Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:22 AM

16 posts, read 36,881 times

Advertisements

I've read through some, but not all of the recent threads on here and I understand the mixed feelings of downtown Baltimore. I was just there Sun/Mon/Tues and walked about 10 miles a day checking out the different neighborhoods. I may be taking a job thats located at the Tide Point (Locust Hill) office complex next to the Domino's refinery. I spent a fair amount of time on foot trying to get a feel for the neighborhoods. I don't know exactly how much the job is paying yet (lovely mind games with HR..."How much do you think you need to make" kind of questions) but it didn't stop me from looking at a few places. Sure the Federal Hill and Locust Point areas would be supreme but being realistic and an entry level position, I don't think I can afford anything in that area. It seems they are all $1000+ for a 1-2 bedroom. I'm fine with a 1 bedroom or even a decent studio, Its just going to be me, my car and my bike. From my research it seems the Mt. Vernon area gets you the most bang for your buck (decent square footage for the price) where as other areas such as Fells Point, gets you about 1/2 the square footage. Don't get me wrong, square footage isn't everything but I'd like to live in something larger than a 200sq ft studio for $700+.

With that being said, can anyone comment on the 1200 block (+ surrounding area) of North Calvert in Mt. Vernon? So far this seems to be the apartments I liked the best for the price. I really really liked the Fells Point/Canton area as well but so far (at least while I was in town) I wasn't able to find anything that to visit that looked to be in my price range (700-800). Plus I was concerned about the commute trying to get from one side of the harbor to the other (versus the straight shot south from Mt. Vernon).

Just a little bit about me...I just graduated from art school in Detroit. I've seen a lot of **** in Detroit and understand having "street sense" and doing what you can to keep yourself safe. The "cultural" designation with all the museums and such also interests me about the Mt. Vernon area.

I took the light rail from BWI to the Convention Center stop and walked the rest of the way to my hotel. I also took the light rail from Convention Center stop to the Cultural Center stop and walked to the Mt. Vernon apartments I looked at. The owner of the building mentioned people taking bikes onto the Light Rail...is this legal and OK to do? Ideally it would be nice to take public transportation when possible, and in foul weather cut some time off being outside by hoping on the light rail for as much of the trip as possible But I know the light rail stop like Camden or Hamburg is still quite a ways west from Locust Point.

Sorry for the ramblings...any input is appreaciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:44 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,603,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc8210 View Post
I've read through some, but not all of the recent threads on here and I understand the mixed feelings of downtown Baltimore. I was just there Sun/Mon/Tues and walked about 10 miles a day checking out the different neighborhoods. I may be taking a job thats located at the Tide Point (Locust Hill) office complex next to the Domino's refinery. I spent a fair amount of time on foot trying to get a feel for the neighborhoods. I don't know exactly how much the job is paying yet (lovely mind games with HR..."How much do you think you need to make" kind of questions) but it didn't stop me from looking at a few places. Sure the Federal Hill and Locust Point areas would be supreme but being realistic and an entry level position, I don't think I can afford anything in that area. It seems they are all $1000+ for a 1-2 bedroom. I'm fine with a 1 bedroom or even a decent studio, Its just going to be me, my car and my bike. From my research it seems the Mt. Vernon area gets you the most bang for your buck (decent square footage for the price) where as other areas such as Fells Point, gets you about 1/2 the square footage. Don't get me wrong, square footage isn't everything but I'd like to live in something larger than a 200sq ft studio for $700+.

With that being said, can anyone comment on the 1200 block (+ surrounding area) of North Calvert in Mt. Vernon? So far this seems to be the apartments I liked the best for the price. I really really liked the Fells Point/Canton area as well but so far (at least while I was in town) I wasn't able to find anything that to visit that looked to be in my price range (700-800). Plus I was concerned about the commute trying to get from one side of the harbor to the other (versus the straight shot south from Mt. Vernon).

Just a little bit about me...I just graduated from art school in Detroit. I've seen a lot of **** in Detroit and understand having "street sense" and doing what you can to keep yourself safe. The "cultural" designation with all the museums and such also interests me about the Mt. Vernon area.

I took the light rail from BWI to the Convention Center stop and walked the rest of the way to my hotel. I also took the light rail from Convention Center stop to the Cultural Center stop and walked to the Mt. Vernon apartments I looked at. The owner of the building mentioned people taking bikes onto the Light Rail...is this legal and OK to do? Ideally it would be nice to take public transportation when possible, and in foul weather cut some time off being outside by hoping on the light rail for as much of the trip as possible But I know the light rail stop like Camden or Hamburg is still quite a ways west from Locust Point.

Sorry for the ramblings...any input is appreaciated!
You will notice that most of the negativity comes from a few posters spewing constant mantras about how horrible the city is. With that said, you will find Baltimore to be quite an enjoyable town. I was also orignally from Detroit (Did you attend CCS by Wayne?), and have two friends living here who went there.
Calvert Street is fine. That block is part of Mt. Vernon, a very exciting and historic part of the city.
Yes, bikes can be taken on the light rail but check the MTA site for times. I don't think they are allowed during rush hour but I have seen folks with them during non-peek hours. If you chose Fells Point/Canton/Patterson Park, you also have the option of the water taxi to get to Federal Hill and Tide Point.
A sidenote: Baltimore also has a great art school (MICA) in the Bolton Hill area. You may want to check there for listings as many who attend live in that immediate area.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
You will notice that most of the negativity comes from a few posters spewing constant mantras about how horrible the city is. With that said, you will find Baltimore to be quite an enjoyable town. I was also orignally from Detroit (Did you attend CCS by Wayne?), and have two friends living here who went there.
Calvert Street is fine. That block is part of Mt. Vernon, a very exciting and historic part of the city.
Yes, bikes can be taken on the light rail but check the MTA site for times. I don't think they are allowed during rush hour but I have seen folks with them during non-peek hours. If you chose Fells Point/Canton/Patterson Park, you also have the option of the water taxi to get to Federal Hill and Tide Point.
A sidenote: Baltimore also has a great art school (MICA) in the Bolton Hill area. You may want to check there for listings as many who attend live in that immediate area.
Wow...awesome, another Detroit Transplant! As a matter of fact, I just graduated from CCS I'm aware that most negative comments come from sometimes the less informed. A lot of people in the burbs of Detroit talk plenty of sh*t about the city but they also don't spend any time down there to experience the good things and something other than news about Kwame Kilpatrick the Hip Hop Mayor.

Where abouts do you live? I'm aware of the water taxi but in the winter/off season that probably still leaves me with a wretched commute by car doesn't it? I mean, right now I'm driving 35 miles one way to work so its not that I'm not USED to commuting by car but I'd like to take advantage of living only a few miles from work. I noticed that some buses also have bike racks on the front so I know that is an option (during normal hours and not late).

Also, not that I scoured the whole Mt. Vernon area but while I was there I didn't really see a grocery store/market. Just smaller party stores. Any idea how far a decent grocery story/market with fresh veggies/fruits is from that 1200 block of N. Calvert?

Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Wow...awesome, another Detroit Transplant! As a matter of fact, I just graduated from CCS I'm aware that most negative comments come from sometimes the less informed. A lot of people in the burbs of Detroit talk plenty of sh*t about the city but they also don't spend any time down there to experience the good things and something other than news about Kwame Kilpatrick the Hip Hop Mayor.

Where abouts do you live? I'm aware of the water taxi but in the winter/off season that probably still leaves me with a wretched commute by car doesn't it? I mean, right now I'm driving 35 miles one way to work so its not that I'm not USED to commuting by car but I'd like to take advantage of living only a few miles from work. I noticed that some buses also have bike racks on the front so I know that is an option (during normal hours and not late).

Also, not that I scoured the whole Mt. Vernon area but while I was there I didn't really see a grocery store/market. Just smaller party stores. Any idea how far a decent grocery story/market with fresh veggies/fruits is from that 1200 block of N. Calvert?

Grocery Stores for Mt. Vernon:
Eddies on Eager at Charles not far from that block of Calvert at all. There is a SuperFresh on Charles around the 200 block downtown. There is also a Safeway at 25th and Charles. And, the Lexington Market has tons of stuff downtown. Like Detroit's Eastern Market but open 6 days a week. Also, on Sundays, there is a Farmers Market under the freeway near you (walkable). A bit further but still walkable/bikable is Whole Foods in Inner Harbor East.
You will find quite a few former Detroiters here. One who was on the board quite a lot just recently moved here into the Canton neighborhood. I guess there are a lot of Detroiters everywhere these days with that economy over there.
Baltimore's naysayers are basically the same. They usually don't live in the city and harp about the old days. Or, many of them don't like seeing the shift in power.
Commute: The buses going downtown from where you are going to live are perfectly fine. I think to Tide Point, you will want the bus going up Fort Street into Locust Point. No problem with that one either.
I live the the Patterson Park neighborhood. It is in southeast Baltimore north of Canton. You may be able to find something around here but it is also getting expensive. Try: :: Patterson Park Community Development Corporation - PPCDC :: > Home
They may have something that fits. Also craigslist is a good source.

In terms of getting to work, I would do the bike. It is a nice ride mostly along the water. And, Tide Point has that huge area for bikes.
Welcome to Bmore. If you have any questions, don't hesitate!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:32 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,811,919 times
Default Mount Vernon rocks

The whole new energy picture will further advance Mount Vernon, which has been improving greatly in recent years. I think that is one of the best areas for an urban dweller, who wants to be in the center of action. It's not for everyone, but if you are young and single, it's difficult to beat. Lots of transit, restaurants and cultural amenities.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 AM

I don't have the job yet but thanks! Maybe we can have a mini gathering of Detroiters some time if I make it down there!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
The whole new energy picture will further advance Mount Vernon, which has been improving greatly in recent years. I think that is one of the best areas for an urban dweller, who wants to be in the center of action. It's not for everyone, but if you are young and single, it's difficult to beat. Lots of transit, restaurants and cultural amenities.
"New Energy"? As in younger people moving in or is this some kind of other movement or proposal or something?

Old 06-25-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I don't have the job yet but thanks! Maybe we can have a mini gathering of Detroiters some time if I make it down there!

There is a DC/Baltimore chapter of former Wayne State/Univ. of Mich grads that meet about once a month. When you are out and about, you will meet them. My company alone has two new transplants from the Detroit area and one from Kalamazoo. (All new within the past year).

Old 06-25-2008, 09:50 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,811,919 times
Default Energy as in propellant

I referred to my belief that in the future people will want to live closer to where they work or play. They will also appreciate access to public transit in a new way.
But there is all kinds of other energy in Mount Vernon as well.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 AM

485 posts, read 1,953,890 times
Mt. Vernon always was a decent place to live-even at it's worst.

The beauty is there, it just got covered up for a while.

As for a transfer of power-it cannot but be for the better!

I still don't see people flocking back to the city, remember, they came, they saw, they left again.

City life is not for everyone, not even for most people-and the commuter pattern has reached it's limit, anyway.

Efficient power sources will come, because they must come.

And dammit, Baltimore, with all it's many faults, is a better place now, as a less crowded, more leisurely city, than it was in the crazy making days of the '60's and '70's.

Remember, I still love Baltimore-but it's tough love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore