Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:13 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,097,411 times

Advertisements

The LF-A crowd is the one that cant be seen in a Corvette. If one of their friends had a ZR-1 sitting in their driveway, they would ask them if they are having money troubles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 08:49 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,836 times
What a joke. You have to be approved to buy one of these things....Toyota has taken their arrogance to new levels. To make things even sadder, the car doesn't even look that nice.

Soon I'll be happy to be "slumming it" in a car less than 1/3 it's price, Lamborghini Diablo 6.0. I'm going to love wiping the floor with any LF-A on the track, but somehow I doubt many owners will actually track these....

Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,348,064 times
Dude, that thing is made specifically with the 24 hour race at Nürnbergring in mind, it's already shown itself to be a very capable track car.

And it's normal to have ot be approved to buy cars in this price range.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:18 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
What a joke. You have to be approved to buy one of these things....Toyota has taken their arrogance to new levels.

That's pure brilliance, actually. Telling the kind of people who are the target market for this that no, you can't have one unless we say so...genius.

Makes it more desirable.

99% of the people in this thread miss the point, but then again, aren't the target market either.

And a Diablo is a piece of crap. If you're going to dream of a Lamborghini, get a decent one at least.

Edit - and, more on point, the LFA was dead on the Lamborghini LP670 SV on the Top Gear power lap times. It actually beat it.

LP670 SV - 1:19:00 in the dry.
LFA - 1:22:08 in the wet.

According to them, a wet lap is about 4 seconds slower.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:30 AM

I'd take an LFA over a Diablo any day of the week. The Diablo is a pretty poor Lamborghini.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:47 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
For now I'd just take my Camry.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:01 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,836 times
I guess time will tell how well this marketing strategy works. I can already see it being a financial flop. At $400K, they are trying to steal buyers away from new, high-end, Ferrari/Lamborghini market and are already into the hyper-exotic used market (Think F40,F50,Porsche CGT,McLaren SLR etc.)

Honda tried to do the same basic thing with the NSX as Toyota is with the LFA, but to a much lesser extent. I've owned an NSX for years and love it (Hence the screen name) but financially it was a huge failure. Originally Honda planned to sell around 3000 to the US, but had to cut that number down to around 300-400. There just wasn't a market for that kind of car and it couldn't compete with an Italian and German rivals. However, at least the NSX "looked the part" and was reasonably priced compared to this thing.

Saying that a "Diablo is a piece of crap" is ignorant on many levels. The 5.7L Variable-Valve Engines installed on 98+ SV/VT models have shown to be pretty bullet proof. Audi further refined the '01 6.0, and many owners can vouch to basically trouble free ownership. In short-term acceleration the 6.0 is faster than the LF-A 3.3 vs. 3.4. At higher speeds it will get even uglier for the LFA, with a number of owners of '01s have been radar-clocked on runway-events at speeds well over 210mph.

The biggest advantage, well just look at the car. The Diablo 6.0 is considered by many in the exotic community to have the most outrageous and beautiful look over any car on the road. Period. While most exotic car owners would consider the Lexus LF-A's styling to look nothing more like a Supra or IS-F with a bodykit. I don't know what the word to describe the styling as, but I think everyone here knows that the word is not going to be "beautiful".

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
That's pure brilliance, actually. Telling the kind of people who are the target market for this that no, you can't have one unless we say so...genius.

Makes it more desirable.

99% of the people in this thread miss the point, but then again, aren't the target market either.

And a Diablo is a piece of crap. If you're going to dream of a Lamborghini, get a decent one at least.

Edit - and, more on point, the LFA was dead on the Lamborghini LP670 SV on the Top Gear power lap times. It actually beat it.

LP670 SV - 1:19:00 in the dry.
LFA - 1:22:08 in the wet.

According to them, a wet lap is about 4 seconds slower.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:12 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
Quote:
I guess time will tell how well this marketing strategy works. I can already see it being a financial flop. At $400K, they are trying to steal buyers away from new, high-end, Ferrari/Lamborghini market and are already into the hyper-exotic used market (Think F40,F50,Porsche CGT,McLaren SLR etc.)

Honda tried to do the same basic thing with the NSX as Toyota is with the LFA, but to a much lesser extent. I've owned an NSX for years and love it (Hence the screen name) but financially it was a huge failure. Originally Honda planned to sell around 3000 to the US, but had to cut that number down to around 300-400. There just wasn't a market for that kind of car and it couldn't compete with an Italian and German rivals. However, at least the NSX "looked the part" and was reasonably priced compared to this thing.

Saying that a "Diablo is a piece of crap" is ignorant on many levels. The 5.7L Variable-Valve Engines installed on 98+ SV/VT models have shown to be pretty bullet proof. Audi further refined the '01 6.0, and many owners can vouch to basically trouble free ownership. In short-term acceleration the 6.0 is faster than the LF-A 3.3 vs. 3.4. At higher speeds it will get even uglier for the LFA, with a number of owners of '01s have been radar-clocked on runway-events at speeds well over 210mph.

The biggest advantage, well just look at the car. The Diablo 6.0 is considered by many in the exotic community to have the most outrageous and beautiful look over any car on the road. Period. While most exotic car owners would consider the Lexus LF-A's styling to look nothing more like a Supra or IS-F with a bodykit. I don't know what the word to describe the styling as, but I think everyone here knows that the word is not going to be "beautiful".
sweet the diablo's are gorgous cars and the noise that V-12 makes is sweet just amazing cars. I grew up with a coutach poster hanging on my wall as a kid now that car brings back memories. anyways I would take a older diablo anyday over a the lexus LF-A

Old 05-17-2010, 07:16 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times
Quote:

Again, you miss the point. You're comparing an NSX with an LFA. Only 500 total are going to be made. It's not a production car. It's one and done. They will sell every single one they offer.

Quote:

Anyone claiming trouble-free ownership is using past Lamborghini's as a reference point. The things were a giant piece of crap. Great when they worked, but that was a rare occasion.

And my point still stands. The LFA would have spanked the Diablo around a track. The LP670 SV is superior in every way to the Diablo, yet the LFA beats it around a track.

Quote:

I have looked at it. The LFA makes the Diablo look like a Pinto.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:22 PM

On a performance front the LF-A will destroy the Diablo. Looks are subjective, but the LF-A just looks more modern and attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive