Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:18 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,234,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I think if someone came up with a way that you could order 'personalized sounds' on your key chain like you can on a cell phone....they would make a lot of money.
Any decent aftermarket alarm can be programmed to silently arm/disarm. All of mine have always been silent because drawing attention to the fact that my vehicle or it's contents may be worth stealing is counter to having the alarm in the first place. As has been mentioned, factory alarms can probably be programmed the same way.

Aftermarket alarms also have the ability to change the sound of the siren, although I've never heard one that's been changed. it's east to do. Two way remotes are also available that will show you the status of the alarm and other features on the key fob itself, negating any reason to keep the chirp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 04:30 AM

16,673 posts, read 17,440,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Nowadays, you can't be in a parking lot, apartment complex or any other public place without ppl honking their car horns when they lock their car doors, oftentimes late at night. Does this honk set some kind of intrusion alarm for the car or are ppl just trying to be annoying to merely lock their doors by pressing their key remote?

Just seen this thread.

Really annoying.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:33 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,141,256 times
I want one that after the first click it goes Ahoooga, and on the second I want it to be a train horn.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:44 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,620,536 times
Looks like a one post newbe pulled up a 2 year old thread to start their history here.
Our trucks allow us to use horn, headlight or no alert on locking. The horn is no big deal, just a light toot.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:52 AM

248 posts, read 443,031 times
After reading this thread, I will be more sensitive to my neighbours comfort....

Old 04-19-2011, 06:51 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times
My 2000 Honda makes a fairly-quiet electronic "beep." One beep for locked, two for unlocked. Can come in handy in a car park.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Any decent aftermarket alarm can be programmed to silently arm/disarm. All of mine have always been silent because drawing attention to the fact that my vehicle or it's contents may be worth stealing is counter to having the alarm in the first place. As has been mentioned, factory alarms can probably be programmed the same way.

Aftermarket alarms also have the ability to change the sound of the siren, although I've never heard one that's been changed. it's east to do. Two way remotes are also available that will show you the status of the alarm and other features on the key fob itself, negating any reason to keep the chirp.
Persoanlly I gave up on after market alrams with their universal wiring and problems long ago.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:55 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,536,422 times
It wasn't an issue ten years ago or so when it was on luxury cars and people knew how to act and it was rare. When it trickled down to average cars, everyone thinks they are special and locks/unlocks their cars by pressing the button 100 times. It is annoying sometimes, especially if this is an old feature to you.

Oh well....no biggie..

Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,036,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Our trucks allow us to use horn, headlight or no alert on locking. The horn is no big deal, just a light toot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
My 2000 Honda makes a fairly-quiet electronic "beep." One beep for locked, two for unlocked. Can come in handy in a car park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Oh well....no biggie..
It is a big deal when your street sounds like a parking lot. One toot might not matter to you but when you hear it all day long it is enough to drive someone crazy.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:05 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,148,577 times
My Ford Explorer had the honk and I disliked it. Sometimes I would forget and hit my remote while walking in front it. It used to startle me. My toyota beeps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive