Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of transmission do you prefer?
Automatic 100 29.15%
Manual 175 51.02%
Both 68 19.83%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:28 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times

Advertisements

I must just be weird in that I actually prefer a manual in traffic. At least a modern one with a very light assisted clutch. It's always my right leg that ends up bothering me for long periods in traffic where you have to hit the brakes a lot more in an automatic. Easier to crawl in 1st in a manual or just let the clutch out briefly before returning to neutral to goose it along slower than an automatic's idle speed in Drive.

I think the general statement of them being bad in traffic must come from older/sport vehicles with heavy clutches having been many folks prior experience.

The smaller and less powered the car(like a Corolla) the more important it is to have a manual in my opinion so that you keep as much of the little power that there is and don't lose it to an inefficient auto's drivetrain loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 11:06 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The smaller and less powered the car(like a Corolla) the more important it is to have a manual in my opinion so that you keep as much of the little power that there is and don't lose it to an inefficient auto's drivetrain loss.

I completely concur. Small engine cars need good manuals to get the most out of them, with the exception of many turbocharged versions where the automatic will keep the turbo on the boil DURING the shift (as you don't have to let off to shift). Larger engine cars can be fine either way, with cars like my 740i Sport being perfectly suited to it's automatic, even when corner carving. Most every car I've ever bought new has had a sub-2.5 liter engine, so they all had manuals. But the bigger cars have gone either way, depending on availability.

I don't find traffic fun, so I don't find either transmission choice fun in that scenario, and find that a manual is simply more work than an auto in traffic. As I said on another forum: Push in the clutch, shift to first, let out the clutch, push in the clutch, shift to second, let out the clutch, push in the clutch, coast a moment, let out the clutch, Push in the clutch, shift to first, let out the clutch, push in the clutch, shift to second, let out the clutch, push in the clutch, coast a moment, let out the clutch, Push in the clutch, shift to first, let out the clutch, push in the clutch, shift to second, let out the clutch, push in the clutch, coast a moment, let out the clutch, for ****ing ever. Yeah, that's SOOOOO exciting fun, and special. And engaging... Not.

And as someone else said:

Regular, well-adjusted enthusiast that likes cars: "I prefer manuals for sporty cars, but cars that don't have manuals can be great to drive too. If a clutch pedal was the sole signifier of a great car, we'd all be driving base model Camrys."

Manual Jihadist: "Why do you hate manuals? Why do you want manuals to disappear altogether? Allahu cluthpedal!"

Old 02-05-2016, 11:19 AM

Right, being in traffic sucks regardless. It's not that it's more fun or engaging in a stick. But rather that it takes a bigger toll on me in an automatic.

I tried to compromise with an auto in one of the best forms there is, the DSG in a GTI. I sold it 2 years later still loving the car, but desperately wanting to get back into a manual. I'd rather drive a Kia Soul with a stick than an automatic S4.

I do drive the wife's automatic v6 RAV4 pretty regularly as we take that out shopping and hiking and such. But my right leg hates me for it if we get into traffic.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:28 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Manual Jihadist: "Why do you hate manuals? Why do you want manuals to disappear altogether? Allahu cluthpedal!"

Meh, I drove manual transmission cars for 25 years because:
* cars were underpowered and an automatic couldn't get out of it's own way
* slushomatics got lousy gas mileage
* manual transmission cars were cheaper
* for snow driving and mountain hill descents, I had more control with a manual than with the PRNDL thingie

Today, I drive a 256 hp Subaru Outback with a CVT. It does a 7 second 0 to 60 if I care to mash the gas pedal to the floor complete with fake shift points for god knows what reason. My last daily driver was a VW GTI with that DSG dual clutch "automated manual" and paddle shifters on the steering wheel I only used mountain and snow driving. Hill descent with the Outback CVT using the floppy things on the steering wheel to pretend it's in a lower gear works fine for hill descents. I run Nokian snow tires so a manual transmission wouldn't buy me much of anything in winter driving. CVT gets better fuel economy than a manual transmission these days. The police won and I drive around with the cruise control set exactly at the speed limit on secondary roads. Enthusiastic enforcement of the speed limit to supplement town budgets has pretty much killed any notion of "spirited driving". Speed limit + 9 with cruise control on the highway. Speed limit on secondary roads. My car is an appliance.

If I had a summer fun car, then yeah, I'd want a manual transmission. For a daily driver, I don't care. I proved decades ago that I could use a clutch and throttle properly on a car with no synchromesh. I don't have to prove that now. And that "Manual Jihadist: Allahu Clutchpedal" line is great!

Old 02-05-2016, 12:06 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
I must just be weird in that I actually prefer a manual in traffic. At least a modern one with a very light assisted clutch. It's always my right leg that ends up bothering me for long periods in traffic where you have to hit the brakes a lot more in an automatic. Easier to crawl in 1st in a manual or just let the clutch out briefly before returning to neutral to goose it along slower than an automatic's idle speed in Drive.
You do realize that your can crawl in 1st with an automatic transmission, too?

Old 02-05-2016, 12:09 PM

Of course. But in my experience gear ratios in an automatic usually have 1st at idle speed going faster so you have to ride the brake or shift between D and N.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:39 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Of course. But in my experience gear ratios in an automatic usually have 1st at idle speed going faster so you have to ride the brake or shift between D and N.
My cars will crawl in 1st gear at about 5-8 mph. If I need to slow down, I use the brakes as you mentioned. It's no more trouble than letting the clutch out. Fortunately, I am not struck in traffic often.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:56 PM

Yeah it's that need to ride the brakes in an auto in crawling traffic that bugs my leg. Especially when you're stuck in it for 30mins+. Can switch between D/N but that's a clunky experience and just not in that mindset in an auto. Also probably not good for it.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:20 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Yeah it's that need to ride the brakes in an auto in crawling traffic that bugs my leg. Especially when you're stuck in it for 30mins+. Can switch between D/N but that's a clunky experience and just not in that mindset in an auto. Also probably not good for it.

Doesn't hurt the trans to do it, and slightly riding the brakes vs pumping the leg in and out? I've driven both manual and automatic cars back to back on the same commute and the manual is always clunkier and less comfortable, for the reasons I posted above.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:24 PM

Yeah, holding it for extended periods in the ride the brake position bugs me much more than occasionally pumping the left leg. Maybe if I took up left leg braking in the auto it would be better.

But as I said in my initial assertion I must be weird. I'm also 6'7 with long legs so maybe it's just the angles involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive