Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Attending a Maine Meet in Bangor, Maine
I'm interested. Near the End of August would be better 6 18.18%
I'm interested. The Beginning of September would be better. 19 57.58%
I need a different month to attend. 7 21.21%
I'm not really interested. 3 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:45 AM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Basically, I think we're looking for a place to meet with chairs, something to drink, cool so we aren't over heating as well if it's humid, space enough for us to feel comfortable, and if the food is good~ a bonus.
Hmm;
Room for parking - check
Indoors - check
Room for people to gather and be seated with 40 chairs - check
Drinkage - check
Cool - check

I have a 300 foot driveway that is 40 foot wide, which can fit parked vehicles on either side.

A single room of 2400 sq ft. Enough room for a small intimate meeting of up to 100 people. I would need to clean up a bit, but such is life.

We don't have so many chairs though, but folks could bring folding chairs.

We have two refrigerators that could be pre-stocked with sweet tea, wine and sodas. I always have rum and whiskey.

We have a HUGE dinner table, that could hold a lot of food.

I could host a potluck.

I could cook up some 'Pollo Arranchetto' [ a recipe that we picked up living in Italy. Roasted Chicken marinated in brandy and orange juice with peppermint] Mmm, good.

We could light a wood fire in our BBQ pit; in case anyone wanted to bring something to be BBQ'ed.

An outdoor bon fire; for smores.

Cool temps? Well we have two big ceiling fans.

I will be busy for the next four weekends [a seminary course being held in Portland, Friday / Saturday / Sunday for the next four weeks], and then I need to travel to California for a few days as my mother goes in for surgery. By the fourth week of August my calendar is finally empty again, until the MOFGA fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 10:57 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
Is it GOOD whiskey (like bourbon or Irish), or is it that nasty Scotch?

Old 07-18-2008, 10:58 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,339,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckmen View Post
How about a smaller gathering before the end of July?
Well I'll be in Bangor on Tuesday to go to the denist. I'll probably be all "numbed up" so I'll be nodding alot. hehe

We also have to "agree on a day of the week too", for the meets.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Is it GOOD whiskey (like bourbon or Irish), or is it that nasty Scotch?
I am not sure if I should offer you any whiskey, perhaps you would prefer some sweet tea.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:09 AM

Fiddleheads!

I must have 60 pounds of fiddleheads frozen in vaccum packed bags.

We could try different recipes for fiddleheads and have a taste test!

Old 07-18-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Hmm;
Room for parking - check
Indoors - check
Room for people to gather and be seated with 40 chairs - check
Drinkage - check
Cool - check

I have a 300 foot driveway that is 40 foot wide, which can fit parked vehicles on either side.

A single room of 2400 sq ft. Enough room for a small intimate meeting of up to 100 people. I would need to clean up a bit, but such is life.

We don't have so many chairs though, but folks could bring folding chairs.

We have two refrigerators that could be pre-stocked with sweet tea, wine and sodas. I always have rum and whiskey.

We have a HUGE dinner table, that could hold a lot of food.

I could host a potluck.

I could cook up some 'Pollo Arranchetto' [ a recipe that we picked up living in Italy. Roasted Chicken marinated in brandy and orange juice with peppermint] Mmm, good.

We could light a wood fire in our BBQ pit; in case anyone wanted to bring something to be BBQ'ed.

An outdoor bon fire; for smores.

Cool temps? Well we have two big ceiling fans.

I will be busy for the next four weekends [a seminary course being held in Portland, Friday / Saturday / Sunday for the next four weeks], and then I need to travel to California for a few days as my mother goes in for surgery. By the fourth week of August my calendar is finally empty again, until the MOFGA fair.
i think it's a very nice idea, I only see that some may feel that meeting for the first time, may actually shy away from going to someones home to meet for the first time.
A public meeting gives security for some who meet other's on the net.

Once people know others ( like for me... I know Maine Writer and Mollysmiles so well now , I might go sleep over at their house and maybe use their tooth brush too) LOL.

I sure hope we can agree on a meeting place.
What I see right now for public places is Jade and SeaDog.
Send DMs if you like on Jade or Seadog being okay and I'll reply a total count for voting. Then all we have to do at this point is figure out a day of the week and if we can make arrangements with work, or simply life to come.

I know I speak for alot of folks when I say, "I hope we can meet."
peachie~

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 07-18-2008 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: fixed typing because my youngest was talking to me .. hehe.. like chewing bubble gum and walking.. I guess I couldn't do it.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:59 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,110,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You should simulcast it to Southern Maine ....to save gas of course.
Seconded!

Old 07-18-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I don't think the Volvo could make it all the way to Bangor! You should simulcast it to Southern Maine ....to save gas of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
You should be ashamed of yourself for maligning the poor Volvo that way! The only one I have known personally wouldn't quit for anything... far as I know it's still running around somewhere on the western slope of Colorado.

Besides I am not sure what side of that bloody imaginary line Bangor is supposed to be on, anyway. (or does it shift, like the tides?)

I'll be glad to bring my laptop and cam, but I am not sure if we will be able to get reliable wireless broadband up here in the boonies of Bangor (unless we meet at the library, that is...) LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Seconded!
I think those who live in the southern part can plan a meet. I just thought with us over this way, by driving a 100 miles or more to get to Bangor was pretty good haul to get closer to those of you we can't see so often.

How many miles is it to Bangor from Southern Maine again?

Old 07-18-2008, 05:48 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I think those who live in the southern part can plan a meet. I just thought with us over this way, by driving a 100 miles or more to get to Bangor was pretty good haul to get closer to those of you we can't see so often.

How many miles is it to Bangor from Southern Maine again?
Depends on "where" in "southern Maine" you start from.

If you start from Augusta (Exit 110), it's about 65 miles. If you start from Portland (Exit 48) it's about 140 miles. If you start from Kittery (Exit 2) It's a tad over 180 miles. Of course, that's only straight up the Pike, recalculate if you're coming from south AND west.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Depends on "where" in "southern Maine" you start from.

If you start from Augusta (Exit 110), it's about 65 miles. If you start from Portland (Exit 48) it's about 140 miles. If you start from Kittery (Exit 2) It's a tad over 180 miles. Of course, that's only straight up the Pike, recalculate if you're coming from south AND west.
I see. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area