Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:11 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
"There but for the grace of God go I." You're right Ranger. Thanks for pointing that out.
no prob i do what i can.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:51 PM

113 posts, read 342,047 times
Default Kind AND Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
i knew a guy who was what some would call a bum or begger.
but he wasnt allways that way.he had a great job nice wife and a son.
when his son died he fell apart and lost it all.
wasnt his fault ,he just couldnt deal with what was going on in his head.
i still see his wife every now and then but he has past allso his jurney is over.
befor i met him ''bums'' use to bother me but seeing some one go from riches to rags
gave me a whole new out look.
you should look beyond the clothes and see the person you may find out some thing about your self.
if you dont want to give them money then dont.but dont look down at them becouse at one time they may have had more then you.
you could be there some day you never know.
There are ways to give, handing out a buck for me is not one of them. I would give a can of something to eat but not cash. We have shelters, food pantries and we hire social workers who have the job of helping those in need. We as a society should see to it they have the means to do their work.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:55 PM

228 posts, read 474,467 times
If I see someone outside of a gas station, or even a fast food place...I make a point to run back in and get them a bite of food and something to drink. We do have a few people who sit on the ramps of the interstate asking for money....it wouldn't be that bad.....but they have been hanging out there for over six months now.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:20 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,606,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I have lived in Maine ever since I came home from Vietnam. I have seen some scruffy looking individuals around some homeless shelters, but I have never been approached by a panhandler or seen anyone approached. Maybe they just don't see me as approachable.
They probably know you'd be the sort to ask them for their walking permit. Or do you just do that to hikers?

Old 09-16-2009, 12:33 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,376,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1971 View Post
I recently moved to Bangor - got a beautiful apartment right downtown. Here's a question I'm hoping someone can help me with:

What's the story with all the panhandlers and beggars in downtown Bangor.

Has this always been a problem in Bangor?
It was not a problem when I lived outside of Bangor so apparently is related to the economic problems we have had in more recent years.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:23 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
i knew a guy who was what some would call a bum or begger.
but he wasnt allways that way.he had a great job nice wife and a son.
when his son died he fell apart and lost it all.
wasnt his fault ,he just couldnt deal with what was going on in his head.
i still see his wife every now and then but he has past allso his jurney is over.
befor i met him ''bums'' use to bother me but seeing some one go from riches to rags
gave me a whole new out look.
you should look beyond the clothes and see the person you may find out some thing about your self.
if you dont want to give them money then dont.but dont look down at them becouse at one time they may have had more then you.
you could be there some day you never know.

My thoughts exactly Ranger.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:32 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,931 times
I agree that panhandling can be happening for lots of reasons....in the 70's there were "spare changers" (teenagers) hanging out not far from the bus station near Freese's. Maybe they made it a career. ...None of us should think that it could never happen to us. Sure, there are folks who panhandle and then jump in an expensive car, but that is not always the case.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:46 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1971 View Post
I recently moved to Bangor - got a beautiful apartment right downtown. Here's a question I'm hoping someone can help me with:What's the story with all the panhandlers and beggars in downtown Bangor.
I lived in downtown Philadelphia for several years - and I'm not exaggerating at all when I say I've been approached for change or cigarettes more times in the three months I've lived in downtown Bangor than the whole time I lived in Philadelphia. Every time I step outside to have a smoke - or walk down to the corner pub - or walk from the parking garage to my apartment - without fail - someone will approach me for something. And - every one of these people appear to have all their mental faculties together and look very physically capable of working.
What's up with that?Bangor has a beautiful little downtown area - but you can't even enjoy it because the minute you step outside (no exaggeration there either) you have somebody asking for change and stuff.
Has this always been a problem in Bangor?
Wow, I am so surprised to hear that Bangor has this issue. I have been in Bangor maybe a dozen times over the years as I took care of my elderly Aunt who lived there plus I lived further North in Maine so I shopped in Bangor frequently. I don't recall seeing anyone on the street begging so either I was in a different part of Bangor or times have changed drastically.

I live now in a bigger city in CT with approx. 65,000 people and do sometimes see people begging but not on the scale you say Bangor has. I guess times are tough everywhere but I do have an issue understanding why in a city like Bangor these people who beg cannot find work at even a fast food restaurant? Sometimes when times are as bad as now you have to find work that perhaps you normally wouldn't do.

I wouldn't give these begging people anything when they approach you and merely tell them that you work hard for what you earn and they should do the same. Also, be careful. Sometimes these same peope who are out on the street begging have jobs and this could just be a scam. It happened to one of my friends who came down here to visit from maine. She saw a guy with a sign who was begging for money for food from his van. She gave him a $10.00 bill and a week later, he was in our local paper getting arrested for fraud, he worked, owned a home, his wife worked and he was out scamming folks. My friend felt like a dumbell....she could not have known.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:32 AM

228 posts, read 474,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post

Sometimes these same peope who are out on the street begging have jobs and this could just be a scam. It happened to one of my friends who came down here to visit from maine. She saw a guy with a sign who was begging for money for food from his van. She gave him a $10.00 bill and a week later, he was in our local paper getting arrested for fraud, he worked, owned a home, his wife worked and he was out scamming folks. My friend felt like a dumbell....she could not have known.

A guy my dad worked with years ago use to sit on various corners and beg for cash. My dad saw him over the weekend and when they returned to work on Monday, he asked him about it. The guy told my dad that he makes more money sitting on the corner for 2 days than what he does working 40+ hours a week. And they were both at the ship yard...one of the best employers here at the time. This guy is the reason I don't give cash out. I hate to judge everyone because of one person...but knowing how hard everyone works for their money and then one or two guys take advantage like this guy....kind of makes it hard to not judge. So just buy them a burger and a drink...that way they either eat it because they are starving or they get mad because you didn't give them cash!

Old 09-22-2009, 06:32 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Wow, I am so surprised to hear that Bangor has this issue. I have been in Bangor maybe a dozen times over the years as I took care of my elderly Aunt who lived there plus I lived further North in Maine so I shopped in Bangor frequently. I don't recall seeing anyone on the street begging so either I was in a different part of Bangor or times have changed drastically.

I live now in a bigger city in CT with approx. 65,000 people and do sometimes see people begging but not on the scale you say Bangor has. I guess times are tough everywhere but I do have an issue understanding why in a city like Bangor these people who beg cannot find work at even a fast food restaurant? Sometimes when times are as bad as now you have to find work that perhaps you normally wouldn't do.

I wouldn't give these begging people anything when they approach you and merely tell them that you work hard for what you earn and they should do the same. Also, be careful. Sometimes these same peope who are out on the street begging have jobs and this could just be a scam. It happened to one of my friends who came down here to visit from maine. She saw a guy with a sign who was begging for money for food from his van. She gave him a $10.00 bill and a week later, he was in our local paper getting arrested for fraud, he worked, owned a home, his wife worked and he was out scamming folks. My friend felt like a dumbell....she could not have known.
Downsizing the mental institution hasn't helped over the years. There are outreach programs, but IMHO, between substance abuse issues, mental health issues, and those who refuse help at all, it's a daunting task.

Giving food to those asking for money to buy it is the route I take. When I lived in Bangor, I got to know which ones were needy and which ones were greedy. More recently, I was outside with a co-worker who was having a cigarette. A truck pulled up, and a kid around 20-ish tried to bum a cigarette off her. She smiled sweetly and said, "Nope, sorry honey, but I have to work to pay for mine - I suggest you do the same." He high-tailed it. It kind of set us all back for a moment to think that he wouldn't be the slightest bit embarrassed to ask such a foolish question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area