Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 11:30 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,020,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I don't have your knowledge, but this is somewhat similar to my fear. There are a few types of planes that worry me, but for the most part I'm very confident in the plane. Even if something is wrong with it, I'm confident that it can land safely. Extended overwater flights scare me since there's nowhere to land.

Flights in bad weather do as well but this has more to do with the pilots. To me, it's not so much a fear that the pilots are suicidal but more a fear that they just don't care or are incompetent (I know this makes no sense). On a recent flight, for example, I was concerned the anti-icing system would not be on (we were flying through ice). I've also been concerned that the pilots would fly right in the middle of thunderstorms, etc.

On a modern plane, non-overwater flights, and in good weather I'm very calm. Irrational that I'm not otherwise I know...

Even when I'm nervous, though, I still can get on the plane and I'm not so nervous that others can tell.
"Pilot suicide" is possible, but highly unlikely...no need to take two hundred screaming people with you on your way out, pilots typically have an Alpha personality...my problem, i take care of it.

And to the "they don't care" aspect, I'd dismiss that too...remember, they're in the pointy end of the machine. If the plane goes through trees, dirt, or anything else hard, they'll be the first to arrive. It's part of the reason a pilot won't be compensated like a doctor...the doctor has to have your best interest in mind when he's performing surgery...the pilot could hate you, and hope you cease to exist...but only after they get you to your destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 11:37 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,670 times
Anyone know if rescuers are conducting searches over land or is the search only being conducted over water? I understand the search teams have now expanded the search to the other side of Malaysia.

-Cheers.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:37 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,896,205 times
Latest CNN Breaking news (2 mins ago)

Malaysian Flight 370 was last detected flying over a small island hundreds of miles from the flight's usual route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, according to a senior Malaysian Air Force official. The official declined to be named because he is not authorized to speak to the media.

If the new data is correct, the aircraft was flying in the opposite direction from its scheduled destination and was on the opposite side of the Malay Peninsula from its scheduled route. Previous accounts had the aircraft losing touch with air traffic control near the coast of Vietnam.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:40 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
"Pilot suicide" is possible, but highly unlikely...no need to take two hundred screaming people with you on your way out, pilots typically have an Alpha personality...my problem, i take care of it.

And to the "they don't care" aspect, I'd dismiss that too...remember, they're in the pointy end of the machine. If the plane goes through trees, dirt, or anything else hard, they'll be the first to arrive. It's part of the reason a pilot won't be compensated like a doctor...the doctor has to have your best interest in mind when he's performing surgery...the pilot could hate you, and hope you cease to exist...but only after they get you to your destination.
I know it's irrational. And I fly despite these fears. Last year, for example, I flew on 34 flights. I've flown on six and about 11,000 miles so far this year. This all still makes me nervous.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:48 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
From what I have heard the pilot was very experienced with this aircraft so unless there was a catasrophic failure he should have had enough time to notify the ground.
I doubt that the plane blew up at altitude, there would have to be some floating wreckage found.
There are so many questions in this incident and more questions than answers seem to be coming forward at this time. I heard this morning on the news that people have been calling cell phones of passengers and they are ringing? I also heard that the plane was being tracked at a very low altitude and thousands of miles off course?
Has anyone thought of terrorism? One would think that some group would have come forward to brag about destroying hte plane but I think that they have other plans. Would it be possible that terrorists took over the plane and flew it to a undisclosed airstrip and are busy packing it with explosives or a dirty bomb to fly it into a city? The reason why the cell phones are ringing is because when the passengers debarked they were told to empty their pockets and line up to be shot.
I sure hope I'm wrong and the poor passengers and crew will be the only ones to mourn.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:56 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I also heard that the plane was being tracked at a very low altitude and thousands of miles off course?
Tracked by whom? If it were flying at low altitude over land or within sight of land, people would have spotted it. Someone would have reported it to authorities or to a radio station, or put up a notice on the internet. If it were flying over water, some freighter, navy captain or other miscellaneous craft would have seen it. If it had been diverted to N. Korea, S. Korea and Japan would have seen it.

Also, hasn't there been a problem with those new Boeign 777's catching fire, due to faulty electrical wiring? Was that issue ever addressed in the new batch of planes?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-11-2014 at 12:08 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 11:59 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Also, hasn't there been a problem with those new Boeign 777's catching fire, due to faulty electrical wiring? Was that issue ever addressed in the new batch of planes?
That was the 787.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:59 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,536,965 times
Are cell phones still ringing through? Is it possible for there to be life in the batteries still? If there are calls going through to several phones, can these be tracked to try to find a location? I guess some of the family members who were calling the phones asked authorities about doing that, but they were kind of given the brush-off (that's my interpretation of what I read). But at this point, since there is no crash evidence, no evidence of terrorism or malfunction, nothing, why not try looking into that, if it can be done.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:01 PM

8,563 posts, read 10,984,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Frankly, while a terrorist attack would certainly be horrible, I'd find another explanation even more terrifying. A Boeing 777 having some kind of complete catastrophic failure at cruising altitude with no apparent warning?

There's always the possibility that one of the pilots decided to commit suicide or that terrorists might have taken control of the plane and, in either case, the plane was simply flown into the ocean in more or less one piece. That would explain the lack of debris.
The problem with your "into the sea in one piece" theory is the sea itself.
Even when close to the water (as when one water skies), if you become airborne, then hit the water, it is like hitting a cement wall.
Now, imagine a large aircraft falling from 35000 feet hitting the water.
You still think if that is what happened, the plane would be in "one piece"?
That is highly unlikely.
Bob.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:08 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,736,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Latest CNN Breaking news (2 mins ago)

Malaysian Flight 370 was last detected flying over a small island hundreds of miles from the flight's usual route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, according to a senior Malaysian Air Force official. The official declined to be named because he is not authorized to speak to the media.

If the new data is correct, the aircraft was flying in the opposite direction from its scheduled destination and was on the opposite side of the Malay Peninsula from its scheduled route. Previous accounts had the aircraft losing touch with air traffic control near the coast of Vietnam.
This sounds more and more like a loss of cabin pressure situation (what's the correct term again? depressurization?). The plane might have been flying on autopilot before it went down and the entire crew and passengers died from lack of oxygen. It probably went down on land, in a jungle somewhere. This would explain the cell phone ringing theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation