Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 04:01 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
But let's not ignore the contemporary situation in Germany. Speaking of history, is there maybe something that drives Germans in general to acts of unbridled and nearly unparalleled cruelty?
Well aren't you just a peach! I can't believe people like you still harbor hate and racism towards Germans years later after the war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 04:25 AM

401 posts, read 534,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Well aren't you just a peach! I can't believe people like you still harbor hate and racism towards Germans years later after the war.
Heck, I don`t know of any nationality I would RATHER have in cockpit than Germans...

At least I`m glad Costa line doesn`t run manning agencies for airlines...

Old 03-28-2015, 04:54 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Actually, this is a valid question.

Several countries and our topmost behavioral and medical scientist in the field have conducted tests on volunteers to attempt to determine what makes human beings react to authority the way they do. The results, globally, are fascinating.

The studies began with The Milgram Experiment, which took place in 1961 during the Nazi trials.

Milgram experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has been repeated (with some variations) all over the world.

It's an excellent and eye-opening read.

The fact is that less than 1% of those who signed up as volunteers walked out saying various versions of 'Go to Hell!' once they learned they would have to harm another human being - even minimally. As it turns out, in the face of authority, most of us do what we're told. (I was in the 'Go to Hell' group.)

The movie The Tenth Level, starring William Shatner is a little hokey by today's standards, but the science is accurate and it's still available on Amazon. I watched it years ago, having a personal interest in the subject matter, and it's worth a watch if you can spare the time.

Please do read the Wiki article though; Harry asked a legitimate question.

Blessings,

Mahrie.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:07 AM

A quick PS.

I wasn't in the "Go to Hell" group because I'm a paragon of virtue. I've just always known that I am responsible for my own decisions, and when I stand before GOD on Judgement Day, He isn't going to ask me who told me to do what I chose to do in life, He's going to ask me why I chose to do what I did.

My conscience wouldn't let me hurt another human being, so I didn't, and I didn't care what anyone thought - except God.

So there you have it.

We each live by the dictates or our conscience; or we should.

Mahrie.

Last edited by Mahrie; 03-28-2015 at 05:35 AM..

Old 03-28-2015, 05:42 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakhuwin View Post
hello
i am sorry sir i am not capable for this question
thanks
Wow, what a virgin post...

Old 03-28-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
It's not that there were accidents, Neuling; it's that all three were suicide/murders. That's what I find disturbing. There has to be a better way to screen pilots of commercial jets than that which is currently in play.

I have to travel anyway, and (God Willing) will continue to. I've already been in a plane crash - which wasn't fun - and it was a very bad truck accident, twelve years ago, that put me in a wheelchair. (I haven't been shipwrecked yet, or been a passenger on a derailed train!) I'm still traveling, but I know of scores of people who haven't flown since 9/11 because they are afraid to. This latest crash, and the two before it, aren't helping the situation any.

That was my point.

Blessings,

Mahrie.
Sure, but it doesn't make any difference whether it was an accident or not. It's like with shooting sprees at schools. They occur from time to time, they are not accidents, still children continue to go to school as if nothing happened. Sure, parents could opt for home schooling instead, but they don't because it would force them to make big changes in terms of career, life style, etc. The same goes for flying, the alternatives are not practical in most cases.

Since you have been in a plane crash yourself, of course you feel more strongly about it. But you are a total exception, hardly anyone has been in a plane crash, so in the view of the vast majority of people plane crashes will continue to happen to other people, not themselves

Old 03-28-2015, 06:38 AM

777 posts, read 1,872,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I'm assuming this note came from his shrink, which he had been seeing in February and March, not a medical doctor.
Your assumptions aside, while some mental health professionals are not medical doctors, psychiatrists are indeed MDs.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sure, but it doesn't make any difference whether it was an accident or not. It's like with shooting sprees at schools. They occur from time to time, they are not accidents, still children continue to go to school as if nothing happened. Sure, parents could opt for home schooling instead, but they don't because it would force them to make big changes in terms of career, life style, etc. The same goes for flying, the alternatives are not practical in most cases.

Since you have been in a plane crash yourself, of course you feel more strongly about it. But you are a total exception, hardly anyone has been in a plane crash, so in the view of the vast majority of people plane crashes will continue to happen to other people, not themselves

Neuling,

My being in a plane crash has nothing at all to do with the issue. I was born an airforce brat and I love flying! You missed my point entirely.

Cheers,

Mahrie.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Neuling,

My being in a plane crash has nothing at all to do with the issue. I was born an airforce brat and I love flying! You missed my point entirely.

Cheers,

Mahrie.
I don't think so. Else I don't understand the uncool attitude of yours. Especially since you are an airforce brat. Since the media only focus on flights that go wrong, there will be more and more such incidents in the future, simply because the absolute number of flights keeps increasing. It is only a matter of time before the next plane crashes and there are hundreds of victims, I assume there will be one or two more this year alone.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:12 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

I share the same attitude. Frequency of tragedies is always magnified out of proportion by the media. One single incident, or even 10 of them, may not justify a systemic change since the frequency is still very, very, very small among all commercial flights. And more importantly, fixing an issue may lead to a host of other issues. The separation of the cockpit from the passengers was a measure to fix the issue of possible terrorist acts, but see what it did? I bet the people that implemented this measure did not see this coming. Chances are we cannot predict the consequences of the reaction to this Germanwings incident, either.

The reality is, there is only that much we can improve on safety. If heavier emphasis is put on psychological screening, other areas may have to given in because of the limit on resources and the limit on the human mind: putting more restrictions on pilots may result in less competent pilots since those that are more capable don't want to put up with the hassle.

Safety is very important, but it's not everything. In the past, people have sacrificed their lives for freedom and independence. If we accept more restrictions and less comfort in exchange for a tiny margin of safety, is it worth it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation