Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:26 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,142,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
You fail to mention the problem? Considering you are only one of two bad reviews out of about forty we've read, I'll go with the majority.
Exterior looks are subjective, I'm not too fond but I'm sure it works for someone. The problems come in with the anemic weezy engine that struggles to maintain freeway speeds and offers absolutely no passing power. The cheap flimsy interior is also disgusting to be in. The only positive thing I can say about it is that it carried four people and their belongings with reasonable comfort in terms of space. For a small car we didn't feel overly cramped (although it wasn't exactly cavernous). Build and material quality is pretty awful. If I was looking for a vehicle in that segment I'd go with the Hyundai Elantra Touring any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 05:27 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,442,158 times
The PT Cruiser is easily one of the worst cars I've ever been in.

I'd rather drive a Hyundai than one of those.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:55 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,044,744 times
Quote:
I'm 5'7 and my DH is 6'2 and neither of us have a problem with it. He rented one once and we both test drove two.

Didn't get this comment but we don't live in LA so we dont sit in traffic anywhere close to what LA has.

The cargo space is more than I've ever had in a vehicle so I doubt that will be an issue anyway. I do have a question for you though...at 6'3 you say it was uncomfortable? May I ask what made it uncomfortable? I'm guessing because of the short windshield, which I was a little concerned for my DH but he says it's not an issue. He has plenty of head space, especially compared to what we drive now. I've asked him several times if he thinks the windshield will be a problem but he has driven three now and said it's not. Before we buy it on Wed. this week I would like to hear what issues you have had, thanks!
The visibility was the key issue, but getting a comfortable position was another. I did not drive it long, so maybe I could have figured it out in time.

I have had the same issue in several late model GMs that I have rented. I just can't find a good fit with my body and the car.

Not sure that helps, it could be just me, but the ergonomics suck IMO.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:14 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,790,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Exterior looks are subjective, I'm not too fond but I'm sure it works for someone. The problems come in with the anemic weezy engine that struggles to maintain freeway speeds and offers absolutely no passing power. The cheap flimsy interior is also disgusting to be in. The only positive thing I can say about it is that it carried four people and their belongings with reasonable comfort in terms of space. For a small car we didn't feel overly cramped (although it wasn't exactly cavernous). Build and material quality is pretty awful. If I was looking for a vehicle in that segment I'd go with the Hyundai Elantra Touring any day of the week.

Thank you for your honesty and opinion. We were trying to stay under $20,000 because I am sick and can't work. That being the case, we can't be too choosy. One thing I did not want was a car that looked anything like mine because I never liked it from the day I bought it but that's another story. What I like about the HHR (for the price) is how the exterior looks, it's much more roomy than what I have now and the extras, like an upgraded stereo, sunroof and a few others. I actually like the dash and most I see in cars I do not. The one thing I agree looks cheap are the door panels, window and lock controls but this is a cheap car so can't have everything. Is it the best car out there? No but I think for the price, which we are getting for the same as what I paid for my current car in 1999 it's not bad. We did ask a lot of people who know people that have one and everyone really raved about it. We went on several sites with car reviews and only read one bad so that's what we have to go on. We did look at Toyota and Dodge cars but not Hyundai. After reading your post I looked it up on the internet and look wise, it's ok. I kind of like it but it looks smaller, maybe? I like the HHR looks better because of the retro style and after being stuck all this time with a car I don't like, I have to go with something I do like. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
The visibility was the key issue, but getting a comfortable position was another. I did not drive it long, so maybe I could have figured it out in time.

I have had the same issue in several late model GMs that I have rented. I just can't find a good fit with my body and the car.

Not sure that helps, it could be just me, but the ergonomics suck IMO.
Thanks. For me at 5'7 no problem and I asked my SO over and over and he said no problem. He may change his mind after awhile but I hope not. He did rent one at one time and drove it quite far with no complaints but he is a very easy going guy and never complains about anything. I personally wnat to be comfortable so hopefully I won't be the one complaining after awhile.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:06 PM

968 posts, read 2,628,104 times
Quote:
Thank you for your honesty and opinion. We were trying to stay under $20,000 because I am sick and can't work. That being the case, we can't be too choosy. One thing I did not want was a car that looked anything like mine because I never liked it from the day I bought it but that's another story. What I like about the HHR (for the price) is how the exterior looks, it's much more roomy than what I have now and the extras, like an upgraded stereo, sunroof and a few others. I actually like the dash and most I see in cars I do not. The one thing I agree looks cheap are the door panels, window and lock controls but this is a cheap car so can't have everything. Is it the best car out there? No but I think for the price, which we are getting for the same as what I paid for my current car in 1999 it's not bad. We did ask a lot of people who know people that have one and everyone really raved about it. We went on several sites with car reviews and only read one bad so that's what we have to go on. We did look at Toyota and Dodge cars but not Hyundai. After reading your post I looked it up on the internet and look wise, it's ok. I kind of like it but it looks smaller, maybe? I like the HHR looks better because of the retro style and after being stuck all this time with a car I don't like, I have to go with something I do like. Thanks again.

Thanks. For me at 5'7 no problem and I asked my SO over and over and he said no problem. He may change his mind after awhile but I hope not. He did rent one at one time and drove it quite far with no complaints but he is a very easy going guy and never complains about anything. I personally wnat to be comfortable so hopefully I won't be the one complaining after awhile.
can i ask what car you're getting rid of?

Old 04-19-2010, 03:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,975,479 times
Personally the PT cruiser and the HHR are too different type vehciles i m,y mind. PT more a car type with looks. The HHR more fuantional but not ahvingthe looks.Something different for everyone really.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:24 PM

353 posts, read 553,018 times
I have never been a Chevy fan and when my work gave me a HHR to drive I was a little pissed off. I wanted the PT cruiser or Cobalt they gave to the others.

Almost 2 years later it's running strong and I have to admit I really like it now. It has it's quirks, the cup holders and window controls are in a lousy place and the visibility takes some getting used to but that said, 100,000 miles later, it's been a really good car.

The PT Cruiser, with half the miles, turned out to be nothing but a money pit and the Cobalt was only slightly better.

I drive all over the country and I've been really impressed with the HHR's performance.

I'd have to guess that most people that don't like HHR's have never driven a HHR. Most of the derogatory comments are nonsense. I'm 6'2'', head and legroom have never been an issue and I pass too many cars going uphill to believe it's gutless.

The biggest draw back at this point? Most people think it's a PT Cruiser.

So I have to say, still not a fan of Chevy but I love the HHR.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:50 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,790,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
can i ask what car you're getting rid of?
Dodge Stratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefence View Post
I have never been a Chevy fan and when my work gave me a HHR to drive I was a little pissed off. I wanted the PT cruiser or Cobalt they gave to the others.

Almost 2 years later it's running strong and I have to admit I really like it now. It has it's quirks, the cup holders and window controls are in a lousy place and the visibility takes some getting used to but that said, 100,000 miles later, it's been a really good car.

The PT Cruiser, with half the miles, turned out to be nothing but a money pit and the Cobalt was only slightly better.

I drive all over the country and I've been really impressed with the HHR's performance.

I'd have to guess that most people that don't like HHR's have never driven a HHR. Most of the derogatory comments are nonsense. I'm 6'2'', head and legroom have never been an issue and I pass too many cars going uphill to believe it's gutless.

The biggest draw back at this point? Most people think it's a PT Cruiser.

So I have to say, still not a fan of Chevy but I love the HHR.

Thank you for your opinion. We bought the HHR yesterday and it's fun to drive (so far), very peppy. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:18 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,442,158 times
Do they still come with remote start standard with the auto? I always thought that was so cool.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:20 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,142,424 times
Hopefully the car will treat you well, I'm glad you're happy with the purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive