Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 02:27 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
All very intriguing. What's your source for this info?

If it's true that the military knew about it but was keeping it quiet (bizarre), and that the island they were flying low over (with no explosion reported) was a military base, it means the plane could have landed safely, and everyone survived.
Flipping through news channels. Fox was one of them, MSNBC was another, (hey, it was a commercial break on the other channels), but they both were saying the same thing. When I say, "they", I mean, they had some FAA official being interviewed on one, and I don't remember the title on the other channel...but it's not just reporters speculating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 02:35 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,918 times
Just a thought here: Perhaps this flight was indeed hijacked. Perhaps the criminals had taken over the plan with hopes of crashing it into the Petronas Towers in a similar manner that they did the Twin Towers in NYC in 2001. Judging from the information we have now that the plan made an about face in direction heading back toward Malaysia, assuming Kuala Lampur, this would provide some idea as to what transpired before the plane disappeared. I don't know if anything beyond that can be inferred, except to say that pilot error likely ended the flight somewhere to the SW of Malaysia, and that the search should be focused to that area now.

I have no other answers, just a wild theory.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:36 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Flipping through news channels. Fox was one of them, MSNBC was another, (hey, it was a commercial break on the other channels), but they both were saying the same thing. When I say, "they", I mean, they had some FAA official being interviewed on one, and I don't remember the title on the other channel...but it's not just reporters speculating.
Probably more will become clear as the day wears on. But based on what you posted, it sounds like the plane for unknown reasons reversed course, flew to a secluded military base, and landed successfully. It means the passengers were alive upon landing. What has happened since, we have no clue.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:51 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Probably more will become clear as the day wears on. But based on what you posted, it sounds like the plane for unknown reasons reversed course, flew to a secluded military base, and landed successfully. It means the passengers were alive upon landing. What has happened since, we have no clue.
I missed the part about them flying to a military base. What I heard on the news channels, (and when I say media, keep in mind that of course I know they aren't always right about things...I've definitely had my fair share to say about them), was that the plane was last noticed by a military base in that area. The military base is on a small island, an earlier poster had the name of that island.

From my understanding, they flew beyond that.

Who knows...all that is "official" as of now is that the transponder was turned off, the plane turned, and went a completely different route, and it flew for another hour or so after the transponder was turned off. Those are the official statements. Oh, and that fisherman dude said the plane was low.

Oh, and that officials actually knew all of this, and failed to tell anyone this entire time. There's that part, too.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:56 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,538,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Oh, and that officials actually knew all of this, and failed to tell anyone this entire time. There's that part, too.
That is just insane. All the ships and planes that have been looking in the wrong area, all this time--what a waste of time and resources. If they knew, all this time, and are just now admitting it, that is a huge cover-up.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:08 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
I'm doing my part to help look!

Tomnod

Old 03-11-2014, 03:16 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,538,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm doing my part to help look!

Tomnod
I just saw that a little while ago. I wondered if they would use crowdsourcing to help look. It is worth a shot, anyway.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:17 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
My husband's theory from yesterday could still hold true. He thought that the plane was hijacked and that communications (transponder, etc.) could have been jammed by something as simple as a cell phone--purposely rigged to do that.

Then he said it would have been landed somewhere (I said WHERE?? in the JUNGLE? Where is there a large enough airstrip?) and they would strip it down the way people do to a stolen car. He said that they would take off and do whatever they wanted to do. (I said, How?? From what airstrip could a plane that size take off? Why would they disguise it as a different plane?) That was the buzz on an international plane spotters group that he's in. Whether it makes any sense or not.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:31 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,866,474 times
How do you hijack a plane these days--does Malaysia airlines have re-enforced cockpit doors? Sorry if I missed that part of the 29 pages.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:36 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
How do you hijack a plane these days--does Malaysia airlines have re-enforced cockpit doors? Sorry if I missed that part of the 29 pages.
When the pilots are in on it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation