Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 01:32 AM

30,480 posts, read 19,246,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
See this post:

According to this article:

https://www.thezebra.com/resources/d...%20%2433%2C797.

The average gasoline-powered vehicle is just under $34k

The average price of EV is $67k.

The average price of hybrids in the middle at $39k

According to this article it backs similar numbers for EVs

https://www.findmyelectric.com/blog/...%20%2448%2C000.

"Currently, most estimates put the average price of a new EV somewhere around $64,000, which is slightly lower than the average price in the spring and summer of last year (2022). For comparison, the average price in 2023 of a new car of any kind in the US is around $48,000."

Now considering the article above is within the context of cost to ownership, the higher the initial cost to acquire the car the lesser the savings on maintenance and fuel/powering the vehicle factor in.

Of course, you can cherry-pick individual cars to compare but it doesn't make it generally true. This is ESPECIALLY true if you compare across brands when so many other things factor in (i.e. Supply/Demand and brand strength). BMW sold over 2 million cars in 2021 while Tesla sold just under 1 million. BMW has a very strong brand and thus they can ask for higher prices. This is the reason why the article picked vehicles of similar makes and models to compare.

When we have more options similar to the Bolt, I will consider one. I make a very good income but I'm not interested in spending 60k+ on a depreciating asset that essentially doesn't save much more money than the equivalent gas vehicle. The cost of hybrids are starting to be more reasonable as their purchase price and cost to run is falling somewhere between gas and EVs. I am considering one but I am concern with maintenance over the long run due to having both electric and gasoline systems.

That compared the average price between 10 ICE cars and all EV's. The current price differential is only $5K...$53K for EV and $48K for gas cars. EV's are finally getting cheaper with competition and they will be cheaper than ICE vehicles at some point in time.

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/how-m...tric-car-cost/

Old 08-28-2023, 05:45 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,105,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No one ever factors in how volatile fuel prices are. (Disclaimer, haven't actually read article).

Gasoline could go up to $4.00 in a month. My electric bill stays the same for years at a time as rate increases are usually annually.
How does your electrical bill “stay the same” with rising rates?
Fair question.

Old 08-28-2023, 07:58 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,123,192 times
Using a Mini electric is a poor choice, the car is expensive and has a terrible range.

Old 08-28-2023, 08:22 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,242,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Using a Mini electric is a poor choice, the car is expensive and has a terrible range.
Thanks for mentioning the MINI Electric, I completely forgot about that car and they go for about $20K in my local used market. Range is a little disappointing, but I'm much more interested in the reliability of its components. Not sure how much it shares with the BMW i3 and how many proprietary parts versus off the shelf Bosch parts it has, but this is definitely a top candidate if I had to replace our 2013 Fiat 500e anytime soon. I don't need a lot of range, I've got a Tesla and 700-mile highway ranged VW TDI for that. Small and zippy is what I need for local driving is what I'd use it for.

The MINI has about 50% more power in the motor but only about 30% more usable battery capacity compared to my 10 year old Fiat. I guess the engineers really wanted to make the battery smaller and keep the costs lower.

Old 08-28-2023, 09:04 AM

37,233 posts, read 39,509,972 times
Quote:
I think where it kinda works is that the Mini Cooper, ICE or electric, isn't really a great road trip vehicle since it's small and compact but is a great city runabout and commuter car. In that sense, the range works fine for what its general use is. As mentioned before, its specs and pricing are in line with a Mini Cooper S which is why it's arguably an example of an EV at purchase price parity. There is a new electric Mini that's supposed to come out pretty soon, so it'll be interesting to see how that's priced and spec'd.

Old 08-28-2023, 09:10 AM

37,233 posts, read 39,509,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
Thanks for mentioning the MINI Electric, I completely forgot about that car and they go for about $20K in my local used market. Range is a little disappointing, but I'm much more interested in the reliability of its components. Not sure how much it shares with the BMW i3 and how many proprietary parts versus off the shelf Bosch parts it has, but this is definitely a top candidate if I had to replace our 2013 Fiat 500e anytime soon. I don't need a lot of range, I've got a Tesla and 700-mile highway ranged VW TDI for that. Small and zippy is what I need for local driving is what I'd use it for.

The MINI has about 50% more power in the motor but only about 30% more usable battery capacity compared to my 10 year old Fiat. I guess the engineers really wanted to make the battery smaller and keep the costs lower.

Yea, i3's have been pretty solid. I wonder if the i3 and Mini Cooper SE sharing powertrain parts, a devoted fanbase given how quirky they are, and the higher than entry level MSRP means there's enough of a market for a third party battery replacement to be developed.

Old 08-28-2023, 02:41 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,237,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
A few days ago, within a few minutes of each other, I saw a Lexus ES sedan Hybrid and a Camry Hybrid.

I usually like the styling better on a Lexus between the 'Toyota/Lexus similars', but in this case I prefer the styling of the Camry.
I have a 2006 Prius that is still going great (49mpg) with original battery and brakes. We were just looking to replace our 2015 Camry with a Camry hybrid but the cost and small mileage improvement didn’t seem worth it.
We bought a Tesla instead and charging it at home (we had a 220 garage charger installed) at nighttime electric rate is far less than half the gas cost of the old Camry. But I agree that charging the Tesla at superchargers (at 25-40 cents klh) on road trips is expensive. We have made several thousand mile trips that cost at least $75.

Old 08-28-2023, 09:33 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,229,536 times
Quote:
If one can find a used 2022 Mini E Cooper for $20,000 with a relatively new battery, one would be extremely lucky. However, this little vehicle is heavy, and has a relatively small battery. A range of 110 miles is quite low for a lot of commuters, even with a brand new battery. A new (unused) 2022 Mini Cooper SE still costs over $30,000.
https://www.caranddriver.com/mini/cooper-s-e-2022
Quote:
The Mini Electric has an estimated driving range of 110 miles on a full charge, which is significantly shorter than what alternatives such as the Bolt EV and Nissan Leaf can cover. Mini says the car's battery can be fast charged to 80 percent in 35 minutes. If you're using home AC charging at 7.4 kilowatts, you can completely restore the battery in four hours. The little hatchback's two-mode regenerative braking system also helps to maximize battery charge.
The 2022 ICE mini Cooper by comparison starts at $24,000. The ICE "sport" version doubles the mile-range of the SE model, but it is more expensive than the base model. The base Mini Cooper is shown as a 32 MPG (combined, or 29 city/38 highway), so assuming that it has an 8-gallon tank, I believe that it has a mile range of 256 or so "combined" miles.

Quote:
Base prices rise by $500, with the Cooper Hardtop starting at $23,750, the Cooper S at $27,750, and the JCW at $33,750. The Cooper Convertible starts at $28,750 and the electric Mini holds the line on price, starting at $30,750. The updated 2022 models start production in March and should arrive at U.S. dealerships shortly after that.
MPG of the ICE Mini Cooper:
https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/...I_Cooper.shtml

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-28-2023 at 09:55 PM..

Old 08-29-2023, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think where it kinda works is that the Mini Cooper, ICE or electric, isn't really a great road trip vehicle since it's small and compact but is a great city runabout and commuter car. In that sense, the range works fine for what its general use is. As mentioned before, its specs and pricing are in line with a Mini Cooper S which is why it's arguably an example of an EV at purchase price parity. There is a new electric Mini that's supposed to come out pretty soon, so it'll be interesting to see how that's priced and spec'd.
I'd agree with everything but the small/compact part......they have gotten bloated in the last few versions.

Old 08-29-2023, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
If one can find a used 2022 Mini E Cooper for $20,000 with a relatively new battery, one would be extremely lucky. However, this little vehicle is heavy, and has a relatively small battery. A range of 110 miles is quite low for a lot of commuters, even with a brand new battery. A new (unused) 2022 Mini Cooper SE still costs over $30,000.
https://www.caranddriver.com/mini/cooper-s-e-2022

The 2022 ICE mini Cooper by comparison starts at $24,000. The ICE "sport" version doubles the mile-range of the SE model, but it is more expensive than the base model. The base Mini Cooper is shown as a 32 MPG (combined, or 29 city/38 highway), so assuming that it has an 8-gallon tank, I believe that it has a mile range of 256 or so "combined" miles.

MPG of the ICE Mini Cooper:
https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/...I_Cooper.shtml

All Mini's come with a 11.6 gallon tank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive