Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 03:43 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,523 times

Advertisements

In that part of the world, sure fire food sickness, and has a added bouns, you might get lucky and see (a lovely site) of pilots chain smoking and asking girls into the cockpit. This plane just might be safely on the ground (somewhere). Just a crazy story getting crazier by the moment.

I hope they are safely on the ground, one could only hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 03:49 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,538,098 times
Women get asked into the cockpit here, too. Probably not on planes that size, though. I think that's irrelevant to this situation.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:58 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
On another thread about this, a poster put this up:

Malaysia Airlines lost contact with flight with 227 passengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post

From USA Today--

(Quote)KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — Malaysia's military said Tuesday that a missing jet was hundreds of miles off course an hour after it vanished from civilian radar, deepening the mystery of what happened to the flight with 239 people aboard.

Gen. Rodzali Daud told Malaysia's Berita Harian newspaper that military radar picked up the location of the Boeing 777 several hundred miles to the west of its intended flight path to Beijing.

If accurate, that would mean the plane flew for about an hour away in the opposite direction of its flight path without communicating to civilian radar or radio communications.

The airliner last transmitted a signal to civilian aviation authorities over the Gulf of Thailand, east of Malaysia and south of Vietnam, about 1:30 a.m., or roughly an hour after it took off from Kuala Lumpur.

But the Malaysian military said that at 2:40 a.m. the jet was far to the west over the Malacca Strait. Daud said the aircraft was near Pulau Perak, an island more than 100 miles off the western shore of Malaysia.

"After that, the signal from the plane was lost," Daud told the newspaper. (End Quote)

If this is true, then they should be looking on the WEST coast of Malaysia, not the east coast.

From the U.K. Telegraph:

"Our US correspondent David Millward has reported that American transport officials warned of a potential weak spot in Boeing 777s which could lead to the "loss of structural integrity of the aircraft" four months before the disappearance of Malaysiaairlines Flight MH370.

The Federal Aviation Administration in Washington drew up an Airworthiness Directive in November. It was triggered by reports of cracking in the fuselage skin underneath a Boeing aircraft's satellite antennae.

In its directive the FAA, which is responsible for supervising the safety of American-made aircraft such as Boeing, told airlines to look out for corrosion under the fuselage skin.

This, the FAA said, could lead to a situation where the fuselage was compromised leading to possible rapid decompression as well as the plane breaking up.

With terrorism now appearing less likely as a cause of the Malaysian airlines disaster, which claimed 239 lives, focus has switched to problems with the aircraft or pilot error.

If this is true, the "rapid decompression"--could that lead to those aboard passing out and the plane flying until it hit ground or water?
(Please note, emphasis mine, and I did clean up some of the tags so as not to have the articles show up all jacked up in this post.)

That matches with this that was linked earlier in the week: (Link now gives a 404 error)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61
More debris has been found according to this report:
Google Ãœbersetzer

What I wrote in reply...

Quote:
From your link:

Quote:
"The U.S. military said the debris found more oil received SOS signals

In addition, the U.S. Embassy said the 2:43 U.S. military bases stationed in Thailand U-Tapao SOS signal was listening to some of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 emergency call, said the aircraft cabin facing disintegration driver call, they want a forced landing . U.S. troops are currently stationed in Thailand, Malaysia has been providing this signal."

So there was an emergency call? Is that what I'm reading? I understand that the page was translated, hence why I'm asking.
I'm telling you, I don't think that was a misprint, or error. Of course, it's opinion, of course I could be wrong, of course, it's simply a theory, but more is coming out, this article was pulled, but it's matching what is being said. Which also illustrates that they DID know the plane was not in the area that they sent all the search crews to.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:23 PM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Well now they are definitely saying the plane veered west to the Strait of Malacca, one of the world's busiest shipping channels which runs along Malaysia's west coast. If this is such a busy shipping area, how come nothing has been spotted in that area?

Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west | Reuters

Old 03-11-2014, 05:46 PM

542 posts, read 692,397 times
So was there an emergency call or not? I haven't heard that in any of the major news articles.

If it had lost air and the pilots passed out, too, like the Payne Stewart plane, then wouldn't it have landed somewhere in China? Or continued beyond the strait of Malacca or wherever they think they plane had been heading toward? It had only been flying for a few hours and had something like eight hours of fuel, right? Is there radar for east of Malaysia?

If it crashed anywhere on land I'd imagine there'd would have been a fire that would have alerted people because of the smoke. (Depending on how much fuel it had, but if it wasn't on radar then it couldn't have gotten too far, and thus probably would have had a lot of fuel still).

ETA: If it had been stolen by terrorists for a further nefarious plot, then how big of a runway would it need to land? And then to take off again, if they'd emptied it except for fuel and explosives? And if it was a hidden runway on an island somewhere, could the pilots have found it in the dark?

Last edited by Tatooine; 03-11-2014 at 05:59 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 06:05 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,538,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
And if it was a hidden runway on an island somewhere, could the pilots have found it in the dark?
Maybe? I think when Bush flew into Iraq on Thanksgiving one year, they turned the lights off at the airport when Air Force One landed there. Or, maybe there's a hidden runway in that it's camouflaged but would still have lights at night.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:32 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,462,073 times
Don't know if anyone else posted this link:
Malaysia jet hidden by Electronic Weaponry? 20 EW defense-linked passengers - National Human Rights | Examiner.com

Speculative back story: the 20 Freescale Semiconductor employees on the plane (12 Malaysian 8 Chinese) were upset at their Austin, TX based employer and its US Defense Industry contractor work and decided to apply one of their latest innovations in Electronic Counter Measure systems on a civilian plane, to prove they could make a plane 'disappear' for significant amount of time and then selling it to highest bidder.

Depending on who offered to pay more, they would land at US Military Base or at one of China's airbases.

Where's the easiest place to hide a plane? (Hangar)

The 20 employees are in Macau gambling their proceeds for a short time before they are eliminated by those who paid them, meanwhile the passengers and crew are goners, and the plane, after being destroyed in simulated explosion in a closed environment, will then have a shipping trawler deposit the wreckage strewn about wherever the winning bidder finds most fortuitous for political reasons. With a couple 'passports' conveniently floating around in middle of the sea

Perhaps the whole experience is to distract people from something else going on throughout the world.

I might as well compile an interesting narrative, as I get the feeling that if they can't find this plane after this much time, someone is already working on the official released narrative for this incident.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:39 PM

65 posts, read 121,585 times
I have a question. If the plane changed course and flew westward for at least an hour, as the following image shows, then why did the authorities begin their search in the South China Sea (east of the Malay peninsula) instead of the Straight of Malaca?

Old 03-11-2014, 06:40 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,681,680 times
Excuse my ignorance, but why was the young Iranian man on a plane flight from Malaysia airlines, when he wanted to visit his mother in Germany? Totally different route?! My guess if he went into South East Asia to buy the passport, and the return home to Iran, from where he would continue to Germany.

Thanks in advance, but I see it as odd and that is the only explanation I could gather.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:43 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Here's some updated info from the London Telegraph. It sounds like the plane flew over Silver Island (Pulau Perak), belonging to Malaysia, but that island is too small to have anything on it. No one in the region so far has reported seeing smoke or hearing an explosion or impact with land or sea. The search effort has been shifted to the sea on the west side of Malaysia. Interpol has said the likelihood this was a hijacking or act of terrorism is small.

Now the focus of the search has switched the other side of the country, after the Malaysian military said its radars had detected the plane changing course, crossing over Malaysia and heading west above the Malacca Strait, one of the world’s busiest shipping channels.
“The last time the flight was detected close to Pulau Perak, in the Melaka Straits, at 2.40am by the control tower before the signal was lost,” said Rodzali Daud, the head of Malaysia’s air force to the Berita Harian newspaper. He added that the jet was flying at around 30,000ft.
Pulau Perak, or Silver Island, is a tiny rock in the middle of the Strait that marks Malaysia’s westernmost point.
Search teams have so far failed to find any sign of the plane in the Malacca Strait and were yesterday extending the radius of their sweep.
If the report from the military is verified, Flight MH370 continued at a cruising altitude for at least another 350 miles with its transponder and other tracking systems off.
Police said that their investigation was “focusing on four areas: hijacking, sabotage, psychological problems of the passengers and crew and personal problems among the passengers and crew”.
Other investigators are still looking at the possibility of mechanical failure.
“We have been going through all the passenger manifest, we have communicated with our counterparts in at least 14 countries and also from other parts of the world and we have been exchanging information and intelligence,” said Mr Bakar.
Villagers from near Marang, on Malaysia’s eastern coast, told police they had heard a “loud and frightening noise” at around 1.20am on Saturday morning.
Alias Salleh, a 36-year-old lorry driver told Malaysia’s The Sun Daily, he and friends had run towards the source of the noise, “but did not see anything unusual.”
The noise sounded like “the fan of a jet engine,” Mr Salleh added.
Mohd Yusri Mohd Yusof, a 34-year-old villager, said: “My friends and I heard the ringing noise for about two minutes.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation