Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:18 AM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,526 times

Advertisements

Just like anybody else, two people don't always see the same thing the same way. I've also learned that two people don't always have the same set of facts regarding a particular situation. It makes for a different perspective more often than not. We recently had a city admin who was fired unexpectedly. I couldn't understand why. But after talking to her, several members of the city council, the city atty., the list goes on, I got a much better picture. Seems that she was telling everybody a different version of the same stories. It explained why my editor was always questioning details in my work. He was checking them with her and she was giving him a different angle, just like everybody else.
That said, once again, American girl is right. No matter what your business is, you need to know if somebody is out there screwing around and doing things that make your business look bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:41 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
It is common for two people to witness an event and for them to remember completely different things.

At a recent meeting that I attended at the VFW, when the Secretary read the minutes form the past meeting, nobody remembered attending such a meeting. He has a tape recorder going to record each meeting. and yet what he described happening was completely different from everyone else' memory.

It caused an uproar.

It happens.

Maybe it is the water in Maine?

Old 02-21-2009, 09:05 PM

467 posts, read 1,124,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
It is common for two people to witness an event and for them to remember completely different things.

At a recent meeting that I attended at the VFW, when the Secretary read the minutes form the past meeting, nobody remembered attending such a meeting. He has a tape recorder going to record each meeting. and yet what he described happening was completely different from everyone else' memory.

It caused an uproar.

It happens.

Maybe it is the water in Maine?
Maybe his recording picked up some EVPs (Electronic Voice Phenomenon)

Old 02-22-2009, 08:00 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,129 times
lol! That's GOT to be the explanation for what happens here! excluding the Calais Advertiser, we really can't trust what's being reported as "fact". It's too bad... I linked El to an article the other day, but had to warn her and suggest she call city hall to make sure things were as was reported. It's disgusting.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:21 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,155 times
If Ihad to depend on the local TV news for what learn I would go nuts. So many of them talk so fast and convoluted that you just don't know what they are saying. I hate to say this, but locally, especially the women. The Portland stations are a bit better. And as for the "weather" reporting. Every sprinkle or snow shower is an "event" that may turn into a disaster. I am totally disgusted with the inaccurate weather HYPE. I remember one day in the winter of 07/08 when schools were cancelled because of the reports and not "1" flake of snow fell. It was hilarious.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:33 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,874 times
I was just thinking how our newspapers are run on the same business model as the national enquire.....print was sells.....the more we sell the higher our advertising revenue....just something to think about.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:24 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I was just thinking how our newspapers are run on the same business model as the national enquire.....print was sells.....the more we sell the higher our advertising revenue....just something to think about.
Absolutely agree with that one. I think technology is making them even more desperate since newsprint in general is going away in favor of electronic sources.

We reap what we sow........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area