Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:26 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,298,847 times

Advertisements

I don't think either political party gets a free pass, but the globalization of the economy isn't a political issue as much as it is an economic one. It sucks that Americans don't have jobs, but it is great that I can go to Walmart and by cheap goods made overseas. It is a bit of a double edged sword - more jobs or more spending power for the dollar.

I think the liberals in government and the media are more blameworthy on the "white guilt" issue. The intention was good, the results weren't very well thought out. Again, the vaccuum created by the tearing down of historic white heroes and the vilification of their actions in founding this country had to be filled by something. What filled the gap was the ghetto culture of anger towards those with more, promotion of ill-gotten gain, and violence as means of gaining credibility among peers. I think the previous model was better, I would rather poor kids look up to and try to emulate the Bill Gates and rich fat cats of the world than sink down to the message that the poor are powerless and should be angry, violent, and self-serving because of their financial condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 12:06 AM

773 posts, read 2,630,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I think the liberals in government and the media are more blameworthy on the "white guilt" issue.
In your mind only. I had no historical role models. My models were my mom and dad, my older sister and brother. I grew up in the unit block of Luzerne Ave. We were blue collar and poor. My parents never owned a car, as was the same for all of my East Baltimore friends. We never had a TV until 1950. Yet I was able to graduate from JHU. I had a state scholarship, but I would have been able to attend Hopkins on my dad's meager earnings even if I did not have a scholarship. Few kids growing up in East Baltimore could do that today.

In those Eisenhower years unions were strong, and top income rates were 90%. We were poor, but I never felt there was a great gap separating me from the middle class, no ceiling to what I could accomplish. Three decades of Republican "trickle down" economics has turned this country backwards. I am truly fortunate to have been born during the Roosevelt administration.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:51 AM

No, I assure you it isn't just my mind. You grew up many years ago. Maybe you haven't seen the changes in the last 15 years as clearly as I have because I was in the school system and part of "youth culture" as I saw it happen. My guess is that if you went back to elementary school or high school today you would be very surprised to see what is being taught and the general attitude of teachers and students alike. As a substitute just watch some "youth" oriented TV channels. Try MTV. Even for someone in my 30s it is appalling trash that is poison to the minds of white youth.

Again, I don't have all the answers, but I know what I saw, I remember the before and current PC era, and I know enough about the past to see the agenda from Algers to Dylan to Clinton. The liberals are the ones that wanted a class based culture, they got it. I think it sucks personally and it isn't just me that sees these things.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:41 AM

915 posts, read 3,180,127 times
Definitely the west side is worst...you have Hopkins buying properties from Caroline St towards Bayview...sooner or later, all of those area will be clean out except maybe those Sect 8 houses...

Old 05-05-2011, 01:28 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,247,758 times
Dont know about crime, but east side looks more visually blighted. Much more boarded up houses and vacant lots that are full of trash, than west side. The areas around The American Brewery on the east side rivals Detroit, North Philly, Camden and East St. Louis.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:59 PM

226 posts, read 363,643 times
Quote:
No, I assure you it isn't just my mind. You grew up many years ago. Maybe you haven't seen the changes in the last 15 years as clearly as I have because I was in the school system and part of "youth culture" as I saw it happen. My guess is that if you went back to elementary school or high school today you would be very surprised to see what is being taught and the general attitude of teachers and students alike. As a substitute just watch some "youth" oriented TV channels. Try MTV. Even for someone in my 30s it is appalling trash that is poison to the minds of white youth.

Again, I don't have all the answers, but I know what I saw, I remember the before and current PC era, and I know enough about the past to see the agenda from Algers to Dylan to Clinton. The liberals are the ones that wanted a class based culture, they got it. I think it sucks personally and it isn't just me that sees these things.

excuse me?? i dont know of a liberal that wants a society based on class, if anything republicans have done everything to make sure the working poor stay just that the working poor...the policies of reagan and the 2 bushes have been the worse for working people and have set many working people back not that i think the democrats are better, the govt needs to repeal nafta

Old 05-05-2011, 03:41 PM

Oh, come on, liberals pander to class consciousness, just like conservatives blindly wave around flags and appeal to patriotism. If I had a dime for everytime our liberal president said 'Don't worry, these tax increases only effect the rich," I would be in that top tax bracket!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
excuse me?? i dont know of a liberal that wants a society based on class, if anything republicans have done everything to make sure the working poor stay just that the working poor...the policies of reagan and the 2 bushes have been the worse for working people and have set many working people back ...
you got that right, bro

Quote:
Oh, come on, liberals pander to class consciousness ...
westsideboy is too young to know the difference between the modern liberal (as he defines them) and an FDR, Truman, Johnson Democrat like me. The Republicans are trying to shift Medicare and SS onto a privately administered voucher plan, while further reducing taxes on the wealthy. Other items on the Republican agenda:Unless you are making more than $250,000 per year and/or are a religious nut, the Republicans are screwing you, oh ever so gently.

As this is a forum on Baltimore, I'll cut it off here. Send me a PM westsideboy, if you like, and we can continue it from here.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:31 PM

If my options are the slow bleed from the GOP, or watch the Dems complete the country's transformation into an entitlement welfare state. I will take the former.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
If my options are the slow bleed from the GOP, or watch the Dems complete the country's transformation into an entitlement welfare state. I will take the former.
You'll get the slow bleed. Check back in 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore