Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 PM

49 posts, read 86,857 times

Advertisements

Any tips for a Floridian who will be experiencing her first winter in Baltimore? I know we've got a bit until it starts getting really cold, but I'm already freaking out about snow. I have a 2001 Honda Civic with FWD and all-weather tires. Will I be able to drive OK in the snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 06:38 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
At the first hint a bit of snow may fall you must drop everything and go to the nearest grocery store and buy every loaf of bread, gallon of milk and roll of toilet paper you can lay your hands on.

For now go buy a snow shovel. Then throw it away. Then when it snows go to Home depot and race down the aisles looking for anything that might look like it can move snow. Then throw that shovel away and repeat the Home Depot trip for the next storm.

Tie up the cell towers calling everyone you know to tell them that it's still snowing. Do this every few minutes.

In reality your car should be ok but slow down, drive with caution and increase your following, stopping and starting distances. It will take some practice and to get used to driving in the snow. I grew up in PA and still have to keep my head on when in the snow. I'm 57 and have been driving more than 40 years. But, also be aware that many places, including employers, close down when it snows or grant liberal leave or open later to give the plows a chance to do their jobs. MD jurisdictions as a rule do a good job at snow removal if people just stay off the road and out of their way and let the plows work.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:18 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
We get varying amounts of snow. 2009 we go several feet and last year was more moderate. Stock up on canned goods and liquids, buy salt to throw down and get a solid shovel or two to share with the neighbors. Driving in snow is a bit of an art and a fwd car doesn't give you many advantages.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:18 PM

251 posts, read 721,902 times
Don't try drive at night, you'll just get in the way of the plows. Don't count on side streets being completely cleared, but they will be passable. Do watch out for other drivers, they don't know what they are doing. Don't freak out at all, most snow storms aren't very remarkable and you should be more worried about traffic than road conditions.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:26 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
Buy a warm winter coat with a hood. When driving ease from gear to gear, and don't drive in snow deeper than the bottom of your car.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:29 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
If parked on the street.........

Old 10-26-2011, 04:23 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
If you live in the city you'll learn the fine art of reserving your dug-out space with a lawn chair.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:55 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,513 times
Snow, schmo. Driving in the snow in Baltimore still has to beat driving anywhere/anyday in Florida. Not a lot of ninety-somethings jamming the roads in MD. Either way.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:56 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
If you live in the city you'll learn the fine art of reserving your dug-out space with a lawn chair.
Ah, city life.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:44 AM

83 posts, read 447,715 times
Your car will be fine as long as your tires aren't bald. The most important thing is to get your supplies before the first forecast of snow when the stores run out of everything.

Snow shovel - These have gotten fancy in recent years. Try them out in the store and pick the one that feels like it will be most comfortable for your back. I don't like the ones with the really deep scoop because that much snow is too heavy to fling over my shoulder.

Ice scraper/Brush - Get one with a scraper on one side and a brush on the other that is long enough you can reach the middle of your car's roof. I've yet to find a telescoping one that doesn't break. Always have this in your car.

Ice melting agent - Generically called "salt" but it's probably some other chemical

Windshield washer fluid - You'll go through a lot and stores run out after snow storms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore