Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 11:05 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,981 times

Advertisements

Love the looks (been there several times) but don't care for the maintenance issues. Also, the darker the car is creates an easier profile for laser speed hits, not that I ever speed . A light silver seems to work best for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 04:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Black is good for Diesels (doesn't show soot!) But it is tough to keep clean in a 280 day / yr 'rainy' environment. AND is pretty hot on the few days it doesn't rain.

The Stealth Rabbit

Old 03-22-2009, 08:11 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,352 times
IMo, every color looks dirty when it's just a little dirty. But I'm more picky than most. Black is a great color, I would only advise that you take a few lessons in detailing to care for it. Take extra care claying, waxing/polishing etc, and it'll be just like any car afterwards. If you're like me you do that anyway. Mequire's Gold Class wax is great for black.

Here's what a clay bar and two coats of Gold Class gets you:

Old 03-23-2009, 09:48 AM

687 posts, read 2,951,663 times
I've got 2 cars in the drive, both black(Tundra and PT)....pain in the arse to keep even decent looking for more than 1/2 a day. Shows every scratch, dirt, dust, grandkids fingerprints....and I love the way they look when clean and polished.
Yes, in the Arizona desert heat they are hotter,definitely.
But I'll go back to red or offwhite on the next cars.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:22 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
I don't like either black or white cars. I say get a color that can been seen from a mile away and install huge headlights front and back. So many wrecks are caused just by not being able to see the car.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:32 PM

288 posts, read 1,555,226 times
Pro: You can touch up rust with rust converter very easily.
Con: Scratches show up very easily.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:54 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I have a black car and tend to have the lights on for the reason the poster above raised, though I think that cars that are the same colour as the road surface (grey) are harder to pick up.
I read a study years ago that said the most visible color to other drivers was orange; the most invisible was dark green. I actually drove an orange car for a few years and it certainly was visible! Now my car is silver and doesn't attract any attention, but haven't had any close calls, either, knock on wood.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:08 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Only wreck I had was with a black car. It was in the shadows and I didn't see it. It hit me on the side of my car when I crossed the street. I absolutely hate black cars. I could have been killed. Totaled my car. My fault but what can you do when you can't see black in shadows on a sunny day?
I know exactly what you mean. I drive a car I recently painted florescent orange and haven't been in any accidents since.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:06 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I don't like either black or white cars. I say get a color that can been seen from a mile away and install huge headlights front and back. So many wrecks are caused just by not being able to see the car.
Many more wrecks are caused by folks too busy talking, or off in space via mind-altering substances, to spend much time driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Love the looks (been there several times) but don't care for the maintenance issues. Also, the darker the car is creates an easier profile for laser speed hits, not that I ever speed . A light silver seems to work best for me.
I believe laser likes white or chrome best. #1 target is usually a license plate or headlight. Black absorbs light, including laser beans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Too hot for me.
Warm in winter.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:04 PM

969 posts, read 2,819,875 times
I said I would never own a black car for all of the stated reasons. Then I saw a Black on Black Infiniti G35 with the dark crome wheels.....................and I brought it home! Yes, the swirly scratches bug me and it is hard to keep clean, but when it is clean, man, it looks awesome. I figure if it gets too bad I may repaint it in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive