Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:27 PM

908 posts, read 1,830,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I would hate to live in a city that riots when there team wins a Championship, and throws snow balls at opposing players, fans, and even Santa Clause. Just awful horrible fans in Philly.
That is what makes Phillies fans the best in the nation. Tampa could only dream of having such strong fans. Your reply shows that the Rays are in big trouble. Rays fans need to go get a second job at Busch Gardens and buy some tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 03:55 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,752,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
That is what makes Phillies fans the best in the nation. Tampa could only dream of having such strong fans. Your reply shows that the Rays are in big trouble. Rays fans need to go get a second job at Busch Gardens and buy some tickets.
That is the most ignorant thing I have heard on CityData since Rachael84 got banned. Your post just showed how immature and ignorant to this topic you really are. I'm sure Busch Gardens has openings for 300,000 people. You are just another typical Philadelphia fan, rude, immature, nasty and arrogant.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
That is the most ignorant thing I have heard on CityData since Rachael84 got banned. Your post just showed how immature and ignorant to this topic you really are. I'm sure Busch Gardens has openings for 300,000 people. You are just another typical Philadelphia fan, rude, immature, nasty and arrogant.
Yet you and other Tampa fans are the ones throwing insults in the air while still not explaining why you can't fill a stadium when you have one of the best teams in the American League. Go buy a playoff ticket and do your team and city a favor.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:46 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I really don't get these threads

Is it just the "adult" version of "my dad can beat up your dad", or am I missing something?
sigh...

Old 10-06-2010, 05:44 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
Not even a question....KC. Tampa doesn't deserve a team.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Yet you and other Tampa fans are the ones throwing insults in the air while still not explaining why you can't fill a stadium when you have one of the best teams in the American League. Go buy a playoff ticket and do your team and city a favor.
You have been to what 4 or 5 threads about Rays attendance? You have been presented with evidence by me and others about why attendance is bad here, and now you want to say no one is explaining anything to you? I have also told you that I cannot afford a playoff ticket. Besides, the Rays home games are already sold out. As far as I am concerned, Rays fans are pissed that people from other parts of the country have no idea about the Tampa Bay baseball market and its current problems, but think they have enough knowledge to tell us we don't deserve a team, when if their city had the same problems, their attendance would be no better.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:46 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,242,679 times
For the record, though I'm a Phillies fan, I think the whole cheat-beating that some Phillies fans are doing in this thread about the Phillies' attendance is really ridiculous. It's like some people have an inferiority complex or something. Everyone who pays attention to baseball knows the Phillies' attendance was great this year and has been great the last 3 seasons. It helps when a team is very good and plays in the largest single team market in Major League Baseball.

Quote:
As far as I am concerned, Rays fans are pissed that people from other parts of the country have no idea about the Tampa Bay baseball market and its current problems, but think they have enough knowledge to tell us we don't deserve a team, when if their city had the same problems, their attendance would be no better.
There are many people who are aware of the challenges the Rays have attendance-wise that are unique or mostly unique to the Tampa Bay market, especially in combination - transient population, not an overly large market, mediocre domed stadium, hard-to-access stadium location, particularly difficult regional economy, high number of retirees/people on fixed incomes, and in the 2010 ALDS, a low profile opponent. Those factors do make it harder for the Rays to draw fans, even if the fans have interest in the Rays (which if the TV ratings shown earlier in the thread are correct, many Tampa Bay area baseball fans do). But if a team has all of those problems, then maybe it's not a viable market for a MLB team. That's not meant to belittle Tampa Bay area baseball fans, just to state an opinion with considerable evidence. The fact is most other MLB markets DON'T have the problems mentioned above (i.e. New York wouldn't be New York if it had those challenges), and the Rays, or any other MLB team, are not given extra wins or fewer losses to offset the handicaps they may have. If a team cannot draw attendance sufficiently to overcome their handicaps, even with a good team, then almost by definition the market is not viable for a given sport.

I'd like to see the Tampa Bay Rays draw better, and for Tampa-St. Petersburg area baseball fans to prove the critics (including me) wrong. But the Rays' 2008-2010 attendance figures are pretty damning IMO.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:48 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,249,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
sigh...
Yeah, it's a surprise this would turn into a pissing match

Old 10-07-2010, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
For the record, though I'm a Phillies fan, I think the whole cheat-beating that some Phillies fans are doing in this thread about the Phillies' attendance is really ridiculous. It's like some people have an inferiority complex or something. Everyone who pays attention to baseball knows the Phillies' attendance was great this year and has been great the last 3 seasons. It helps when a team is very good and plays in the largest single team market in Major League Baseball.

There are many people who are aware of the challenges the Rays have attendance-wise that are unique or mostly unique to the Tampa Bay market, especially in combination - transient population, not an overly large market, mediocre domed stadium, hard-to-access stadium location, particularly difficult regional economy, high number of retirees/people on fixed incomes, and in the 2010 ALDS, a low profile opponent. Those factors do make it harder for the Rays to draw fans, even if the fans have interest in the Rays (which if the TV ratings shown earlier in the thread are correct, many Tampa Bay area baseball fans do). But if a team has all of those problems, then maybe it's not a viable market for a MLB team. That's not meant to belittle Tampa Bay area baseball fans, just to state an opinion with considerable evidence. The fact is most other MLB markets DON'T have the problems mentioned above (i.e. New York wouldn't be New York if it had those challenges), and the Rays, or any other MLB team, are not given extra wins or fewer losses to offset the handicaps they may have. If a team cannot draw attendance sufficiently to overcome their handicaps, even with a good team, then almost by definition the market is not viable for a given sport.

I'd like to see the Tampa Bay Rays draw better, and for Tampa-St. Petersburg area baseball fans to prove the critics (including me) wrong. But the Rays' 2008-2010 attendance figures are pretty damning IMO.
Than people should stop blaming the fans here. None of these problems means Tampa Bay doesn't deserve the team, because most of the can be fixed.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Than people should stop blaming the fans here. None of these problems means Tampa Bay doesn't deserve the team, because most of the can be fixed.
The "so-called" fans are the ones that are not showing up to the games, so who else is to blame? This would lead any rational person to conclude that the Tampa Bay area can not support major sports organizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball