Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 06:12 AM

405 posts, read 256,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
The second-hand smoke kills swaths of people is largely a myth. Not completely, but not as extreme as they want you to believe either.

I don't defend smoking by any means, but there was a time when everyone was exposed to second hand smoke all day, every day yet only those who actually smoked came down with lung ailments. All those people living into their late 80s and 90s today ALL grew up in the era of smoking on planes, hospitals, theaters, grocery stores and workplaces. I'm very glad it's banned in those places, but today, you actually have to go out of your way to be near smoke, so relax, that bit of smoke you encounter once in a while is a lot less harmful than pushing a lawnmower or lighting up a b-b-q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 07:35 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
I don't defend smoking by any means, but there was a time when everyone was exposed to second hand smoke all day, every day yet only those who actually smoked came down with lung ailments. All those people living into their late 80s and 90s today ALL grew up in the era of smoking on planes, hospitals, theaters, grocery stores and workplaces. I'm very glad it's banned in those places, but today, you actually have to go out of your way to be near smoke, so relax, that bit of smoke you encounter once in a while is a lot less harmful than pushing a lawnmower or lighting up a b-b-q
difference being we only use a lawnmower now and again and have a b b q when hot .. people smoked around children all the time when I was young.. and even when my children were small.its not on and not right to be continually in a smokey house that leaves its traces everywhere. my house stank with other peopled ciggies. and its harmful and the height of ignorance as well as seflish...to puff away in other peoples housing especially in front of children.. I had a son with severe asthma which he still has at 50... my other kids had allergies as I do . and not a bugger cared.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:54 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
I dislike smoking and can't stand the smell. And an ex-smoker for 15 years. The second-hand smoke kills swaths of people is largely a myth. Not completely, but not as extreme as they want you to believe either.

That being said, grab some nicorette. And buy your drink at the airport.
Right.

The CDC is just making this up. They don't actually have study after study published in peer-reviewed journals that demonstrate this (wait, they do - but they're all fake and the thousands of people involved in the study are all in on this vast conspiracy, right?). You actually have evidence to prove your extraordinary assertion (you won't share it, but you have it, right?). You don't give any reason for why the CDC would even want to perpetuate this 'myth' (but they do, you assure us, right?). And we should all believe some yahoo online instead of the global medical community practicing self-correcting science. Right?

Quote:
Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day.
https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_sta...acts/index.htm

What baffles me is that some people are so vested in denying and/or minimizing the dangers of smoking. Of all the causes in the world, the denial - in the face of overwhelming evidence - of something that kills an astounding number of persons, directly and indirectly, smokers and non-smokers, is the cause that some people embrace.

What truly bizarre priorities!

Old 08-10-2018, 07:58 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Right.

The CDC is just making this up. They don't actually have study after study published in peer-reviewed journals that demonstrate this (wait, they do - but they're all fake and the thousands of people involved in the study are all in on this vast conspiracy, right?). You actually have evidence to prove your extraordinary assertion (you won't share it, but you have it, right?). You don't give any reason for why the CDC would even want to perpetuate this 'myth' (but they do, you assure us, right?). And we should all believe some yahoo online instead of the global medical community practicing self-correcting science. Right?

What baffles me is that some people are so vested in denying and/or minimizing the dangers of smoking. Of all the causes in the world, the denial - in the face of overwhelming evidence - of something that kills an astounding number of persons, directly and indirectly, smokers and non-smokers, is the cause that some people embrace.

Smokers have always been the same.... Ive had it all my life trying to tell smokers that my eyes are stinging with their smoke or I cough a lot.. not to mention the smell they project on to others..I told my own mother for years it wasnt healthy around my children and was laughed at as her and my aunts and cousins then all smoked so I was the odd one out.... so yes Im glad of the bans and now I watch small gatherings outside offices on their break like vagrants huddled together in the cold and rain for a sly puff. its degrading. why dont they just get some balls and pack it in.... pack play on words haha.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:24 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Right.

It has nothing to do with priorities. When someone is an addict, the addiction must always be protected.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:28 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
its not the airports, airlines, etc. thats the problem. the problem is the anti smoking crowd that sued the tobacco companies, the various governments, and anyone else they could think of to force an end to smoking. personally i dont smoke, but i have no issue with people that do.

actually in aircraft, even though smoking was allowed back in the day, the air on board the plane was actually fairly smoke free. the reason for that was that the aircraft drew in outside air from the compressor section of the engines(jet aircraft), and vented the air out the back to prevent over pressurizing the aircraft. these days they still use the engines to provide pressurized air to the cabin, but they control the amount at the inlet not the outlet anymore, so air is not vented to the outside anymore.
The very first flight I ever took (back in the 80s) was from the US to Europe. My seat was in the non-smoking section. The very next row was the smoking section. Believe me, the air around me was most definitely NOT "fairly smoke free"!

Thankfully, smoking rates are declining, estimated to be about 15.2% in the US. None of my friends smoke, and neither does anyone in my family (anymore). Twenty years ago, my MIL and FIL both smoked, but they both quit when the first grandchild was born.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:50 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
The very first flight I ever took (back in the 80s) was from the US to Europe. My seat was in the non-smoking section. The very next row was the smoking section. Believe me, the air around me was most definitely NOT "fairly smoke free"!

Thankfully, smoking rates are declining, estimated to be about 15.2% in the US. None of my friends smoke, and neither does anyone in my family (anymore). Twenty years ago, my MIL and FIL both smoked, but they both quit when the first grandchild was born.
Yes, when I look back, it is amusing how it was as if the smoke would just stay in that section.

I remember when they first banned smoking on flights. I went into a panic. I didn't see how I could possibly be on a 2-1/2 hour flight to Florida and survive without a cigarette that WHOLE TIME.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:21 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post

Can you back that up with evidence.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:30 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenKW View Post
Nicotine Takes Edge Off Anger - Live Science

Hidden Benefits Of Nicotine on The Brain - Mental Health Daily

To me it seems like the psycho authoritarians types for some reason get to have airports as there private playgrounds to screw with people. Flying used to be fun, BYOB no problem and a smoking section even on the planes but now everything has gone stupid for some reason.

I honestly cannot figure out how anyone smokes in 2018. Anywhere. By the way, when you are in public and can be seen smoking, you are getting contemptuously sneered at by probably 80% of all the people who can see you. They are thinking that you are incredibly weak, and of below average character. Smoking is that dumb, and that hated, in 2018. Just stop already.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Smokers have always been the same.... Ive had it all my life trying to tell smokers that my eyes are stinging with their smoke or I cough a lot.. not to mention the smell they project on to others..I told my own mother for years it wasnt healthy around my children and was laughed at as her and my aunts and cousins then all smoked so I was the odd one out.... so yes Im glad of the bans and now I watch small gatherings outside offices on their break like vagrants huddled together in the cold and rain for a sly puff. its degrading. why dont they just get some balls and pack it in.... pack play on words haha.
When I was in high school and college, when someone was forcing everyone else the breather the crud they chose to inhale into their lungs, we simply stood around them and coughed on them non-stop until they put it out. It worked pretty well (well except when it started a fight). It is really like having an alcoholic walk around and pour part of their drink into your mouth. You woudl punch them wouldn't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation