Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:13 PM

9,884 posts, read 11,000,630 times

Advertisements

Let's see...
1994 Dodge Ram 3500, filler in the LEFT rear fender.
Subaru Outback, filler on the RIGHT side.
Jeep Wrangler, filler on the LEFT side.
AMC Eagle SX/4, filler behind the license plate.
1957 Chevy had the filler behind a door on the end of the LEFT tailfin, above the taillight.

When discussing vehicles, LEFT and RIGHT are as you are sitting in the front seat, facing forward.
The LEFT side of the vehicle is the DRIVER'S SIDE.
The RIGHT side of the vehicle is the PASSENGER side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 11:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I can't stand my Explorer having it on the passenger side. It took me a long time to get used to it. Of course by the time I did, I traded cars with DH and had to remember it was on the drivers side!

It took me forever before I finally realized 99% of cars have an arrow on the gas odometer...
Either that or the little gas pump illustration on the fuel gauge will tell you. Whichever side the hose and dispenser are on, that's the side of the car the filler door is on.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:41 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,647,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The LEFT side of the vehicle is the DRIVER'S SIDE.
The RIGHT side of the vehicle is the PASSENGER side.
That's right.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:47 PM

38,973 posts, read 22,975,788 times
The fuel filler door on my 95 Mazda Protege is on the driver's side. I usually fill up at my local Costco's gas station, and the hoses on their gas pumps are long enough to reach, even though the fuel door is on the opposite side. One of the attendants on duty informed me of this, so to me, it doesn't matter which side the gas pump is--at Costco, anyway.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:18 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,263,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Here's the '56 Chevy fuel filler location. The driver's side taillight was on a hinge.
Thats where its located on my grandpas 55 Cadillac as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We were at a gas station today and it was really busy. Cars were lined up, some backing in, some pulling through, facing each other, etc. It was really kind of crazy. Some cars had tanks on the right, while others had tanks on the left. It got me thinking...was it always this way in the past? When I was a kid, a lot of the doors were behind the license plate and it didn't matter how you pulled into the station. Today it seemed very chaotic. Is there a reason why it is placed on one side or another? Would it be easier if all cars had the door on the same side, or would that be just another unecessary control? Just wondering.
Interesting someone brought this up, as it has bothered me for years. I own 4 cars. TWO of them (my Lexus and Mercedes) have them on the right, the 72 Caprice wagon has it on the left and my 73 Pontiac has it in the center, behind the license plate.

Pros and cons for me. I like the concept of them on the passenger side, making it easier to pull close to the pump and get out, but seems like most cars have them on the driver side and sometimes its hard to "go with the flow" and get on there to get gas on my cars with the filler on the passenger side. My moms 1997 Oldsmobile also has it on the passenger side. The one with it on the driverside & cars I have owned in the past with it on the left side... seems easier to get in the pumps.

NOW, my car with the one in the center... I love it, because I can pull in anywhere... any side. However its not all that fun on the knees squatting down to get the nozzle in the tank and since its an old car, it has the huge filler opening and when the car fills you have to be careful because sometimes the cutoff dont occur fast enough and gas spews out.

Again, I like the concept of the right side.... but would be better if more cars had it on that side. The center is good too, but the squatting is not all that fun.... especially when filling a 26 gallon tank and you have slow pump. lol.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:10 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,690,028 times
I had a 70's Chevy pick-up with dual tanks, and it had fillers on BOTH sides. What a PITA that was...

Old 01-03-2010, 09:19 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,728,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
NOW, my car with the one in the center... I love it, because I can pull in anywhere... any side. However its not all that fun on the knees squatting down to get the nozzle in the tank and since its an old car, it has the huge filler opening and when the car fills you have to be careful because sometimes the cutoff dont occur fast enough and gas spews out.

Again, I like the concept of the right side.... but would be better if more cars had it on that side. The center is good too, but the squatting is not all that fun.... especially when filling a 26 gallon tank and you have slow pump. lol.
Nope, nope, nope... there are absolutely NO draw backs to the center filler door behind the plate, none! I never have to squat at all... how tall are you? Another advantage of the "center" doors is if there is no little locking latch on the pump nozzle, you can sit on the bumper while its filling up!

26 gallon tank... I'm guessing that's in one of your GM barges.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:23 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,766,616 times
Every vehicle I've owned had it on the driver's side. I like it that way, because when you step out of the car it's right there beside you, but you do have to make sure to give yourself enough room to open the door.

My dad had a '77 Chevy pickup, and my brother had an '85 Chevy pickup. They were practically the same truck, yet they had their gas fillers on opposite sides.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 AM

11,373 posts, read 16,754,753 times
German Manufacturers put theirs on the right side.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:57 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,453,408 times
I prefer drivers side as well, for the judging distance to pumps / posts. My Miata is drivers side, but hubby's monster Explorer (ok, for me - a Miata driver - an Explorer is a bus!) it's on the passenger side. I hate it. I always forget and pre-pay for gas and then look like a moron pulling the line around the back or having to pull out and back into the space. Makes me nuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive