Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 05:17 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,702,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Crumble zones...

For me,this current & near future gen of cars,with both driver's & front passenger's knee airbags ( Lexus,Porsche),is state of the art.

Such a car,really can last a decade,

By 2020,the electric cars will be mainstream & affordable...
They're actually called crumple zones not crumble zones.

And I have my doubts that electric cars will be mainstream by 2020, that is only 10 years away. We simply do not have the powering stations in place to make electric cars a mainstream option. The hybrid Prius came out in 1997 and it didn't become a true mainstream vehicle until arguably 2004-2005.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 07:44 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
On the contrary,I worship safety...

5 star cars deserve to be honoured & bought,
a 1995 clunker ( or well maintained ) is a death trap...

I am also negatively surprised..

If so many consumers buy used & keep their used cars for so long,how can the USA auto industry survive..?
If you "worship" safety, how many driving courses/classes have you attended?

How many books on driving have you read?

When was the last time you practiced braking at the limit?

The loose nut behind the wheel is more important than all the belts, airbags, etc. you can build in...

Old 04-21-2010, 07:51 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,041,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
On the contrary,I worship safety...
If you are such a safety worshipper then I think you should just stay home, and make sure there are no trees that might fall through your roof and kill you.

I will continue to lead my life, have fun and not make myself sick over perceived safety risks. The most un-safe thing about most vehicles is the driver, and I am convinced the ones that worry the most are some of the worst drivers.

Re: the child endangerment comment...

Give me an f'ing break!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:55 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Well, maybe we are being too harsh with him, after all he lives in Miami - you ever drive there?

I did, once, and that's enough for me...

Old 04-21-2010, 08:02 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,041,173 times
Yep, I've driven in Miami, Chicago, and LA (too often there), and I get your point. But, I refuse to let paranoia take away the lifestyle I choose. Heck, I couldn't have my career if I was like some of these 'Chicken Littles'.

I cannot fathom the idea of being afraid to drive my 2-seat ragtop because it is 'un-safe'.

But, to each his/her own, it leaves more of the fun cars available for folks like me.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:05 PM

153 posts, read 408,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
LT1 right? Any mods? T-top?
Yep, the ole' LT1...punched out to a 388, billet crank, forged rods and pistons inhaling 24psi of F1 Procharged intercooled, meth power. Only thing stock is the rear but everything else is built to the gills. When the rear dies I'll throw in a 12 bolt w/ 31 splines w/ 3.55's out back. And yes, she's a T-top.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:25 PM

791 posts, read 1,426,654 times
I buy my cars when they are 10 years old with 150,000 on them.....and sell them after I put another 100,000 miles on them...buy `em cheap, sell `em cheap

Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 PM

791 posts, read 1,426,654 times
This is especially true with BMW and Benz. I have seen 14k estimates from a minor parking lot accident. The vehicle backed up into the BMW driving by exactly on the wrong side on the quarter panel. I have also seen 7k estimate from a minor tap from behind a drive thru line on a Lexus. Crazy amounts of expensive for such minor body damage.[/quote] insurance companies determine the repair costs....every body shop already knows what the insurance companies will pay for certain cars .....they also know what will be totaled out....they jack their rates up and do insurance work only....because insurance work pays top dollar.....

Old 04-21-2010, 08:45 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Yep, I've driven in Miami, Chicago, and LA (too often there), and I get your point. But, I refuse to let paranoia take away the lifestyle I choose. Heck, I couldn't have my career if I was like some of these 'Chicken Littles'.

I cannot fathom the idea of being afraid to drive my 2-seat ragtop because it is 'un-safe'.

But, to each his/her own, it leaves more of the fun cars available for folks like me.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:48 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well you do sell cars for a living.

Some of us with actual wrench-turning skills, as opposed to BS skills, can make an older rig work just fine.

Can you put in modern safety equipment? No.

It's not about whether it works or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive