Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:35 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Are you an undergrad at Hopkins by any chance?
I work there.

And I am typing on my iPhone, which always leads to massive amounts of typos LOL. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 10:53 AM
LRG

74 posts, read 112,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
With the way she/he spelled "prestigious", I hope not. Probably just a typo though. I do that all of the time.
We're spelling checking people now? Let me get my red pen out

Old 06-26-2013, 12:22 PM

775 posts, read 1,785,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
Some very odd sentiments on this thread so I'm compelled to post.

Let's clarify a few things.

1. Hopkins is not going to leave Baltimore. Nothing short of a nuclear attack would force Hopkins to abandon its current campuses and rebuild elsewhere. Hopkins has too much money invested in its physical fabric both at Homewood and the hospital complex and in case you hadn't noticed, Hopkins has been on a near-non-stop building boom for the twenty years, adding expensive new academic buildings and hospital wings on both campuses. Hopkins has been pouring money into Charles Village and Hopkins has also expanded into other areas of Baltimore - the university now occupies part of the old Rotunda site and the old Eastern High School complex.

2. Hopkins is absolutely stellar in certain sectors. The medical school and school of public health have a handful of peers and no other competitors. People who are offered leading roles and professorships at these schools rarely turn them down. Many of my neighbors work for Hopkins in one capacity or another and they're all delighted to be in Baltimore partly because the area's relatively low cost of living compared to DC or Boston or New York or California allows them to live a very pleasant lifestyle. Yes, inside Baltimore's city limits. Scores of Hopkins professors and administrators live in Baltimore and would be vehemently opposed to the university relocating outside the city.

3. Hopkins undergraduate has never been quite as good or prestigious as the graduate divisions, especially the science and research divisions. That's not to imply it's inferior, not at all, but the school's Germanic model meant that the focus on undergraduate education has historically been secondary to the professional and graduate schools, so Hopkins routinely lost the cream of the crop to the Ivies+Stanford+Duke. This is slowly but steadily changing and the previous and current presidents have plowed hundreds of millions in improving the undergraduate experience - in Baltimore, which includes reinvestment in Charles Village, which is another reason why Hopkins isn't moving anywhere.

4. Hopkins will never be part of the Ivy League. The Ivy League (and I say this as a double Ivy alum and parent of two Ivy alums) is an athletic conference of only eight schools. It has never invited other schools to join the Ivy league and it never will. What makes the Ivy conference stand out from the rest is that the universities do not offer athletic scholarships. Athletic students are recruited and admitted, and given financial aid based on need, but they are not offered specific athletic scholarships. Hopkins does for its lacrosse team.

As for Hopkins and Baltimore, Baltimore owes Hopkins, not the other way around. I can't imagine what Baltimore would be like without Hopkins' presence and the wealth of educated people it's brought to the region.
Never is a long time. But, in light of your assurances I suggest we close this thread. Our questions have been answered and our opinions reduced to senseless babble. Thank you, and goodnight.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:26 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRG View Post
We're spelling checking people now? Let me get my red pen out

lol---not really. Just with Hopkins students. By the way, you awkwardly phrased that statement.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:09 AM

Update: Hopkins gains the #1 spot.

Johns Hopkins reclaims U.S. News and World Report 'top hospital' ranking - baltimoresun.com

Old 07-16-2013, 09:01 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,550 times
I always love the people that saw that and thought things were slipping away yet completely oblivious if the billions of dollars in construction to improve Hopkins going on right now.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:02 AM

206 posts, read 798,007 times
Without Hopkins Baltimore would be the next Detroit. Even with Hopkins and all these new taxes the city is teetering on the brink of disaster. The city needs revenue because people are moving out, so they think new taxes will generate that missing revenue. However, it will just drive more people and businesses out of the city.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:28 AM

There is more to Baltimore than Hopkins. It ranks #16 in terms of economic growth. Detroit ranks #200. That is quite a difference.

METRO RANK

Old 07-20-2013, 09:42 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
There is more to Baltimore than Hopkins. It ranks #16 in terms of economic growth. Detroit ranks #200. That is quite a difference.

METRO RANK
Hopkins, hospitals/medical research, tourism, (some would argue) sports teams...Not to mention Baltimore's proximity to the number one ranked metro area for economic growth which insulates the area to a degree. Detroit did not have that going for it.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:25 PM

95 posts, read 171,035 times
Baltimore was just rated #2 behind San Francisco in yearly income growth according to CNN Money. This was attributed to its financial services T Rowe Price and Legg Mason. So its economy has become much more diversified and white collar (healthcare, biotech, and financial services) than Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore