Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2023, 07:49 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I'd agree with everything but the small/compact part......they have gotten bloated in the last few versions.
Yea, we can adjust it to relatively small / compact since vehicles in general have bloated out quite a bit.

Old 08-29-2023, 12:30 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
All Mini's come with a 11.6 gallon tank
I was not aware of that. So the base Mini Cooper's drive range nearly triples the drive-mile range of the electric Mini Cooper.

Old 08-29-2023, 02:38 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I was not aware of that. So the base Mini Cooper's drive range nearly triples the drive-mile range of the electric Mini Cooper.
Yes, though the comparison should be against the Mini Cooper S given the features and performance.

The Mini Cooper SE vs Mini Cooper S comparison is sort of an odd case because people generally aren't going to be towing or taking long road trips with a Mini Cooper. As such, this is why the Mini Cooper SE despite its low range is arguably an example of an EV at roughly purchase price parity while three years of operation will have it substantially ahead of the Mini Cooper S before incentives. The ICE Mini Coopers take premium gasoline and though at least they aren't incredibly thirsty.

It'll be interesting to see how the comparison for the next generation of Mini Cooper compares because that's also coming in both electric and ICE formats and this time the electric one will also come with a lower power output trim level. Unfortunately, production for the electric version will be in China which means that it will be hit by tariffs and there hasn't yet been any announcement of having production lines for the Mini Cooper Electric to Europe or NA. The only electric Mini that's currently planned for manufacturing outside of China is the Mini Countryman.

Old 08-29-2023, 04:17 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, though the comparison should be against the Mini Cooper S given the features and performance.

The Mini Cooper SE vs Mini Cooper S comparison is sort of an odd case because people generally aren't going to be towing or taking long road trips with a Mini Cooper. As such, this is why the Mini Cooper SE despite its low range is arguably an example of an EV at roughly purchase price parity while three years of operation will have it substantially ahead of the Mini Cooper S before incentives. The ICE Mini Coopers take premium gasoline and though at least they aren't incredibly thirsty.

It'll be interesting to see how the comparison for the next generation of Mini Cooper compares because that's also coming in both electric and ICE formats and this time the electric one will also come with a lower power output trim level. Unfortunately, production for the electric version will be in China which means that it will be hit by tariffs and there hasn't yet been any announcement of having production lines for the Mini Cooper Electric to Europe or NA. The only electric Mini that's currently planned for manufacturing outside of China is the Mini Countryman.
In the real world, I'd take the MINI EV as a cost-saver compared to the ICE version. Have you ever worked on an ICE MINI? PITA. Everything is crammed together and stacked on top. Clutch replacement, oil cooler hoses, oil filter housing, etc...it's madness.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:57 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
In the real world, I'd take the MINI EV as a cost-saver compared to the ICE version. Have you ever worked on an ICE MINI? PITA. Everything is crammed together and stacked on top. Clutch replacement, oil cooler hoses, oil filter housing, etc...it's madness.
I would take new ICE Mini Cooper, and drive it until the 3-year/36,000-mile warranty is nearly over. There is no way I would work on any of the new vehicles of today

Old 08-31-2023, 08:11 AM

12 posts, read 5,462 times
It all depends on how many miles are driven per year. For some it makes sense, for many others it doesn't. That doesn't mean people purchase purely as a financial decision. iPhones are more expensive than virtually every other smartphone but they'r the most popular in the US.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:47 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The Lucid Air costs $125,600 (base model). If you’re trying to sell the idea that EVs can be for the working people, you ought to pick a better example.

The topic is about the affordability of pure electric cars. I remain unconvinced.
My referencing the Lucid Air was only to address the false comment that no EV had the capability to go 500 miles. Also the Lucid Air starts at $82,400 for the base model not $125K - add incentives and you are at about $75K - you are off by $40K (almost $50K with incentives) from the actual base model price.

As for affordable, many EVs are already at par cost vs there ICE counterparts. There are many can be had for well under what people are already paying for the average new vehicle - a little over $48K according to Kelly Blue Book info. There are EV's that are already less than $30K well equipped.

Normally, if an EV is too much, you are not really looking at a comparable new vehicle. The Lucid Air would be comparable to a larger luxury car like a BMW 7 or MB S but can be bought for less less. Some seem to want to compare a fairly low end ICE with less equipment and features to the top end equipped EV - that is not a real comparison.

Just to be clear - I am not trying to sell anyone on EVs just counter the false info.

Last edited by ddeemo; 08-31-2023 at 09:58 AM..

Old 08-31-2023, 11:08 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
My referencing the Lucid Air was only to address the false comment that no EV had the capability to go 500 miles. Also the Lucid Air starts at $82,400 for the base model not $125K - add incentives and you are at about $75K - you are off by $40K (almost $50K with incentives) from the actual base model price.

As for affordable, many EVs are already at par cost vs there ICE counterparts. There are many can be had for well under what people are already paying for the average new vehicle - a little over $48K according to Kelly Blue Book info. There are EV's that are already less than $30K well equipped.

Normally, if an EV is too much, you are not really looking at a comparable new vehicle. The Lucid Air would be comparable to a larger luxury car like a BMW 7 or MB S but can be bought for less less. Some seem to want to compare a fairly low end ICE with less equipment and features to the top end equipped EV - that is not a real comparison.

Just to be clear - I am not trying to sell anyone on EVs just counter the false info.
Some EV's are cheaper and better than their ICE competition. The Model Y Performance is $54M (plus a possible $7500 tax incentive) and it's super fast and super efficient compared to any ICE comparable vehicle and the technology is better as well.

Old 08-31-2023, 11:36 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMenNorthofRichmond View Post
It all depends on how many miles are driven per year. For some it makes sense, for many others it doesn't. That doesn't mean people purchase purely as a financial decision. iPhones are more expensive than virtually every other smartphone but they'r the most popular in the US.
Not really true - According to the US DOT, over 99% of trips are less than 100 miles - which means those trips could be done with all charging at home for those trips. I have been driving EVs for over 8 years, filling up every night with just seconds to connect and at a very low cost to fill. My DW's EV vehicle does about 10K a year for the last 4+ years and has only been charged at home. I drive about 16K miles a year in an EV which is more than most people drive - much of it on longer trips which I do about once a month. Charging even on the road has not been an issue ever. Range is not the issue many seem to think.

I drive an EV because I like the high performance and automation - the low cost of operation and maintenance is a nice added benefit. I really don't care what you drive or the reasons for it, but the miles driven is not really a big factor as many think.

BTW - I would never own an iPhone or Mac - I used to manage a very, very large network and very sophisticated comm systems for the military and am well versed with the issues they have (that most would not be aware of) - too many issues for use on a secure / classified network.

Old 08-31-2023, 11:58 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post

You're wrong. The Lucid Air does start in the 80s, but that model only goes 410 miles or so. To get the 500 mile range you cited, you have to get the touring model as described in my link, and that is $126K.

Tesla has a car coming out in 2024, the Tesla Roadster 2.0, that will have 600 miles of range, but it is likely to be low six figures at the very least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive