Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:18 AM

129 posts, read 359,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm guessing the people who are being qualified to buy an LF-A could probably afford to buy 5 Hemi 'Cudas without putting a dent in their bank account. If your aim is to turn heads or draw a crowd then you're probably not who Lexus is looking for anyway.
i disagree. Most exotic cars are bought simply just a show piece. Buyers of these cars are def more worried about looking like a baller than how it'll perform on the track, other than talking about said numbers as if he/she knows what he/she is talking about.

Most people that are actually into motorsports know its much more practical to own an E36 M3, Evo, or STi with safety and performance bolt ons that keep up with just about anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:21 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
....Cars like the upcoming 599 GTO are just soooooo much more attractive than the LF-A, and should easily outperform it, too. Im just thoroughly convinced that Toyota's designers are off their rockers. I seriously think the word "sexy" is foreign to them, at least since the 2000GT was last built.....

You hit the nail on the head Steve. With 99% of luxury/exotic car buyers, looks is a huge factor in their purchase. If all people cared about was pure speed, every rich guy would buy a Twin-Turbo Viper or a blown Ford GT.

So maybe I can help the Toyota designers out a bit and give them an idea as to what nice styling is...

Sexy:

Sexy:

Sexy:

NOT Sexy:

Old 06-07-2010, 04:42 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,338,870 times
Quote:
I understand completely. But I look at the price, performance, and the face that Toyota took a decade to deliver an uninspirational, overpriced "exotic". The only things that stir the blood on the LF-A are the engine note and unique gauges, which I actually like, oddly enough. Im sure each line on the LF-A serves a purpose, most cars in that realm can claim the same. Cars like the upcoming 599 GTO are just soooooo much more attractive than the LF-A, and should easily outperform it, too. Im just thoroughly convinced that Toyota's designers are off their rockers. I seriously think the word "sexy" is foreign to them, at least since the 2000GT was last built.

I agree the LF-A has integrity. But like the XJ220, I think the final product, although competent, is not what people wanted nor expected and is somewhat of a letdown. 5 years from now I think the LF-A will be completely forgettable.
There's plenty more to the LF-A than engine and gauges. For one, it's the first, and only production car with carbon fiber a-pillars, which is much of the reason it was so time consuming and costly, actually figuring out ways to produce the parts needed.

If you bother to dig deeper than "oh that looks weird, and it has an outlandish pricetag", you'll see that there's far more unique and special features on the LF-A than there is on for example the 599 GTO.

You're simply not right when you say that most cars in the segment is as purposefully built as the LF-A, the lines and design of the aforementioned 599 GTO cannot claim that level of engineering, not to say it's a much prettier car, at first glance, and I'm sure, very exhilarating, but it's just not the same. It does however, balance well on it's own merits.

Interestingly enough I believe there's a comparison between the 599GTO and the Lexus in the current issue of Car Magazine, you might be interested in it.

For what it is, what it does, and those who can afford it, it makes sense, sales figures does indicate the same.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:21 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
the lines and design of the aforementioned 599 GTO cannot claim that level of engineering, not to say it's a much prettier car, at first glance, and I'm sure, very exhilarating, but it's just not the same. It does however, balance well on it's own merits.

While the 599 GTO cant claim the decade of design and engineering that Toyota spent on the LF-A, it will most likely perform better and actually look good while doing it.

As I stated above, the LF-A is unique, and engineered wonderfully, Im sure, but not desireable to me. It looks like a Supra with a body kit. And a bad one at that! Couldnt Toyota's designers simply use some conventional design rather than borrow Ocean Spray's logo for the engine's air ducts?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,507 times
Quote:
While the 599 GTO cant claim the decade of design and engineering that Toyota spent on the LF-A, it will most likely perform better and actually look good while doing it.

As I stated above, the LF-A is unique, and engineered wonderfully, Im sure, but not desireable to me. It looks like a Supra with a body kit. And a bad one at that! Couldnt Toyota's designers simply use some conventional design rather than borrow Ocean Spray's logo for the engine's air ducts?
Couldn't agree more!

Let's think about it guys: If we were wealthy enough to buy a $400,000 car (I'm sure a few on this forum are), which would you rather be rolling in?

or

Old 06-08-2010, 09:25 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,418,009 times
I would easily choose the LFA.

I bet it will spank the Ferrari around the track, and the other numbers are so close as to be almost irrelevant.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:29 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Couldn't agree more!

Let's think about it guys: If we were wealthy enough to buy a $400,000 car (I'm sure a few on this forum are), which would you rather be rolling in?

or
if I had the money the lambo LP-670 would be my super car of choice
http://weblogsurf.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/lamborghini-murcielago-lp-670-4-super-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-08-2010, 09:35 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,418,009 times
Well, as long we are opening the coffers up, why not one for each day of the week?

Monday -

Tuesday -

Wednesday -

Thursday -

http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2006/lamborghini.gallardo.spyder/06.lamborgini.gallardo.spyder.f34.500.jpg (broken link)

Friday -

http://demo.midamericaweb.com/car/img/PhotoGallery/BugattiVeyron.jpg (broken link)

Saturday -

Sunday -

Old 06-08-2010, 09:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
sunday should be a viper ACR for track day
and a land rover defender or a Hummer H1 alpha for winter duty

Old 06-08-2010, 10:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Well, as long we are opening the coffers up, why not one for each day of the week?
What in God's name is that thing festooned with half a dozen RPG launch tubes??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive