Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
You have to be approved to buy the high-end Ferrari's.

Hypocritical much?
I'm not talking about being financially "approved" for financing (most of these cars are cash purchases anyway), but going through the in-depth interview process like the LF-A.

You can walk into a Ferrari dealership and buy any new Ferrari you like as long as you have the cash, which isn't true for the Lexus on steroids.

If you have any evidence to the contrary, post it and I will stand corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 10:04 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
I'm not talking about being financially "approved" for financing (most of these cars are cash purchases anyway), but going through the in-depth interview process like the LF-A.

You can walk into a Ferrari dealership and buy any new Ferrari you like as long as you have the cash, which isn't true for the Lexus on steroids.

If you have any evidence to the contrary, post it and I will stand corrected.

No, you can't. Any special edition Ferrari requires approval from Ferrari, plus past ownership of a Ferrari.

It was that way to buy an F40, an F50, an Enzo, plus any other limited-edition Ferrari, including the 599 GTO. You have to be approved by Ferrari, send in a bio, be granted an allocation.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:55 PM
NSX

Quote:
No, you can't. Any special edition Ferrari requires approval from Ferrari, plus past ownership of a Ferrari.

It was that way to buy an F40, an F50, Enzo, plus any other limited-edition Ferrari, including the 599 GTO. You have to be approved by Ferrari, send in a bio, be granted an allocation.
I heard anecdotally that this had been done with the F40, F50 (Lease to own programs), but never heard of this being done with the 599.

I'm not saying it's not, just haven't heard about it. Again, If you post a source I'll definitely believe you. Also, I think we both realize that an LF-A is not an Enzo.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:09 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
I heard anecdotally that this had been done with the F40, F50 (Lease to own programs), but never heard of this being done with the 599.

I'm not saying it's not, just haven't heard about it. Again, If you post a source I'll definitely believe you. Also, I think we both realize that an LF-A is not an Enzo.

HowStuffWorks "How the Enzo Ferrari Works"

"A stack of cash alone will not get you an Enzo -- Ferrari has traditionally made potential buyers apply to buy one of their limited-edition cars, placing various restrictions on what may and may not be done with the car. They enforce these restrictions by threatening to withdraw perks like factory tours and the chance to buy future Ferraris -- a serious threat to the exotic car collectors of the world.

Previous Ferraris were even harder to get than the Enzo. For example, the Ferrari F50 wasn't sold, it was only leased. Ferrari could yank the lease at any time, and one of the stranger restrictions was that journalists were not allowed to use the car for performance testing (Car and Driver, Aug. 2003). The Enzo is far easier to get into by comparison. All approved Enzo buyers had the option of traveling to Italy to have the seat and pedals custom fitted."

Go to Ferrarichat.com. Lot's of topics about it, here's one -

Who has ordered a GTO? - Page 3 - FerrariChat.com

GTO ALLOCATION
hello, i was told by my ferrari dealer in dec 2009 that i would have one of his allocation for certain. two weeks ago my dealer sent my bio/history to FNA. i have yet to hear anything-confirmation of my allocation for the GTO? does anyone know when all the US allocations will be decided? does each dealer get 3?

would really like to know if all the US dealers now know who gets a car?\

You have to provide your car history, etc. It's pretty standard for Ferrari, especially on the limited-edition stuff.

I could provide more, but I'm not joining forums just to search them. Also, searching for it is a pain in the butt. If you do, be prepared for lots of links to credit applications.

And I'm not comparing the LFA to an Enzo, but the basic product is the same - a super-limited car that is the absolute top end of the manufacturer's line.

Edit - actually, an LFA does compare to an Enzo. It beat (or would, on a dry track) an Enzo around the Top Gear test track. Only by .2 seconds, though.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:14 PM
NSX

Interesting reading on F-chat. Looks like you're right about the 599, Besides the F40,F50,Enzo...I didn't know of any cars that required an approval process.

I guess I learn something new every day. Great post and I stand corrected.

Quote:
HowStuffWorks "How the Enzo Ferrari Works"

"A stack of cash alone will not get you an Enzo -- Ferrari has traditionally made potential buyers apply to buy one of their limited-edition cars, placing various restrictions on what may and may not be done with the car. They enforce these restrictions by threatening to withdraw perks like factory tours and the chance to buy future Ferraris -- a serious threat to the exotic car collectors of the world.

Previous Ferraris were even harder to get than the Enzo. For example, the Ferrari F50 wasn't sold, it was only leased. Ferrari could yank the lease at any time, and one of the stranger restrictions was that journalists were not allowed to use the car for performance testing (Car and Driver, Aug. 2003). The Enzo is far easier to get into by comparison. All approved Enzo buyers had the option of traveling to Italy to have the seat and pedals custom fitted."

Go to Ferrarichat.com. Lot's of topics about it, here's one -

Who has ordered a GTO? - Page 3 - FerrariChat.com

GTO ALLOCATION
hello, i was told by my ferrari dealer in dec 2009 that i would have one of his allocation for certain. two weeks ago my dealer sent my bio/history to FNA. i have yet to hear anything-confirmation of my allocation for the GTO? does anyone know when all the US allocations will be decided? does each dealer get 3?

would really like to know if all the US dealers now know who gets a car?\

You have to provide your car history, etc. It's pretty standard for Ferrari, especially on the limited-edition stuff.

I could provide more, but I'm not joining forums just to search them. Also, searching for it is a pain in the butt. If you do, be prepared for lots of links to credit applications.

And I'm not comparing the LFA to an Enzo, but the basic product is the same - a super-limited car that is the absolute top end of the manufacturer's line.

Edit - actually, an LFA does compare to an Enzo. It beat (or would, on a dry track) an Enzo around the Top Gear test track. Only by .2 seconds, though.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:32 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,348,064 times
There's a story in the current Car Magazine (UK magazine, available at Barns and Noble I believe) where they compare the 599GTO and the LF-A, it's not as easy of a slam dunk for the GTO as you might think.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:38 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
There's a story in the current Car Magazine (UK magazine, available at Barns and Noble I believe) where they compare the 599GTO and the LF-A, it's not as easy of a slam dunk for the GTO as you might think.
Understandalbe. But Ferrari didnt pour in a decade of engineering to the 599 that Lexus did to the LF-A, either. I think the whole point here is how desireable a Ferrari is, whereas the LF-A is questionable. Ferrari's stir the soul, make beautiful sounds, have legendary racing heritage, while the Lexus is, well, a Lexus with a nice engine, questionable styling, and built by the most boring car company on earth.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:44 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,348,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Understandalbe. But Ferrari didnt pour in a decade of engineering to the 599 that Lexus did to the LF-A, either. I think the whole point here is how desireable a Ferrari is, whereas the LF-A is questionable. Ferrari's stir the soul, make beautiful sounds, have legendary racing heritage, while the Lexus is, well, a Lexus with a nice engine, questionable styling, and built by the most boring car company on earth.
Yet they have no problem selling it at a high price, the LF-A has changed so many times over that decade, it's not the same car they started with. At one point they actually scrapped everything and began all over again.

This is a research car, only made into a production vehicle due to popular demand, some of the things you see on this vehicle are completely unique and is actually things that'll make an appearance on production cars once they've cheapened up the production process enough.

I agree that this car isn't desirable to the common Ferrari buyer, for several reasons, one being that it's a few steps above his pay grade. This isn't a car for posers and flashers, this is a car Race car drivers buy, people who seriously know engineering, race tech etc, and then of course the Saudi oil sheiks.

But saying that a car with a sold out (or close to it) production run, even at $375.000 is undesirable is like saying Coca Cola is an unpopular drink. It simply doesn't add up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive