Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 11:07 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkingliberal View Post
I'm really surprised that this hasn't yet been turned into a racist "This is why we can't allow THEM(!!!) into our cities" alt-right issue. If not on the national news, then at least in this forum.
Surprised or disappointed? Everything is always about race to liberals.

If this backwards state would allow concealed or open carry, these assaults would drop dramatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This was not uncommon when I lived in Baltimore, but I'm not sure it happens super frequently. I remember a few years back there was a huge mele involving teens at the inner harbor on the Fourth of July. It got a lot of publicity on the local news because of how many teens were involved. When I was living in Baltimore there were other incidents involving teens at the harbor that were reported as well. In fairness, after the July 4th incident, I heard that police stepped up patrols, and I haven't heard about any recent big problems (although I'm no longer in the area). When I lived there, I would see lots of unsupervised teens at the harbor, and they were usually loud (sometimes cursing), but I never personally witnessed any violence.

Of course, there is the infamous incident downtown (not at the harbor) where they beat a tourist and then strangly started stripping him of his clothes. Lots of the Baltimore riot videos also show lots of teens. Downtown Baltimore is very accessible to teens.
It happens frequently. Last night there was a band of 10-20 African American youths roaming federal hill assaulting and robbing random people. There were at least 3 different victims per the neighborhood facebook pages. Yes, I live in south Baltimore just south of federal hill.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:22 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Whenever I go the downtown Philadelphia I always notice a tremendous police presence. There are so many police that I kind of worry about running afoul of a policemen with nothing better to do than give someone who appears to be from out of town a hard time. I, a middle aged white man, am always on my best behavior there.

Baltimore is a totally different situation. Since there are so few police around and so may people hanging out, I don't think the few cops that might lay eyes on me are going to give me much notice. Of course, there aren't many cops around to do anything about it if something happens.

By the way, you would think there would be 100% real time camera coverage of the Inner Harbor.
There was a much larger police presence once upon a time. People complained.

There were times over 25 years ago on places like Baltimore ST. I couldn't tell the difference between the police, and the hoods.

Guys I have been going down there forever and never had this much of a problem.

The Galleria is a real problem down there.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:25 PM

8,235 posts, read 13,353,185 times
When I got into Camden Yards last night on MARC... I was greeted with the "next train" sign for the light rail reading 25 minutes. I started to hike up Howard Street and ended up wandering over to the Hotel Monaco where I decided to have a drink before continuing my trek up to Penn Station. The CBD at night is interesting to say the least...the street was populated with a variety of characters most of which either loitered on corners around bus stops (but not actually getting on) or simply hanging out on a vacant wind swept Baltimore Street either rapping to themselves or spouting off offerings like "loose ones" and "tube sox" and "Tide"... this was around 7:30pm when many folks would be walking back to their hotel from dinner or being out at the Harbor.. Occasionally, I felt I was being 'sized up' either to be approached for whatever reason or for fear that I was a potential aggressor. I never felt threatened per se.. but I have lived here long enough to appreciate and to be wary of the nuances of our fair city to take calculated risk.

At the Bar there was a couple from out of town talking to the Hotel Staff about places to go near the hotel. All the places they referenced contained the disclaimer.. Its only six blocks BUT you may want to get an Uber or a Cab.. its up in Mt. Vernon.>..BUT you may want to go there at X time and leave by Y if you are walking..

Its sad that in such a well designed and architecturally attractive city as Baltimore is.. that we have become a city of caveats, asterisks, and disclaimers for the unknown...but events like this at the Harbor in broad daylight underscore the issue.. real or perceived ;(

Old 11-01-2017, 01:25 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
It happens frequently. Last night there was a band of 10-20 African American youths roaming federal hill assaulting and robbing random people. There were at least 3 different victims per the neighborhood facebook pages. Yes, I live in south Baltimore just south of federal hill.
It's sad to hear that. I remember, probably about 8-9 years ago when I was living in Baltimore. Ironically, it was the night before the marathon (which is when this current incident happened); I had friends visiting Baltimore for the first time, from Atlanta to run the marathon. We were walking back to their hotel at night, and right off of Pratt street, we hear this loud commotion on the other side of the street and see about 5 teens running off. On the other side of the street another teen (who they jumped) was laying on the ground beat up and bloodied. We were able to get him help, but needless to say, that soured my friends' first impression of Baltimore. Like I said, Baltimore is the one major city where violence and danger isn't just isolated to bad neighborhoods. You can feel unsafe right downtown or in popular neighborhoods, like Federal hill.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:33 PM

8,235 posts, read 13,353,185 times
On a lighter note.. In Hampden Halloween Night.. there were gobs of kids and teens of various backgrounds walking down the Ave trick or treating at local businesses and along neighborhood streets.. Many of the kids I saw were getting off of the bus so they were likely coming from other areas to Hamden to enjoy the festivities. I have not read of any incidents occurring in Hampden on Halloween.. though they certainly occur in many neighborhoods throughout the Country...So I am optimistic that the vast majority of teens in Baltimore are not the problem. Meanwhile I understand that there are citizen patrols in Towson during Halloween because of "mischief".. I guess there is more Tricks than Treats going on over there..

Old 11-01-2017, 01:41 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
When I got into Camden Yards last night on MARC... I was greeted with the "next train" sign for the light rail reading 25 minutes. I started to hike up Howard Street and ended up wandering over to the Hotel Monaco where I decided to have a drink before continuing my trek up to Penn Station. The CBD at night is interesting to say the least...the street was populated with a variety of characters most of which either loitered on corners around bus stops (but not actually getting on) or simply hanging out on a vacant wind swept Baltimore Street either rapping to themselves or spouting off offerings like "loose ones" and "tube sox" and "Tide"... this was around 7:30pm when many folks would be walking back to their hotel from dinner or being out at the Harbor.. Occasionally, I felt I was being 'sized up' either to be approached for whatever reason or for fear that I was a potential aggressor. I never felt threatened per se.. but I have lived here long enough to appreciate and to be wary of the nuances of our fair city to take calculated risk.

At the Bar there was a couple from out of town talking to the Hotel Staff about places to go near the hotel. All the places they referenced contained the disclaimer.. Its only six blocks BUT you may want to get an Uber or a Cab.. its up in Mt. Vernon.>..BUT you may want to go there at X time and leave by Y if you are walking..

Its sad that in such a well designed and architecturally attractive city as Baltimore is.. that we have become a city of caveats, asterisks, and disclaimers for the unknown...but events like this at the Harbor in broad daylight underscore the issue.. real or perceived ;(
I spent a week in the Hotel Monaco this year. Beautiful boutique hotel. I had a room facing the large bus stop in front of the building under construction across the street from the hotel. Every night I heard very loud voices coming from the street. Not sure why they had to talk so loud. But at any rate, I stepped out every evening to grab a bite to eat in town and never really felt unsafe. You just have to be aware of your surroundings.

I walked all over from the Inner Harbor to 110 blocks north at all times of the day and never once had an incident or felt threatened. Maybe it is different in the summertime? I stayed in January.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:56 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,932 times
There a lot of mental health issues that are NOT being addressed with these kids. Exposure to lead based paint over time, lead in the drinking fountains at schools, sometimes brings the violence, with no jobs, drugs, despair, this is all connected.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:08 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
There a lot of mental health issues that are NOT being addressed with these kids. Exposure to lead based paint over time, lead in the drinking fountains at schools, sometimes brings the violence, with no jobs, drugs, despair, this is all connected.
I was going to say this. And the Governments unwillingness to address mental health issues. And some of these people are dangerously violent.

People want to not be associated with the city and that is a big problem for the state.

I wonder how many other states let this happen? And it's citizens feel this way. Don't know.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:29 PM

Here's a link to an article about the mayhem in federal hill last night. Keep in mind, this is supposed to be a nice neighborhood.

Teenagers with bats, boards attacked people in Federal Hill, police say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore