Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:53 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,261,318 times

Advertisements

LOL... yep, I was referring to my 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville. Its possible to bend over, but I have a bad back and sometimes I have to squat... also for some reason if I set the handle to pump and stop when full, it sometimes fails to stop before gas starts blasting out.

Yeah, my 72 Chevy wagon has like a 24 gallon tank, but its high up on the driverside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Nope, nope, nope... there are absolutely NO draw backs to the center filler door behind the plate, none! I never have to squat at all... how tall are you? Another advantage of the "center" doors is if there is no little locking latch on the pump nozzle, you can sit on the bumper while its filling up!

26 gallon tank... I'm guessing that's in one of your GM barges.
Yeah, all of my Mercedes have had them on the right side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
German Manufacturers put theirs on the right side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 08:36 PM

441 posts, read 1,328,607 times
All European cars (except UK) have it on the passenger side. I guess as a safety measure iun case of refilling.

Japanese cars usually have it on the driver side, because their drive on the left side of the road.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:42 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,800,723 times
Never have understood the placement of the filler neck on some vehicles.

On the 1928-1930 Model A Fords, the gas filler neck was forward of the windshield.

On my Nova, my Chevelle, both of my Regals and both of the Cutlasses I once owned the filler neck was behind the license plate, so it didn't matter what side of the pump i rolled up to. I actually like it better this way.

Dad's Camaro also has it on the rear panel between the tail lamps.

My S-10's, my Couriers had it on the drivers side.

I think dad's 78 Chevy had it passenger side.....didn't seem to make sense, and it was a single tank truck.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,456,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
Opposite the exhaust pipe on single exhaust cars.
That seems to make sense from a safety standpoint, but one exception I can think of is the Dodge Neon, which has both the tailpipe and the fuel door on the passenger side--at least on the pre-2000 Neons, and I think on the 2000-2004 models as well.

I like the passenger side for the fuel door. It's easier for me to find an available space at the gas station since the majority of cars nowadays have the fuel doors on the driver's side. I don't mind walking around the car, since I (almost, at least!) never pay with a credit card. I either go inside to pre-pay, or pay at the island if it's an Arco station, so it's a moot point with me.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:52 PM

472 posts, read 741,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Never have understood the placement of the filler neck on some vehicles.

On the 1928-1930 Model A Fords, the gas filler neck was forward of the windshield.
The fuel tank on those cars was forward of the winshield and I believe they were gravity fed.

My brother had a 1932 Chevrolet pickup with the fuel tank under the seat. You had to remove the seat to fill up.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:59 PM

941 posts, read 3,916,085 times
I prefer the fuel doors to be on the driver's side.

Yes, the 1973/87 GMC/Chevy pickups were fitted with fuel doors on both sides if you ordered dual tanks. That's Guberment Motors for you, LOL!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,931 times
I prefer the driver's side fillup, especially at night, with the van, so that i can keep my unlocked driver's door in sight, as i fill and pay at the pump. I also don't have to walk between my vehicle, and any others dealing with the next pump, or driving through the space there.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:29 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,315,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We were at a gas station today and it was really busy. Cars were lined up, some backing in, some pulling through, facing each other, etc. It was really kind of crazy. Some cars had tanks on the right, while others had tanks on the left. It got me thinking...was it always this way in the past? When I was a kid, a lot of the doors were behind the license plate and it didn't matter how you pulled into the station. Today it seemed very chaotic. Is there a reason why it is placed on one side or another? Would it be easier if all cars had the door on the same side, or would that be just another unecessary control? Just wondering.
I guess I have the best of all possible worlds. I drive a '95 Vette and the cap for the gas tank is on top of rear deck of the car. If your facing the front of the car from the rear it's just below the opening for rear hatch. So it doesn't make any difference which side I pull up to a gas pump from as long as not too far from the pump I'm good.

All things being equal if the opening to the gas tank is on the side of the car I prefer the drivers side. I can just get out the car and pump gas without walking around the car.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:11 PM

890 posts, read 3,705,554 times
My Hyundai, dad's Acura and mom's Lexus are all on the left but my sister's Subaru (Japanese build) bucks the trend by being on the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive