Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is baltimore a northern city?
yes 52 45.61%
no 62 54.39%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 08:52 AM

194 posts, read 240,567 times

Advertisements

If only I could see your message....too bad you just wasted your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 08:22 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZK9Xsu0rac

I wonder if the guys who did this video wanted it to seem Southern since it looks like it was filmed in the Deep South. I've never seen palm trees in Baldamer.

Do they even grow there???

Anyway, even if that video was filmed in the Deep South (or California or Florida or something), the accents sound Southern on the people in the video. They sound not to different from Black Chicagoans, who mostly have Mississippi accents (many of the Blacks here come from MS and our deep segregation has caused them to maintain their MS accent).

Old 11-27-2014, 08:26 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post

I wonder if the guys who did this video wanted it to seem Southern since it looks like it was filmed in the Deep South. I've never seen palm trees in Baldamer.

Anyway, even if that video was filmed in the Deep South (or California or Florida or something), the accents sound Southern on the people in the video. They sound not to different from Black Chicagoans, who mostly have Mississippi accents (many of the Blacks here come from MS and our deep segregation has caused them to maintain their MS accent).
Palm trees only grow in malls in Maryland.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:

African American vernacular is spoken in many cities outside of the south including Baltimore. African American dialect iS the weakest argument to use to classify a city as belonging to a certain region.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:35 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
African American vernacular is spoken in many cities outside of the south including Baltimore. African American dialect iS the weakest argument to use to classify a city as belonging to a certain region.
New York Blacks speak very differently from Southern Blacks, as do Boston Blacks. Have you ever been to the Northeast? I'm thinking you either haven't traveled, or even listened to rap music.

Tell me Spike Lee sounds like these guys. You act as if Blacks from all over the country sound Southern, which is very inaccurate.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
New York Blacks speak very differently from Southern Blacks, as do Boston Blacks. Have you ever been to the Northeast? I'm thinking you either haven't traveled, or even listened to rap music.

Tell me Spike Lee sounds like these guys. You act as if Blacks from all over the country sound Southern, which is very inaccurate.
I've been to 40 states and listened to plenty of rap. DMX is from the Bronx and EVe is from Philly. Both sound like stereotypical African Americans. I've been to New York and all the blacks I met didn't sound too different from Midwestern blacks...all spoke African American vernacular pretty well. Didn't sound any different from the blacks in Baltimore or D.C. Go on pretending like you know me because the more you guess the more wrong you are.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:05 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
I've been to 40 states and listened to plenty of rap. DMX is from the Bronx and EVe is from Philly. Both sound like stereotypical African Americans. I've been to New York and all the blacks I met didn't sound too different from Midwestern blacks...all spoke African American vernacular pretty well. Didn't sound any different from the blacks in Baltimore or D.C. Go on pretending like you know me because the more you guess the more wrong you are.
There are certainly differences between the regions. A black person Philly isn't going to sound like a Black person from Oklahoma. Blacks from Southern California have a distinct accent. I have family from all over the country and it's always interesting to here the different accents they have. Not all African Americans have a strong vernacular dialect. That's even more prevalent among the younger generation.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:48 AM

622 posts, read 948,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
There are certainly differences between the regions. A black person Philly isn't going to sound like a Black person from Oklahoma. Blacks from Southern California have a distinct accent. I have family from all over the country and it's always interesting to here the different accents they have. Not all African Americans have a strong vernacular dialect. That's even more prevalent among the younger generation.
Neither does the black person from Baltimore.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:20 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Neither does the black person from Baltimore.
Yes, that's true.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:15 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
DMX is from Yonkers actually. But it's close enough to The Bronx that it looks like it could be part of that borough lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore