Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is baltimore a northern city?
yes 52 45.61%
no 62 54.39%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 07:27 AM

194 posts, read 240,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
That's nice. I'll bet you won't find any significant number of people in any of the northern states NJ or higher to state that they are "southern" because they are 100% clearly not and could never be.

If you could get 60 percent of people in Jersey to agree that they live in the south, then Jersey wouldn't magically become the south in the same way MD doesn't magically become the north.
That's still a majority pal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I wouldn't consider 42% of White voting for Obama as necessarily voting Northeastern, as that's lower than Pennsylvania's. If that's the case, MD is the most conservative state of the Northeast, OR the most liberal state of the South (unless you count Missouri as Southern). High number for the South, low for the Northeast. It's a very "Mid-Atlantic" way of voting, where the White voting follows a gradient of going lower the further South you go. Virginia's White votes for Obama were in the mid 30s, following that gradient of lower and lower numbers the closer you get to the Deep South.

By the way, the discussion here is New York, not "the Northeast". But funnily enough, the "reddest" state of the New England region is New Hampshire, that had 50% of the White vote. New York had about 52%.

New Orleans has a large percentage of French people and they about as Northeast as it gets, with their main population centers being in New England. So Maryland is Midwestern like Louisiana is Northeastern. However, let me grant you THAT point and remind you that you also said:

However, I don't know if you remember that we are talking about comparing Maryland to NEW YORK.

Ethnically, Maryland isn't much like New York. It's got too low percentages of Italians, Jews, Puerto Ricans, and West Indians to have anything ethnically in common with NY or NYC. There aren't many Germans in New York. Maryland's Whites for the most part aren't of the Mediterranean variety like they are in New York.

...and conveniently left out the fact that the South is HEAVILY Black in ancestry, and Maryland's Black percentage rivals Georgia's.

Also, remember this conversation is about comparing MD to NY.
Comment is superfluous. We already had this discussion. I'm not the only one who says Maryland accents are Southern.

But since we're supposed to be talking about New York, under no stretch of the imagination is MD similar linguistically to NY or NYC. AT ALL.
Go away already. I can assure you that 42 percent of whites is probably still more than those who voted Republican. Even if not many Northern states are pushed over the age by their African American populations. You're superfluous. French population isn't a Northern characteristic like German Americans are. When I want your criticism I'll ask for it. You want so badly for Maryland to be Southern you'll take an accent that isn't Southern and call it Southern. I'm not comparing Maryland to New York. More like Pennsylvania which is majority German American. The accent is typical of the Lower Northeast. New York has a different accent from New England yet nobody complains there.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:54 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,421,471 times
I like non-racist ethnic whites!

Old 11-27-2014, 07:57 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
That's still a majority pal.
The Majority believe lots of things, doesn't make them true or fact. My point is the majority has no bearing on this discussion.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
The Majority believe lots of things, doesn't make them true or fact. My point is the majority has no bearing on this discussion.
That sounds code to me for that "I'm defeated but won't admit it."

Old 11-27-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
That sounds code to me for that "I'm defeated but won't admit it."
LOL

You keep thinking that

edit: since we're saying the majority rule then I guess this poll is PROOF Maryland is not a northeastern city. WIN!
See, ha! I told ya! Majority Rule!

Except that's not how it is. Again I say to you, take any number of northerners and put them in a southern state and no change would occur to that state's "southernness"

Old 11-27-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
LOL

You keep thinking that

edit: since we're saying the majority rule then I guess this poll is PROOF Maryland is not a northeastern city. WIN!
See, ha! I told ya! Majority Rule!

Except that's not how it is. Again I say to you, take any number of northerners and put them in a southern state and no change would occur to that state's "southernness"
Right you keep saying that. Maryland is not a Southern state by today's standards. Anybody with half a brain could see that. Arguing with you is like arguing with a broken record so please don't bother me again as I'm not interested in going to the ends of the earth to prove one person wrong like you are. The poll has also been closed a long time so people can't continue to vote. The 60 percent of majority that voted were native Marylanders. This poll likely included out of staters and a much smaller sample of people.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Right you keep saying that. Maryland is not a Southern state by today's standards. Anybody with half a brain could see that. Arguing with you is like arguing with a broken record so please don't bother me again as I'm not interested in going to the ends of the earth to prove one person wrong like you are. The poll has also been closed a long time so people can't continue to vote. The 60 percent of majority that voted were native Marylanders. This poll likely included out of staters and a much smaller sample of people.
Well hey if you keep bringing the same stuff to the table then I will do the same -- sounds like a broken record coming from you as well. You're welcome to keep thinking the way you do.

One of us has history on their side and the other has "well everyone thinks they aren't southern so I WIN!". Hey dude, whatever you think it's cool with me

Old 11-27-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Well hey if you keep bringing the same stuff to the table then I will do the same -- sounds like a broken record coming from you as well. You're welcome to keep thinking the way you do.

One of us has history on their side and the other has "well everyone thinks they aren't southern so I WIN!". Hey dude, whatever you think it's cool with me
I also have history on my side. Your history is before the Civil war, mine is after and in the modern times, particularly in the last 60 years. Go on believing you have a one up on me. You don't. I'm putting you on ignore as all you want to do is pick a fight. Unlike you I have a life outside this forum. Don't bother replying because I won't see it.

Last edited by Ball freak; 11-27-2014 at 08:48 AM..

Old 11-27-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I also have history on my side. Your history is before the Civil war, mine is after and in the modern times, particularly in the latter half of this century. Go on believing you have a one up on me. You don't. Get lost. And don't bother me anymore.
You have what was expected of Maryland and expected of many southern states. Change over time, loss of accent, more diversity and a curiously "in the middle" side of politics mix between northern and southern states.

Kinda sounds like an in the middle state to me. If we were being intellectually honest then we would both concede to Maryland's "in the middle" Mid-Atlantic by today's standards (well how about that! ).

Maryland has yet to secede and is largely southern by history and that INCLUDES after the civil war so your time frame is off. Just because you or anyone else don't feel it's southern anymore doesn't mean reality somehow changes.

PS: Just because you ask me to stop responding doesn't mean I will. If it frustrates you that much then stop responding.

edit: I love how entertaining and comical it is when people put you on ignore. It's like when a child puts their fingers in their ears and screams "la la la la"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore