Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:06 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterc8294 View Post
But, shouldn't more be done to help improve the lives of the longtime residents of Baltimore City? It's great to see Hopkins invest in East Baltimore but shouldn't their investment benefit both Hopkins employees and local residents? I feel that some balance needs to be made. I find it commendable to see MICA try to expand into Station North and help revitalize North Avenue but I think that it's easier (and less publicized) than Hopkins effort to revitalize East Baltimore because their isn't as much displacement occurring.
Yes and yes. But I don't think more will be done unless people push for it. That's where those long-time residents come in. For example, if Hopkins doesn't appear to be more forthcoming with its information about the new school, the residents who want their children to attend need to at least contact Hopkins and inquire about it. Even if that means regular phone calls, or emails (use the computer at the library) or connecting with other interested parents.

Also, I suspect some institutions, like MICA, may enjoy a better relationship with their surrounding communities. As you probably know, many long-time Baltimore residents have historically mistrusted Hopkins, and I think that continues today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 11:27 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRG View Post
I feel confident saying the hospital nor any affiliate is going to uproot from the city because they lost a court case.
Didn't say that I said services and they do it all the time. They can stop delivering babies in the city if they choose for example.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:44 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
To think there is some percentage of people who think Hopkins is going to up and abandon the billions of capitol investment it has made here in the last 10 years alone is rather telling about the level of delusion affecting that same percentage of our populace.

I mean really ... take a drive anywhere around the medical campus and come back here and say "yup Hopkins is going to leave." FFS.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 PM
LRG

74 posts, read 111,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
To think there is some percentage of people who think Hopkins is going to up and abandon the billions of capitol investment it has made here in the last 10 years alone is rather telling about the level of delusion affecting that same percentage of our populace.

I mean really ... take a drive anywhere around the medical campus and come back here and say "yup Hopkins is going to leave." FFS.
thankyouthankyouthankyou!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:20 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterc8294 View Post
But, shouldn't more be done to help improve the lives of the longtime residents of Baltimore City?
More than what? What hasn't been done for and made available to them up to now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Yes and yes. But I don't think more will be done unless people push for it.
That's where those long-time residents come in.
pssst bowian? Just in case no one has pointed it out to you before now...
those "long time residents" are the main impediment to change and growth.
Not just there, but in all the areas that warrant rebuilding so that the high earning and
tax paying citizens can move in, raise the RE values and reduce the net demand for services.

hth

Old 06-25-2013, 01:08 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
pssst bowian? Just in case no one has pointed it out to you before now...
those "long time residents" are the main impediment to change and growth.
Not just there, but in all the areas that warrant rebuilding so that the high earning and
tax paying citizens can move in, raise the RE values and reduce the net demand for services.

hth
Well, where are they going? If you push and price them out, it will be the same story elsewhere. With the current housing and deeply established social services set up for them in the city, I can't see them leaving totally or going much of anywhere anytime soon. Perhaps a combination of working with them and demanding more accountability and responsibility would help.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Well, where are they going? If you push and price them out, it will be the same story elsewhere.
c'est la vie. Cross that bridge when it shows up wherever that turns out to be.

Quote:
With the current housing and deeply established social services set up for them in the city,
I can't see them leaving totally or going much of anywhere anytime soon.
ding ding. analogous link here

Cutting to the chase... the issue isn't that we have people who need. We've always had need.
The concern is how many we have. Worse though, is how many others have been allowed to join them.

As with unemployment...
the problem isn't that we don't have enough (decent pay and benefit) jobs for those who need one
but rather that we have far too many people available for the jobs that actually need doing.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:36 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post

Here goes I can't speak for the university but I know for a fact Hopkins Hospital does not view Baltimore City as an engine of growth or crucial to its existence.

Does that mean Hopkins Hospital and Bayview are going to pick up and leave? No but it does mean significant resources are being devoted to creating beach heads in the suburbs and beyond. UMMS just closed the OB services at Maryland General. If folks think Hopkins is going to operate losing businesses just because they love Baltimore I dare say you're delusional.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:40 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Here goes I can't speak for the university but I know for a fact Hopkins Hospital does not view Baltimore City as an engine of growth or crucial to its existence.

Does that mean Hopkins Hospital and Bayview are going to pick up and leave? No but it does mean significant resources are being devoted to creating beach heads in the suburbs and beyond. UMMS just closed the OB services at Maryland General. If folks think Hopkins is going to operate losing businesses just because they love Baltimore I dare say you're delusional.
This is a fact throughout the country with the medical field and hospitals. All of them are expanding and many times, their original home is urban.

The Cleveland Clinic is a great example. Their campus in the city is doing fine but they have expanded throughout the region. I think they may even have one in Florida and Canada.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:15 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If folks think Hopkins is going to operate losing businesses just because they love Baltimore I dare say you're delusional.
LOL losing business. I can see you haven't been on the east side lately.

This thread has been rather eye opening. Hilarity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore