Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 05:32 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,248 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm trying to decide on which is the better car for me. I presently have a 2000 Malibu. I love the CRV (would buy a used 06); but mostly, I would use the car on weekends for trips to the beach, hiking, etc. I take the bus to work so during the week I would just use it eves. for local food shopping. The Corolla I'd buy would be newer, maybe an 08 or 09. I know the Corolla is economical. I have 2 small dogs. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 07:15 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,091 times
Either would be fine if the dogs are small. You may also like the Honda Element since the seats fold up and fold down and it is easy to clean out. I do not like the most-recent version of the CR-V. I know this is a female target design, but I think they took it a bit too far. I'm sure it's a fine vehicle though.

Our large dog is happy in a small hatchback for long trips since we just fold the seat down. I assume your dogs are small enough to sit on the back seat of a Corolla? The Matrix/Vibe has some extra room in the back but can be hard to find used it seems.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:45 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
I do not see how the Corolla or any similar vehicle is a good choice for frequent trips to the beach or to carry dogs of any size.

Just my opinion but I think the new CRV is beautiful and distinctive. The arched window line is handsome and keeps the CRV from looking like every other boxy compact SUV on the market.

The Element is a good choice too. The easy clean interior and versatile seating make it a great beach+dog vehicle.

The Subaru Forrester would be a great choice. AWD, great reliability and nice to drive.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 AM

Thanks Caution and Hoffdano.
Hoffdano, why don't you think the Corolla is good for frequent trips to the beach? Wouldn't it be more economical in terms of gas? I agree with Caution that I don't like the newer CRV--I do prefer the 06s with the squarer design. What I'm wondering is, does it make sense to have an SUV when I mainly use it for weekend driving? I can basically only afford an older CRV--I cannot afford to buy an 09 or 10. I could afford a newer Corolla and I'm wondering if that would be more practical and economic even though I love the CRVs. Thank you everyone--I really appreciate your input.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:20 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
The CR-V is basically a Civic with a fwd-biased awd system, and a Corolla is a normal fwd car. If you are looking for a reliable car for taking on light offroad duty, I'd recommend a used Subaru Forester or Outback - especially if you like "squarer design". If you're going to be on roads that are less than paved, I'd want the best awd system for that, and that's Subaru's.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Or compromise between the two with the Matrix which is built on the same Corolla platform. Scion XD would probably be more affordable for you than a new Matrix while offering much the same qualities plus fuel efficiency.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:31 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
I would go with the CR-V because the Corolla is going cramped, in comparison. If you have more than one human passenger, the back seat on a CR-V is much more comfortable, and you still have use of the cargo area, not a relatively small trunk. And, since you are not going to be commuting in it, the extra fuel cost will likely be negligible for your use over the ownership period.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-10-2009, 09:38 AM

5,866 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Have you also considered a Toyota Rav4? I looked at Rav4's and CRV's before I bought my 2001 Rav4 and I loved the ride and handling of the Rav over the CRV. However, they've made some good improvements in the CRV since that time. I absolutely loved the convenience of the Rav for road trips - I think you would be happier with a Rav or CRV over the Corolla in that respect. Corollas are economical but lack the cargo space and flexibility of the small SUV. We took my Rav on many trips and used the roof rack for boogie boards, lawn chairs, and even luggage.

I also agree that the Subaru Forrester is another great option.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:38 AM

Bmwguydc, you would say then, to buy the older CRV, as compared to the newer Corolla? Also, does anyone know if in the CRV, if you fold the back seats up, will the cargo cover cover the entire area? Or do the seats have to be in the upright position to use the cargo cover? thanks.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:41 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,566 times
I like the Toyota and it holds its value....The CR-V is just OK while the Toyota is a tad better, in my opinion..Always quiet and we traded our RAV4 in with 21,000 miles and received almost as much as if it were new fro a traded in on another Toyota. . Good luck and i know an auto is a very personal choice so good luck with your newer car/suv/crossover...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive