Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 02:06 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,469,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I don't understand why so many of you seem desperate for these fringe theories (that have been all but disproven by sensible people) to be the solution to this "mystery". All those theories rely on either A) details that haven't been confirmed and are therefore pure speculation or B) a lack of understanding of how airplanes, airplane communication, and/or airplane mechanical and electrical failures work.

There's a reason that the least credible and the most sensationalistic news sites and channels are the only ones jumping on this story, and that reason is that smart people don't put out solutions until they have all the facts. I know it's frustrating that this "mystery" isn't one that's likely to be solved anytime soon, but that's how solving mysteries works in the real world.
I absolutely agree. The less people know about the topic at hand, the more obscene and grotesque the conspiracy theories become. Airplanes are extraordinarily complex systems with redundancies probably only rivaled by the space shuttle (unless it's a Russian space shuttle that probably doesn't even have a battery ).

That being said, it is human nature to speculate on mysteries such as this but, to take an Occam Razor's approach, the simplest answer is going to be the best answer. That answer may consist of a series of events that led to the aircraft's disappearance - and while those events may seem wholly unlikely - they won't be riddled with explanations of black holes, computer viruses, and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
A quarter of ton of lithium batteries would have blown-up the plane if they caught fire. My condolences to the families as well.
Well, so would have the roughly 60,000 lbs. of fuel on board had it caught fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Here we have the PM of a country demanding that families grieve without one actual shread of actual evidence.

What does that tell us?
I think it's actually a reasonable thing to do. The plane has been missing for going on three solid weeks. I fully believe the mathematics behind it because I do understand the math of doppler effects, satellite triangulation, and the like. It's actually a very cogent and reasonable explanation.

The plane only had so much fuel on board. At a certain altitude at even the most conservative fuel burn ratio, it could have only flown so far. Using the doppler effect to determine which arc it went was really a stroke of brilliance. Wish I'd have thought of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
To be accurate, stuxnet targeted embedded systems.

I proposed the virus scenario also way back in this thread:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/33848862-post207.html

I still think that malevolent software is something that needs to be looked into. The vector for introducing it does not have to be a network. I am sure Boeing revs their software and those new revisions have to be loaded into the plane's computers. It seems possible that someone could have altered a revision that then got uploaded as part of maintenance. What is the chain of custody for maintenance software for an airplane?
I know stuxnet targeted embedded systems... Specifically a Siemens brand of computer commonly used in manufacturing and, I guess, nuclear centrifuges.

What I was getting at, though, is that every single computer on the aircraft truly is unique, isolated, and separate from one another. System 1 never meets System 2. System 3 never meets System 1 or 2 - but they are cross-comparing data from one another. The software communication that goes between the boxes is an ARINC standard using a 32-bit data word. To write a virus that basically tricks every single aircraft box would be like writing a virus for every Siemens computer out there to trick out every single other system.

The scale of producing such a virus would have to be so much larger than Stuxnet that only a government could be involved. And, if a government were involved, there'd be more than just one aircraft headed South - otherwise it'd just be a waste.

I do upload software on a fairly routine basis on the 777. The FMC's are updated monthly and the EFB's bi-monthly. Other components have software updates on an "as needed" basis but that's pretty rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 02:10 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,111,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
...One thing I would like to know is who the pilot spoke with on a throw-away cell phone right before he took off. That is one thing that Malaysia is holding back on.
Walter White?

Old 03-25-2014, 02:11 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,653,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Where did you get the information saying the pilot was divorced?
The poster just doesn't know the different between divorced and estranged (and living in the same house).

Old 03-25-2014, 02:22 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,659,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Where did you get the information saying the pilot was divorced?

Also, where did you get info the oil rigger was discredited?
This is the info I find:

Quote:
Given the apparently location of the rig, and the original flight path of MH370, it's possible that McKay is correct. But that would also seem to discount the theory that the plane turned and headed in the complete opposite direction, as some military authorities have (at least temporarily) claimed.
As far as the divorce, can't find it anywhere.

Concerning what the oil rigger said, if he saw the plane turn and drop it would look like the plane went down.
Maybe this is stupid but I really would like for someone to tell me if the batteries could have been burning and burnt right through leaving a hole in the plane, falling entirely out of the plane???

Old 03-25-2014, 02:35 PM

30,318 posts, read 23,800,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I'd like to know the truth, too. But you don't learn the truth by spinning tales based on few facts. In fact, I'm pretty sure that that takes you away from the truth rather than towards it.

Let the experts do their jobs. ...

Anyway, whatever. I'll leave you all to your wild fantasies, while I continue keeping the victims in my thoughts and prayers.
This is a very insulting post, and frankly, there have been a few insulting posts in the last couple of days.

First of all, have you ever been in a meeting, say, a board meeting? You do realize that people sit down, they discuss things, they come up with why this could work, why that couldn't work...you do realize that what is going on here, in this forum, is something that goes on all across the globe on a daily basis...people talking, sharing ideas? You realize that, right?

Second of all, talking about it is what people do when they are trying to make sense of something that makes no sense.

NO ONE knows what happened, so people talk about theories. You do realize that theories, and hypothesis are actually the very basic foundations for science? You present a hypothesis, you gather data, you come to a conclusion. You learned that in jr high if not earlier. We don't have much data, all we get is whatever the talking heads deem to tell us...so we are stuck in the hypothesis stage, the theory stage, if you want, as we try to make sense in our brains what may have happened. So WHAT if people share different or new ideas?

Finally, you have not cornered the market on caring for the families. People here obviously care. If people didn't care, they wouldn't even be here discussing this.

I'm sick of some of these holier than thou attitudes. You don't have it figured out any more than the next guy. If people discussing it bother you so much, why on earth did you click the thread?

Old 03-25-2014, 02:40 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
If Homeland Security took that as a real possibility we ought to fire everyone there and stop wasting our tax payer money.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/A.../data=!3m1!4b1

Notice how all the airports are in highly populated areas where it would be impossible to land and hide an aircraft. Also if it did happen the Pakistanis would handle the situation and send in the SSG Commandos to end any hijacking situation. I don't understand why people think Pakistan would hide the plan instead of dealing with it considering Pakistan is an ally since 1947-8. It really blows my mind this was given any credence in the media.
The gov't wastes taxpayer money routinely. That's one reason they don't divulge everything they're doing. And probably, they had to investigate a potential Pakistan connection, if only as a long shot. How (or if) the Pakistani gov't would react to the plane landing somewhere on its turf has been discussed much earlier in the thread. Suffice it to say that opinions were far from unanimous.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:42 PM

30,318 posts, read 23,800,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
The poster has a valid point that we don't know all the details but his conclusion is ridiculous. His most plausible scenario is the PLANE WAS ABDUCTED BY ALIENS. If you think this is at ALL a valid solution, you need to quit watching all that woowoo drek on the History Channel.
Where in that post that you quoted when you made your Care Bears remark did the poster say alien abduction and expect it to be taken seriously?

Quote:
Again, I say, if the plane fell out of the sky, show me the proof.
Show me parts of the plane, oil slick, luggage, people, clothes, or what ever floating in the water as a result of this aircraft ending up in the ocean.
There is none of these things to back up that claim.
On the other hand, I have stated that it could have been an alien abduction, but I also have no way of proving that.
You will notice I did not say the aircraft was abducted by forces beyond the realm of this planet, I only stated it was possible, because I have no proof of that.
The officials came out today and stated the aircraft crashed into the Indian ocean, without a speck of proof.
What did they possibly hope to gain by putting out such stupid, unfounded statements?
Bob.
Are you lacking in comprehension to what he is saying? Shall I spell it out for you?

Old 03-25-2014, 02:44 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Is there no news about the search in the southern ocean?

Old 03-25-2014, 02:51 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,641,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Where in that post that you quoted when you made your Care Bears remark did the poster say alien abduction and expect it to be taken seriously?
Why don't you look at his posting history in this thread? Here, I'll even make it easy for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
In all 19 pages of this thread, there is only one mention of an alien abduction, and that was more of a comical nature.
I tend to believe this could be a very real event concerning this airliner.
Let's take a look at what IS known:
The plane was cruising at 35000 feet, seemingly without a problem.
One minute it is there, the next it is gone without a trace.
A plane traveling at the speed it obviously was traveling, if it suddenly nosedived into the sea, or land, would leave some sort of evidence of a plane crash..
If it exploded in flight, the remains of the aircraft would fall to the sea, or land.
At this point, all we have is speculation, nothing more.
There was no communication between the plane and ground which would back up the abduction theory.
If it were an alien abduction, obviously the craft would be equipped with jamming devices, rendering communication from the plane impossible.
How do we earthlings know who, and what's is out there?
Just because we don't have that kind of technology, doesn't mean some other life form doesn't have it.
This is a vast universe, how could we possibly know what goes on beyond our human efforts in space?
I an not saying this is what happened to this airliner, but I am also not saying it didn't.
Bob.
Quote:
It is beginning to look more like what I said in my original post.
No trace of any kind in 6, going on 7 days.
As for the two instruments being turned off, but a beeping signal still active,(at least for a while) that could tie in with an alien abduction.
I believe the aircraft could have been for lack of a better phrase) "sucked" into an alien craft, which was equipped with jamming devices, which would account for a couple of things, notably, the aircraft disappeared quickly, with no trace, the signaling devices were abruptly disabled, and after searching thousands of square mile, nothing to indicate the plane blew up in flight, crashed in the sea, or on land, and no evidence it landed safely anywhere.
I am going to stick with my alien abduction theory until such time as it can be proven it wasn't.
Even if it were an abduction, governments would never divulge that publicly for fear of a universal panic.

Bob.
Quote:
Seven days into this, and not ONE person on this planet has any real clue as to where that plane is.
I still say alien abduction.
With all these conflicting stories from press as well as government people, they still have no idea what happened.
I don't think that plane, or it's passengers will ever be found here on earth.
Bob.
Quote:
Now, assuming this was (is) an alien abduction, let's take what you have posted here.
Most feel it was a hijacking, and this is possible, but the hijackers could be from another world.
Communication technology was disabled.
An alien ship probably would have the electronic jamming capability, thereby cutting off all possible communication from the aircraft.
It has been reported that the aircraft was functional for several hours after the transponder was disabled.
Perhaps what the satellite was tracking was the spacecraft, and not the plane itself.
Perhaps the plane was already aboard the alien craft.
As for the plane changing course, that again could be the alien craft , with the planer aboard, heading in a different direction from what was considered the "normal" flight path of the aircraft.
I believe any tracking done, was that of the alien craft, not the plane.
This theory is beginning to make more sense than what is already out there.
After ten days, and not one positive sign of this aircraft?
I will stick with my initial observation.
It isn't the first time aircraft have disappeared , never to be found again, and this may well be the case here.
Bob.
Now are you satisfied he's serious and his theory is ridiculous?

Old 03-25-2014, 02:52 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,659,637 times
Quote:
I'm sick of some of these holier than thou attitudes. You don't have it figured out any more than the next guy. If people discussing it bother you so much, why on earth did you click the thread?
They probably just came onto the bandwagon while we have been on it since March 8th. We have been working our way through the tragedy and now concerned with answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation