Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:32 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,664,202 times

Advertisements

When I brewed beer for Gritty Mc Duff's just off Exchange in Portland I started at 4:00 AM every morning. Several times a week I had to chase someone away from the place as soon as I turned the lights on. These guys were CREEPY. Selling watches, flags, anything you could name. I called the cops on the ones that would not leave. They lugged a number of them off in cuffs.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:54 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I have lived in Maine ever since I came home from Vietnam. ..... Maybe they just don't see me as approachable.
Probably. It is very likely that they figure you might not be approachable because of the k-bar and AK-47 you carry with you.

Survey says that's a real turnoff.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:27 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
I thought NMLM was very approachable when I first saw him.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:32 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,724,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
With the economy shedding 600,000 jobs per month lately, it's not a wonder more people are asking for a hand-up. You would be better suited to pray for those less able, than to criticize them.

Unbelievable response....Wow.....

Old 07-15-2009, 07:17 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,664,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Probably. It is very likely that they figure you might not be approachable because of the k-bar and AK-47 you carry with you.

Survey says that's a real turnoff.
Kind of a slam on one of our veteran servicemen isn't it? Vietnam Vet still getting the same treatment they came home to forty years later. Besides it was the ENEMY with the AK-47's.
Thank you for your service to our country Northern Maine Land Man!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:56 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
I was substitute teaching and the room next to mine had a new teacher. The class was in a near riot and the teacher didn't know what to do. I stepped into the doorway and one student was running down the aisle. I pointed to the seat where he belonged and he sat. The entire class was silent. I never said a word. I nodded to the teacher and she resumed her lesson. After school she came to my room and asked how I did that. I told her that the military calls it "command presence". Those kids knew I know their parents and most of their grandparents.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:55 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I was substitute teaching and the room next to mine had a new teacher. The class was in a near riot and the teacher didn't know what to do. I stepped into the doorway and one student was running down the aisle. I pointed to the seat where he belonged and he sat. The entire class was silent. I never said a word. I nodded to the teacher and she resumed her lesson. After school she came to my room and asked how I did that. I told her that the military calls it "command presence". Those kids knew I know their parents and most of their grandparents.

And "command presence" my dear, is in a nutshell, exactly why you aren't approached by panhandlers. OP: Make a note.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:03 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,724,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Kind of a slam on one of our veteran servicemen isn't it? Vietnam Vet still getting the same treatment they came home to forty years later. Besides it was the ENEMY with the AK-47's.
Thank you for your service to our country Northern Maine Land Man!

I second that Thank you for your service...........

Old 07-15-2009, 10:09 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
Sounds like Bangor is no different than most larger cities. I can also cite other places where it is not uncommon to find panhandlers. Heck, with some it is a racket and good money can be had. I can show you articles of people panhandling at intersection lights, then being followed and seen getting into very expensive cars and driving off.

Some may have some mental issues, some may really be on the outs and some use it as scheme for easy money. Pick one. Bangor is just one more place it occurs for whatever the reason.
I remember back in the 80's when this story first hit the headlines; it caused quite the up-roar. Funny thing is that it still angers people to this day. I don't know why.

With my dad I can understand, although his attitude was irrational. He owned his own business (self-employed) and got really screwed over by Reaganomics. Even though he was really upset over trickle-down economics, he directed his frustration towards "those pan-handlers who make $300 a day doing nothing." He didn't call them pan-handlers, that was my word. I think that this sentiment is why most people have a problem with them.

Here's my take on the situation; some are in need of the money, some may be physically or mentally incapable of work, and some may be scamming. Does the reason really matter? Some may play off of other's sympathies, which would be morally questionable, but all they are doing is asking a question that requires a simple yes or no answer. These guys stand out there in the rain, cold, and blazing heat. I would imagine that it is also humiliating, at least to some. If they can make $300 a day by just standing there, then more power to them! They are not a tollbooth, you are not obligated to pay.

I sometimes wonder if people get upset for a different reason; because they did not think of it first, or maybe because they do not have the cojones to do it themselves or maybe because they are just jealous they people are not handing them money. I dunno. Silly situation, though, if you ask me.

When I lived in California, panhandlers where everywhere -particularly around the Bay Area. You (almost literally) could not walk five feet without someone asking you for something (usually spare change). Most were polite about asking, and when you said 'no', the bid you a good day.

In Minneapolis, the panhandlers were far more aggressive and harassing. They would also asked for a specific amount instead of just 'spare change'. I once gave a guy a buck and he told me that a dollar wasn't good enough. He wanted five bucks. I would also hear the racism card a lot, that they only reason why I am not giving them money is because I am white and they are not. What ever.

I get hit-up a lot around here in Portland. I usually do not give them anything, but it is mainly because I just do not have any cash, or change, on me. And I am not going to hand them my bank card. But there is an odd thing about the 'beggars' around Portland. In other cities that I have lived in, the panhandlers at least appeared to look destitute. Around here some do, but many look rather well kept. Not that they are hanging around in Armani suits so anything, but they don't appear to be homeless or in desperate need. Maybe they are, I dunno, but my policy is that unless the person looks (and smells) like they just crawled out of a garbage can they will get nothing from me.

On a side note: most panhandlers do not make much money. They do their thing until they get enough money to do what-ever-it-is that they need to do with the money.

I do not doubt that Bangor has its share of panhandlers, but I do feel that the OP is exaggerating a bit.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:38 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I remember back in the 80's when this story first hit the headlines; it caused quite the up-roar. Funny thing is that it still angers people to this day. I don't know why.

With my dad I can understand, although his attitude was irrational. He owned his own business (self-employed) and got really screwed over by Reaganomics. Even though he was really upset over trickle-down economics, he directed his frustration towards "those pan-handlers who make $300 a day doing nothing." He didn't call them pan-handlers, that was my word. I think that this sentiment is why most people have a problem with them.

Here's my take on the situation; some are in need of the money, some may be physically or mentally incapable of work, and some may be scamming. Does the reason really matter? Some may play off of other's sympathies, which would be morally questionable, but all they are doing is asking a question that requires a simple yes or no answer. These guys stand out there in the rain, cold, and blazing heat. I would imagine that it is also humiliating, at least to some. If they can make $300 a day by just standing there, then more power to them! They are not a tollbooth, you are not obligated to pay.

I sometimes wonder if people get upset for a different reason; because they did not think of it first, or maybe because they do not have the cojones to do it themselves or maybe because they are just jealous they people are not handing them money. I dunno. Silly situation, though, if you ask me.

When I lived in California, panhandlers where everywhere -particularly around the Bay Area. You (almost literally) could not walk five feet without someone asking you for something (usually spare change). Most were polite about asking, and when you said 'no', the bid you a good day.

In Minneapolis, the panhandlers were far more aggressive and harassing. They would also asked for a specific amount instead of just 'spare change'. I once gave a guy a buck and he told me that a dollar wasn't good enough. He wanted five bucks. I would also hear the racism card a lot, that they only reason why I am not giving them money is because I am white and they are not. What ever.

I get hit-up a lot around here in Portland. I usually do not give them anything, but it is mainly because I just do not have any cash, or change, on me. And I am not going to hand them my bank card. But there is an odd thing about the 'beggars' around Portland. In other cities that I have lived in, the panhandlers at least appeared to look destitute. Around here some do, but many look rather well kept. Not that they are hanging around in Armani suits so anything, but they don't appear to be homeless or in desperate need. Maybe they are, I dunno, but my policy is that unless the person looks (and smells) like they just crawled out of a garbage can they will get nothing from me.

On a side note: most panhandlers do not make much money. They do their thing until they get enough money to do what-ever-it-is that they need to do with the money.

I do not doubt that Bangor has its share of panhandlers, but I do feel that the OP is exaggerating a bit.

you did bring up a few hot button issues (good post)

if i see a homeless person, yes i do get frustrated, because thats someones' mother/father/brother/sister, and if they are this destitute, then perhaps thier family abandoned them, however, thier is always a flipside, i know many have mental or substance abuse problems,

this is why i get so haired up about welfare fraud, and folks on disability , that could work, they take away from the folks that really need it...

as a society we spend billions on welfare, yet we still have homeless folks that need shelter and a meal...??
is it because we dont give (tax enough) or is it,,,too many folks are receiving, when they should be contributing.
sadly, many politicians almost encourage this by trying to "buy" votes

Last edited by 7th generation; 07-15-2009 at 05:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area