Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 10:36 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I don't think you can guard against this type of internal attack by making changes to the door to get it open from outside. The co-pilot intent on this type of murder would just change his form of attack. This was just the path of least resistance this time.

The fact is that you have to guard securely against the passengers so that door needs to be impossible to open. Because of that you need to trust that the pilots and other flight personnel that are allowed on the cockpit side are trustworthy.

Doesn't matter if a flight attendant goes in there in the pilots absence. A little knock out drug on a napkin could have them out in seconds.

To get the pilot out this time he could have easily bought the pilot a coffee with a diuretic in it. Or put something in the pilots drink while his head was turned. This could cause a predictable run to the bathroom.

Making the door open able from the outside would have just caused him to add to his form of attack by lowering the cabin pressure to knock everyone out.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you have an internal attack like this you likely can't defeat it by changes in procedure or physical means like door modification. You have to make sure that your physiological evaluations, employee procedures and grievance procedures head this sort of thing off.
I think with technology they could prevent this from happening. I agree the pilots need to be evaluated though.

I think if they installed fingerprint scanners, or cypher locks, that the pilot would never be locked out. It just doesnt make sense to have a system with no alternative to entry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 10:36 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
What? Im reading in the local newspapers here that the co pilot went ahead and just crashed the plane while the other was in the bathroom.

Wtf? If the guy wanted to commit suicide he could have jumped from a bridge.
Crashing a plane with 150 people on it? What kind of psycho does something like that?
Cant believe this
And it's apparently happened twice in one year .... MH370 and Germanwings9525. What are the odds of that happening? Like you said, whatever happened to people jumping off a bridge or hanging themselves in their closet? I used to think jumping in front of a train was the most selfish way to off yourself ... now we have suicidal pilots crashing planes.

Loveautumn, I thought the same thing until his name was released. Unless we find out that this guy converted to Islam I don't see how it could be terrorism. Unless he is some sort of far right wing extremist.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:44 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
And it's apparently happened twice in one year .... MH370 and Germanwings9525. What are the odds of that happening? Like you said, whatever happened to people jumping off a bridge or hanging themselves in their closet? I used to think jumping in front of a train was the most selfish way to off yourself ... now we have suicidal pilots crashing planes.

Loveautumn, I thought the same thing until his name was released. Unless we find out that this guy converted to Islam I don't see how it could be terrorism. Unless he is some sort of far right wing extremist.
We don't know that MH370 was crashed intentionally. We also don't know the whole story about the latest crash.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:05 AM

508 posts, read 889,407 times
This was an act of Terrorism. It is only a matter of time until "ISIS" claims responsibility whether they were involved or not. More will be revealed about this co-pilot. Maybe, he was on psychotropic drugs or had recently converted to Islam. Undoubtedly, he had some Muslim friends given his age and being from Germany. No, none of that makes any one person a candidate for a suicidal mission like this one. But let's not ignore the contemporary situation in Germany. Speaking of history, is there maybe something that drives Germans in general to acts of unbridled and nearly unparalleled cruelty?

Old 03-26-2015, 11:11 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
I hope we will know a lot more once the authorities get into his residence, access his computer, cell phones, all types of writings and communications he may have had, etc.

He made a huge statement in perpetrating this act, so hopefully they will find a motive after going thru his stuff.

How long does it normally take to be elevated to pilot after being a co-pilot, are there a set number of years? Course, Europe is probably different than here in the US. I wonder if he was angry that his career wasn't moving along? Why did he leave his former airline and do we know which airline that was? I agree, lots of unanswered questions right now...

It is reported that he trained in Germany and Phoenix, apparently these two training areas are very common.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:31 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
After hearing on the news about similar suicide/murder crashes my take is that he wanted to commit suicide. He was too much of a coward to do it and have his family feel bad about the aftermand and stigma, so he tried to make it look like an accident so the plane flew into the mountain, because he could have just nosedived it right away. He had no idea that we would be able to piece together what really happened so quickly. Now his family is doubly devastated, and he has the blood of 150 or so on his hands.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:38 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
After hearing on the news about similar suicide/murder crashes my take is that he wanted to commit suicide. He was too much of a coward to do it and have his family feel bad about the aftermand and stigma, so he tried to make it look like an accident so the plane flew into the mountain, because he could have just nosedived it right away. He had no idea that we would be able to piece together what really happened so quickly. Now his family is doubly devastated, and he has the blood of 150 or so on his hands.
The guy is crazier than we think if he thought he could pass this off as an accident.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:43 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
This is pure speculation at this stage of the game. Nothing official has been released other than photos of the crash site and the CVR. Both of those can be found on the French air accident investigation site called BEA: Accident to the Airbus A320-211 registered D-AIPX, flight GWI18G, on 24 March 2015

The Press on the other hand are in the business of selling newspapers laden with ads. The more sensational the reporting, the more views they're likely to get and the more products advertised on their media will be sold.

Until the official report is released, everything else is speculative drivel.
What was that about speculation?

Old 03-26-2015, 11:43 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I disagree. Anyone who would do something as horrific as this wouldn't have many feelings for his family either. Besides, he's a pilot and you don't even have to be a pilot to know that there will be massive investigation. Even if he had managed to completely destroy the black boxes, there would still have been suspicions about him so the feelings of his family would not have been protected.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:48 AM

622 posts, read 527,002 times
Doesn't look like somebody who will one day fly a commercial airliner with 150 souls onboard into a mountainside does he? Andreas Lubitz: All the Photos You Need to See | Heavy.com

P.S. You'll have to copy/paste the URL I'm afraid. I'm supposed to be able to post links already, but it ain't working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation