Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:33 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
HHRs are imitation PT Cruisers IMO. I call the HHR the Me Too cruiser

Im sure its a good car, but I have not driven it. I have driven the PT Cruiser and its pretty decent
yeah I would test both the HHr and the PT head to head to see which one the OP like to drive more plus the PT GT comes with the turbo SRT-4 motor while the HHR SS only gets the base N/A cobalt SS motor plus the PT GT convertible looks pretty fun and a wicked beach cruiser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 04:17 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times
Quote:

Im sure its a good car, but I have not driven it. I have driven the PT Cruiser and its pretty decent
PT Cruiser was built on the Neon platform. The HHR was built on the Cobalt platform. The man who designed the PT Cruiser also designed the HHR. He gave the HHR more functional cargo space. My aunt and uncle owned a PT Cruiser for a while and traded it in because of the lack of cargo space. Unless you fold down the back seat, there's very little cargo space at all.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:32 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
I hate that vehicle and it is a major reason why I avoid Avis.

I am tall and find myself having to crouch down to see the traffic light. The visibility in that car is absolutely unacceptable. YMMV.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:32 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,072,505 times
I spent a week with one as a rental in LA and I would never wish that tragedy on four wheels upon anyone. If you have no preference as to the decency of your surroundings then you might enjoy it.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:47 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I am tall and find myself having to crouch down to see the traffic light. The visibility in that car is absolutely unacceptable. YMMV.
My sister has had one for quite some time, and she loves it.

She is about 5'1". I am 6'3" and I was never comfortable driving it, visibility being part of that.

I also found that it's cargo utility was compromised constrictive C-pillars.

But it does have decent cargo space, is capable if not exciting, and looks... well that is in the eye of the beholder and isn't a huge concern for me.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:08 PM

95 posts, read 141,143 times
I bought one 11/07. The brake rotors have been turned twice, tires replaced, and ergonomics have become hard to live with. The chrome has delaminated from the door handles.

The low profile tires are not good if you are in an area with crummy roads. The rims will get bent and cause a vibration. I couldn't avoid every pothole. You can repair the wheel, but it will never be the same.

It is a relatively cheap car, and that is the problem. I should have kept my SUV and took the hit on the gas. 152,000miles on a v8 mercury mountaineer, 16mpg, but still was the overall cheapest, most reliable, and driver friendly vehicle I have owned.

If you can avoid it, please don't buy a chevy hhr. Keep in mind if you try to sell it, the resale takes a much worse dive than other vehicles. You may end up stuck with it.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:42 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times
Thanks for all the opinions but have already decided to buy one. We read many reviews, spoke to several people that have one and test drove two and all were great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
yeah I would test both the HHr and the PT head to head to see which one the OP like to drive more plus the PT GT comes with the turbo SRT-4 motor while the HHR SS only gets the base N/A cobalt SS motor plus the PT GT convertible looks pretty fun and a wicked beach cruiser
Sorry but we don't like the PT Cruiser plus I see way too many on the road where I live, mostly senior citizens. We like something sportier. The pic was nice but that model is going above our price range. Plus we had rented one a few years ago and weren't thrilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I'm 5'7 and my DH is 6'2 and neither of us have a problem with it. He rented one once and we both test drove two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I spent a week with one as a rental in LA and I would never wish that tragedy on four wheels upon anyone. If you have no preference as to the decency of your surroundings then you might enjoy it.
Didn't get this comment but we don't live in LA so we dont sit in traffic anywhere close to what LA has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
My sister has had one for quite some time, and she loves it.

She is about 5'1". I am 6'3" and I was never comfortable driving it, visibility being part of that.

I also found that it's cargo utility was compromised constrictive C-pillars.

But it does have decent cargo space, is capable if not exciting, and looks... well that is in the eye of the beholder and isn't a huge concern for me.
The cargo space is more than I've ever had in a vehicle so I doubt that will be an issue anyway. I do have a question for you though...at 6'3 you say it was uncomfortable? May I ask what made it uncomfortable? I'm guessing because of the short windshield, which I was a little concerned for my DH but he says it's not an issue. He has plenty of head space, especially compared to what we drive now. I've asked him several times if he thinks the windshield will be a problem but he has driven three now and said it's not. Before we buy it on Wed. this week I would like to hear what issues you have had, thanks!

Old 04-18-2010, 12:10 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,072,505 times
The problem wasn't LA, it was the crap car I spent my time there with.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:05 PM

36 posts, read 126,712 times
Quote:

Well if your calling names, I would call the PT Cruiser a "Belly Button Car" cause everyone has one. As for an Imitation PT Cruiser, The only thing I see it has in common is it is a retro vehicle " something modeled after something in the past " and that something was a 49-50 Chevy 3100 suburban do a search for one..

Old 04-18-2010, 02:32 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The problem wasn't LA, it was the crap car I spent my time there with.
You fail to mention the problem? Considering you are only one of two bad reviews out of about forty we've read, I'll go with the majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive