Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 04:39 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,420,131 times

Advertisements

We still can't buy hard alcohol in the grocery stores here. We can only get mixers, beer & wine. Still have to go "up the road" for the good stuff. I'm SO craving a White Russian right now!

But I do think I'll miss our huge WM supercenter a bit. That's my idea of one stop shopping. They even do price matching, so I rarely do the "run-a-round" to all the stores picking up sale items anymore.

And on topic.........is there a Hannafords with sushi in our destination area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 06:01 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scentifolia View Post
I'm glad to hear there are Japanese restaurants in Bangor. We just discovered Sakura on western Ave in Augusta, and that is very good. Surprising also, our Hannaford's in Belfast has a good sushi bar.
I haven't tried their sushi, but I do agree it's a great grocery store.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:27 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
We still can't buy hard alcohol in the grocery stores here. We can only get mixers, beer & wine. Still have to go "up the road" for the good stuff. I'm SO craving a White Russian right now! ........is there a Hannafords with sushi in our destination area?
Our closest Hannafords does not carry my favourite drink [Everclear]. They do carry rum, but I travel into Bangor to get most of my booze.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:37 PM

467 posts, read 1,124,851 times
For anyone craving authentic Thai food, there is Bangkok in Ellsworth that just moved into their new location on Route 1 and has added a sushi bar. Right now my absolute favorite place to dine in this area

Old 11-11-2008, 07:54 PM

That's worth taking a ride to try! Do they serve lunch too?

Old 11-11-2008, 08:22 PM

467 posts, read 1,124,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
That's worth taking a ride to try! Do they serve lunch too?
Definitely worth taking a ride--but are you coming from the Cape?? LOL They really are THAT good and yes they open at 11:00 a.m. for lunch. Here's a link to article about their new location: The Ellsworth American - Bangkok Restaurant To Reopen Friday At New Rte. 1 Location (http://ellsworthmaine.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16757&It emid=135 - broken link)

Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 PM

haha!!! I meant when I'm up at my camper from May through October. rofl

Old 06-24-2009, 09:25 AM

16 posts, read 36,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
There is a Thai Restaurant right in downtown Bangor where the original Bagle Shop was located for many years. I haven't been but it seems to have a loyal following.

I ate there last week and it was pretty good, almost as good as the ones we get in NYC. We had the carrot & cucumber salad in Thai dressing, scallop with peppers in some brown sauce and Panang curry beef. Of the three, the Panang curry was probably the least authentic.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:29 AM

16 posts, read 36,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Does Maine have any Korean food places? I love Korean food.

I don't think there is a Korean restaurant in Bangor. But I do love Korean food. I try to eat it once a week here.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:44 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbound View Post
My Wife got sick after a visit to this place! - I however had no problems, been known to eat anything that stands still long enough for me to catch it though!

RE: OJ's I did too, but that was many years ago. I went recently, and the food was good (and I didn't get sick that time) but I like the House of Hunan in Brewer. It seems to have better flavor IMHO. I believe they used to also operate the China Wall on Stillwater Avenue, but I found that they were closed the last time I went. That was a favorite of the DD and I.

Last edited by cebdark; 06-24-2009 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area