Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,058 times

Advertisements

I invite andrew_s to name a single D.C. ghetto.

A Dutch visitor from Aruba asked me recently to "show me where the poor people live."

I took her to Benning Road, Anacostia. Found the neighborhood being rapidly gentrified. Yes, gentrified.

Except for some Georgia Avenue and Rhode Island streets, the D.C. ghetto is gone. A spectacular example is the 14th Street corridor, where most people walking on the streets on Sundays nowadays are white. Another remarakable transition involves U Street.

This is why visting D.C. from Baltimore these days is like going to a different country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 12:41 PM

386 posts, read 655,512 times
My wife took a wrong turn in DC on 3rd street NE. Had she taken the right way she would have been in my brother in laws decent neighborhood, but instead she was in a BAD area that even worried my brother in law and he bikes through some sketchy areas.

Also we were driving through anacostia somewhere trying to find our bearings and when they saw a white family in a van a group decided to try and surround our van and chased after us. Thankfully we didnt break down.

Do things like that occur in Baltimore? Sure, but dont think that Baltimore has a monopoly on such areas and instances. To do so is ignorance at its best.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:44 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
To paraphrase Mae West: "Honey, Redheadedness had nothin' ta do with it."

Demographics are destiny.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:10 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
My wife took a wrong turn in DC on 3rd street NE. Had she taken the right way she would have been in my brother in laws decent neighborhood, but instead she was in a BAD area that even worried my brother in law and he bikes through some sketchy areas.

Also we were driving through anacostia somewhere trying to find our bearings and when they saw a white family in a van a group decided to try and surround our van and chased after us. Thankfully we didnt break down.

Do things like that occur in Baltimore? Sure, but dont think that Baltimore has a monopoly on such areas and instances. To do so is ignorance at its best.
Although DC has experienced a ton of gentrification; it still has it's "down and out" areas. And you are correct, Baltimore does not hold the cards on this unfortunate issue in our society.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:25 PM

Default No comparison, plain and simple

Drive around the worst D.C. areas you can think of and count the abandoned and boarded up houses. Then do the same in Baltimore.

After some 30 minutes in Anacostia, we counted half a dozen boarded up houses, including a whole garden apartment complex that had been mothballed and was being prepared for redevelopment.

What am I saying? That there is no comparison between D.C. and Baltimore, plain and simple.

We may argue about the reasons but there it is. And all this time we have been laughing about D.C. as the home of dysfunctional government.

Oone of the dangers of a forum like this is occasionally posters may pontificate about things on the basis of out-dated, or totally wrong, information.

Item: Taking a wrong turn near the American University on the way to the law school graduation this spring, I ended up on an NW street where someone had planted a huge, old sign on the yard. "Mayor Barry welcomes you to the District of Columbis," it proclaimed. Don't know about the rest of the story.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:41 PM

386 posts, read 655,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Although DC has experienced a ton of gentrification; it still has it's "down and out" areas. And you are correct, Baltimore does not hold the cards on this unfortunate issue in our society.
Agreed.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:51 PM

Default I'll go step further

and declare that D.C. is probably the most ghetto-free major city in today's America. The poor are being pushed out -- to PG, Montgomery (particularly if they are African immigrants or Hispanics) and various Virginia areas. This marks a reversal of the common U.S. suburban pattern to the European pattern, where the wealthy occupy the center cities and the poor are forced by economics, including long commutes, to the fringes.

Yes, one may find marginal areas along Rhode Island, Florida, Georgia and along streets intersecting with them, but there are virtually NO VACANT HOUSES. Boarded-up houses, if they exist, are not a problem but an opportunity.

Look at the transformation, over the past five years, of LeDroit Park, near Howard University. Amazing.

All this is due to three factors:

-- the money that defines the federal city;

-- a workable Metro transit system that has reinvented areas like Brentwood and the long-ignored "bad" blocks of Capital Hill;

-- the total lack of history among transients who come to D.C. every so often to chase well-paying political jobs. When they see a development of brand-new townhouses in Anacostia being advertised "from the 100s," they are likely to sign on the dotted line in the, usually well-justified, hopes that they can make plenty of money in reselling. They live in a world where the past doesn't matter, only opportunities do.

The demographic changes also are brewing political changes. It is widely speculated that D.C.'s next mayor may be white.

Last edited by barante; 08-02-2012 at 01:59 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
and declare that D.C. is probably the most ghetto-free major city in today's America. The poor are being pushed out -- to PG, Montgomery (particularly if they are African immigrants or Hispanics) and various Virginia areas. This marks a reversal of the common U.S. suburban pattern to the European pattern, where the wealthy occupy the center cities and the poor are forced by economics, including long commutes, to the fringes.

Yes, one may find marginal areas along Rhode Island, Florida, Georgia and along streets intersecting with them, but there are virtually NO VACANT HOUSES. Boarded-up houses, if they exist, are not a problem but an opportunity.

Look at the transformation, over the past five years, of LeDroit Park, near Howard University. Amazing.

All this is due to three factors:

-- the money that defines the federal city;

-- a workable Metro transit system that has reinvented areas like Brentwood and the long-ignored "bad" blocks of Capital Hill;

-- the total lack of history among transients who come to D.C. every so often to chase well-paying political jobs. When they see a development of brand-new townhouses in Anacostia being advertised "from the 100s," they are likely to sign on the dotted line in the, usually well-justified, hopes that they can make plenty of money in reselling. They live in a world where the past doesn't matter, only opportunities do.

The demographic changes also are brewing political changes. It is widely speculated that D.C.'s next mayor may be white.

No one is debating with you. Yes, there has been a ton of gentfication. Yes, there are still rough and tumble areas. To say it's the most "ghetto-free" of America's cities is a bit debatable and to be honest, not so sure how even to approach that subject. What is a ghetto I guess? Once determined, how could that possibly be measured in comparison to the rest of the nation?

Old 08-02-2012, 02:09 PM

Oops, I forgot to include my link of a web series I have been enjoying:

Anacostia Web Series - Season 3

And yes, the subject of gentrification occurs.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:13 PM

Default I wanted to be dramatic

and provocative because too many Baltimoreans have no ideas as to what has happened in D.C. A web of transportation issues has speeded up the transformation. The commuting situation keeps worsening by the day. This means that those with money want to live in, or at least consider, D.C. They are pushing the poor out, including minorities.

This has serious implications for Baltimore. Regardless of cost advantages, this city is less and less frequently a cheaper, or even realistic, alternative. In any case, real estate turbulence has largely wiped out the city's price advantage with Baltimore County, where certain SW areas have a better commute to D.C. This has happened during the past five years, adding to Baltimore's troubles and explaining its continuing population loss at a time when many other cities are gaining.

So I really get angry when stupid statements are made about Baltimore ghettos -- however they are defined -- being no different from D.C. They are based on total ignorance and denial of facts.

I have 25,000 reasons to believe I am right. Or 40,000. Depends on which number you believe about vacant/boardd up houses here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore