Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 02:49 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,999,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It has been said that this is a common way for illegals to get to the country of their choice. At first I thought of terrorism but apparently the forging of passports happens all the time there. They would not be as strong on security as we are since we had 911.

My husband thinks something went wrong with the plane. That still doesn't explain where it is! Why would it have been lost on radar? An explosion in air?
Market for forged travel documents has not declined since 9/11/01 and is used by all and sundry for various reasons. There was a rather good documentary on PBS a few years ago showing how persons go about obtaining false papers. Persons arrive in Europe, the USA and other popular destinations with stolen or fake documents. Sometimes they are caught, but not always.

Problems come from certain more liberal sectors that warn against making the possession of stolen/forged travel documents a very serious crime. Their rationale is that those seeking asylum with valid reasons for doing so often use such papers to travel/enter a country. If they are arrested, charged and convicted of a felony (if that is what the thing is risen to), then their lives in USA, Europe, or Canada are effectively over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 03:03 PM

786 posts, read 811,785 times
In 1982 I met a sort of poor-man's `young executive´ in the City of London who appeared to be spending more than he was paid. For example, he told me that he was planning to take his girl friend on a magnificent holiday to India. And when I asked if that would be affordable, he told me that he intended to fund it party be selling their UK passports when there. On his return, he told me that by joining the British Embassy queue for those who had `lost´ their passport, they had obtained new ones. And he seemed well pleased with himself

Old 03-10-2014, 03:41 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
My view is the polar opposite. I think the media has to say something, so they make stuff up. I've seen it happen.
I agree, if one has been on the inside of an event covered by the news media, you would be clear how wild their rumors can be and totally unrelated to the facts. Most of the media are journalism majors not science majors or logic majors and the pressure to talk and be first makes things worse

Old 03-10-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
In 1982 I met a sort of poor-man's `young executive´ in the City of London who appeared to be spending more than he was paid. For example, he told me that he was planning to take his girl friend on a magnificent holiday to India. And when I asked if that would be affordable, he told me that he intended to fund it party be selling their UK passports when there. On his return, he told me that by joining the British Embassy queue for those who had `lost´ their passport, they had obtained new ones. And he seemed well pleased with himself
Disgusting isn't it? What some persons will do, they're no better than they should be.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:00 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
It may have been talk about already in this thread but why do black boxes not transmit instantly to a harddrive somewhere on solid land or the cloud? It seems archaic that we have to find a physical black box to get the data on it. Is it for security reasons? If so, can it not be encrypted?

Old 03-10-2014, 04:57 PM

786 posts, read 811,785 times
If the persons who say that their passport was stolen in Thailand or wherever were to be robustly-interrogated, would it emerge how they might really have parted with them, and for what consideration, etc? And would a detailed and true response provide the investigators with what may point them toward what happened to the missing plane?

Old 03-10-2014, 05:10 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,536,965 times
I read that the individual who purchased the tickets asked for the cheapest flight available. That doesn't seem like the actions of someone planning a terrorist act.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:20 PM

What kills me is every national and local news has their "expert" consultants being dogged to ask speculative questions by clueless reporters. The experts keep saying "now I don't want to speculate .... I was not in the cockpit ..... I don't want to suggest...." . To which the reporter will counter "... but we *all* are speculating at this point...", and "we are asking you to speculate.....".

This nonsense will go on until something else big knocks this story off the news like another gay marriage ruling, Russia and the Ukraine or whatever.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:33 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,191,375 times

Old 03-10-2014, 05:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
I read that the individual who purchased the tickets asked for the cheapest flight available. That doesn't seem like the actions of someone planning a terrorist act.
Why is that? Whoever is going down with the plane probably isn't financing the venture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation