Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 04:48 AM

706 posts, read 1,308,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
And you dig up an article that is almost a year old to prove your point?
No one said there was no crime in the area. There is. But, the point many are trying to make including the original article from Travel and Leisure is that it is recognized for the improvements that have taken place.

Also, the guy arrested lived in the 1100 block of Milton. That's a long way from the park.
I posted an article in response to someone that said they have never seen a crackhead around there. That is all. I apologize if you live there. I am not saying it is the worst area in Baltimore. I don't think is a horrible area. I am just trying to make a point that it is not the utopia some make it out to be. Federal Hill is 1000% better. At night (and even during the day) there is crime. A good amount of it goes unreported too. Most people I know feel safe during the daylight and that is about it.

If you want to feel safe in the city-I would stick to Fed Hill, not Patterson Park.

Here is a murder that happened 2 or 3 weeks ago:

Application Error (http://spotcrime.com/crime-report/18054202/shooting+on+13xx+n+pahat - broken link)

Here is a body that was found in Patterson Park in Feb:

Shooting - 13XX N PATTERSON PARK AV, BALTIMORE, MD - 04/21/2011 06:47 PM

Here is an article written in December of 2010 about how crime is on the rise there:

Crime Near Baltimore’s Patterson Park On The Rise « CBS Baltimore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 04:55 AM

706 posts, read 1,308,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
I posted an article in response to someone that said they have never seen a crackhead around there. That is all. I apologize if you live there. I am not saying it is the worst area in Baltimore. I don't think is a horrible area. I am just trying to make a point that it is not the utopia some make it out to be. Federal Hill is 1000% better. At night (and even during the day) there is crime. A good amount of it goes unreported too. Most people I know feel safe during the daylight and that is about it.

If you want to feel safe in the city-I would stick to Fed Hill, not Patterson Park.

Here is a murder that happened 2 or 3 weeks ago:

Application Error (http://spotcrime.com/crime-report/18054202/shooting+on+13xx+n+pahat - broken link)

Here is a body that was found in Patterson Park in Feb:

Shooting - 13XX N PATTERSON PARK AV, BALTIMORE, MD - 04/21/2011 06:47 PM

Here is an article written in December of 2010 about how crime is on the rise there:

Crime Near Baltimore’s Patterson Park On The Rise « CBS Baltimore
Jon-you seem to live right by the park. I meant no offense to you personally. You seem like a super nice guy and I (and many others) appreciate your informative posts. However, it does seem like you are not impartial to the area to be fair:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/balti...r-id-like.html

Old 05-12-2011, 07:28 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,512,067 times
Don't you think his living near there makes JonJ more of an expert than you?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:22 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,899,907 times
The shooting you referenced happened 13 blocks north of Patterson Park. Patterson Park ave is a street through the whole east side.

The article about the robberies show that people in the neighborhood are active and care.... And guess what, the guy got caught. I've lived in harmless suburbias that had a string of robberies, it happens some times when a few individuals go on a run.

Patterson Park is a great park, and the neighborhoods to the south, east and west are very nice and safe, and people to the north are workin hard and it has gotten pretty nice there too. Everyone I know that lives there loves it and encourages others to join them.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:50 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,594,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
Jon-you seem to live right by the park. I meant no offense to you personally. You seem like a super nice guy and I (and many others) appreciate your informative posts. However, it does seem like you are not impartial to the area to be fair:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/balti...r-id-like.html
Thank you for your compliment. My background: Before I moved to Baltimore, I lived in the south end of Boston, another area that at the time, many people were skeptical of. Go there today, and its a great neighborhood. I find the same coming true to Patterson Park. When I moved to this neighborhood four years ago, I saw the drug deals in the alley behind my home. I even had a hooker sitting on my stoop. That's gone. The alley: clean (most of the time). The drug dealers: busted on a beautiful Sunday morning while I watched out my back window and it's been clear since. Many of the homes in the blocks around my home have been rehabbed and the interest continues to grow in the area.

So I have seen improvement; lots of it. Is it "heaven on earth"? No. But I feel safe here, a lot safer than when I originally moved here four years ago. Would I move to another area of Baltimore if the chance arose? Nope. I have quite a happy life in the area. I walk my three dogs in the park. I ride the bike down to the waterfront and take it to Fort McHenry and back. I walk/do the metro to work. I shop in the area. I'm content.

So when I read posts about the park and it's area, especially from folks who don't live in the neighborhood; I get a bit defensive. Sorry about that.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:19 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,341,353 times
I said I've never seen crackheads there during the daytime. That article doesn't say anything about selling crack in the middle of the day.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:48 AM

The Patterson Park Flea Market is today: Saturday, May 14th 9-3 rain or shine

Old 05-15-2011, 10:03 AM

The news covered our most recent meeting on the trees/alley gating:

Group Wants To Use Trees To Build Stronger Baltimore Community « CBS Baltimore

Old 05-15-2011, 02:18 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,899,907 times
Spent a couple hours in the park today with my dog.... Just an awesome place. Went up in the pagoda for the first time.... incredible view.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:31 AM

10 posts, read 27,737 times
Would not live there if you gave me a free house. Drugs, drug dealers, crime, robberies, rapes. I tell everyone not to move to Baltimore. It is a dying city. Like Detroit.

Also would advise everyone (if they can) to move out of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore