what I want, the local dealer had one in good condition, priced ok. Go test drive, make an offer, the salesperson said it is fine. Then when we go in, they add another $2500 in dealer add ons on a used car. I started laughing, I said you are going to charge me extra on stuff that was already on the car based on the carfax and dealer sheets. They wouldn't budge. Found the same car, lower trim but 10K less miles in a dealer 20 miles away. Called the salesperson for an OTD quote. She was quite upfront. Gave me the quote which was essentially price plus tax and regular fees. Went and test drove car. All was fine. Knocked another $200 off and completed the deal. All in all, we were out of there in 2 hours, plus coffee.

I got the saleswoman's card. I can buy from her again. No monkey business, no extra dances.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:08 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,675,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visual_snacks View Post
We're looking to buy a car soon, I've been watching videos on YouTube to see the slimy salesman I will encounter.

Just imagine someone talking to you like this
Yeah, he's patronizing to the point of being insulting. I would have been out of there long ago.

On the other hand, if I had a car that was still worth $40,000 in trade (which I never would) there's no way I would be thinking about buying a newer car. Assuming she takes care of it she can get another five, probably ten, years out of it.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:15 AM

316 posts, read 131,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Yeah, he's patronizing to the point of being insulting. I would have been out of there long ago.

On the other hand, if I had a car that was still worth $40,000 in trade (which I never would) there's no way I would be thinking about buying a newer car. Assuming she takes care of it she can get another five, probably ten, years out of it.
By the way this is a training video for car salesmen (salespeople, it is 2021), just imagine that, he's giving instructions how to sell a vehicle. Otherwise I agree with you, this setup is dumb, who would trade in a $40k truck.

Early last year I was trying to buy a Toyota SUV, i was told they can't give any discounts because they are rare (a Toyota!). Well they were rare in the sense that production shut down but we're talking about a Toyota not a 100 run Ferrari. This is why dealership system doesn't work, they claim it's to protect the consumer and give them choice but it's really only there to protect their profits.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:32 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,675,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visual_snacks View Post
By the way this is a training video for car salesmen (salespeople, it is 2021), just imagine that, he's giving instructions how to sell a vehicle. Otherwise I agree with you, this setup is dumb, who would trade in a $40k truck.

Early last year I was trying to buy a Toyota SUV, i was told they can't give any discounts because they are rare (a Toyota!). Well they were rare in the sense that production shut down but we're talking about a Toyota not a 100 run Ferrari. This is why dealership system doesn't work, they claim it's to protect the consumer and give them choice but it's really only there to protect their profits.
And you're sure this isn't the "don't be like this guy" part of the video? Amazing.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:09 AM

22,365 posts, read 29,497,078 times
I'll state it again: You customers are the worst.

Old 07-16-2021, 12:44 PM

13,717 posts, read 12,472,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

Why? I always wonder about that line of thought. All that matters is what you paid for it vs what its worth. Sometimes folks get lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive