Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times

Advertisements

I heard we just signed Mark Prior and also heard about Russell Martin. Considering our catching situation was Posada and Cervelli, and with Montero about to get his shot as a DH or the backup the Martin signing is suspicious. I heard the Royals wanted a catcher, infield help, and a little more for Greinkes services, so this might mean Martin, Cervelli, Montero, or Romine is about to be packaged very soon. I also heard that the Royals were inquiring and interested in Gardner. Now, even without Lee (who would have definitely helped) we have a good staff but we just needed one more decent starter and maybe some help with middle relief. Sabathia, Hughes, Burnett, probably Pettitte, and Ivan Nova looks good to me. Especially since Burnett had a bad year and I think it's obvious he should be able to pull out of the funk.
That and Jeter coming off a bad year means that barring injuries, this should be a better year for us.
If Prior can stay free of injuries and makes the team, this could also be beneficial.
All I know is that any day now, the Yanks are going to do something big. Hal's ego wont allow us not to do anything when Boston made 2 major moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 02:27 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I heard we just signed Mark Prior and also heard about Russell Martin. Considering our catching situation was Posada and Cervelli, and with Montero about to get his shot as a DH or the backup the Martin signing is suspicious. I heard the Royals wanted a catcher, infield help, and a little more for Greinkes services, so this might mean Martin, Cervelli, Montero, or Romine is about to be packaged very soon. I also heard that the Royals were inquiring and interested in Gardner. Now, even without Lee (who would have definitely helped) we have a good staff but we just needed one more decent starter and maybe some help with middle relief. Sabathia, Hughes, Burnett, probably Pettitte, and Ivan Nova looks good to me. Especially since Burnett had a bad year and I think it's obvious he should be able to pull out of the funk.
That and Jeter coming off a bad year means that barring injuries, this should be a better year for us.
If Prior can stay free of injuries and makes the team, this could also be beneficial.
All I know is that any day now, the Yanks are going to do something big. Hal's ego wont allow us not to do anything when Boston made 2 major moves.
They got Martin because:
1) Posada is a horrific defensive catcher
2) Cervelli is a horrific hitting catcher
3) Romine isn't ready
4) Montero:
A) might get traded
B) might not be ready to be the every day catcher
C) might not be good enough to stay behind the plate

Prior hasn't pitched in a major league game since 2006. Certainly can't expect anything from him. I'd sign him to a minor league contract though.

Jeter:
http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/826_SS_season_mini_8_20101003.png (broken link)
2010 wasn't the odd year. 2009 was.
That's a pretty straight line from 2006 - 2010 if you take out 2009.
In fact, everything from 2002 - 2010, except for some blips in 2006 and 2009, points to a pretty clear career path from The Captain.

Still expect the Yanks and Red Sox to go 1 & 2 in the AL East in no particular order

Old 12-16-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
They got Martin because:
1) Posada is a horrific defensive catcher
2) Cervelli is a horrific hitting catcher
3) Romine isn't ready
4) Montero:
A) might get traded
B) might not be ready to be the every day catcher
C) might not be good enough to stay behind the plate

Prior hasn't pitched in a major league game since 2006. Certainly can't expect anything from him. I'd sign him to a minor league contract though.

Jeter:

2010 wasn't the odd year. 2009 was.
That's a pretty straight line from 2006 - 2010 if you take out 2009.
In fact, everything from 2002 - 2010, except for some blips in 2006 and 2009, points to a pretty clear career path from The Captain.

Still expect the Yanks and Red Sox to go 1 & 2 in the AL East in no particular order
I think Montero is destined to switch position or become a fulltime DH. He can hit. I do think this whole thing is a push for Zack but we do have our fealers out there with alot of guys right now. I do agree that no matter who is on either team that the Yanks and sox are usually going to finish 1 & 2 every year. Inside tip is that Prior feels better than he has in years but obviously you can't make any predictions for anything good yet. Kind of like the way I felt when we had Pavano.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:07 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
I looked in on some Indians boards today and saw some concerns about Fausto Carmona possibly being dealt to the Yankees.

As usual, can't tell if it has any basis for concern, but in the past they've actually been pretty decent boards in terms of sensing future actions. The speculation I saw involved Montero coming back to the Indians.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:21 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I looked in on some Indians boards today and saw some concerns about Fausto Carmona possibly being dealt to the Yankees.

As usual, can't tell if it has any basis for concern, but in the past they've actually been pretty decent boards in terms of sensing future actions. The speculation I saw involved Montero coming back to the Indians.
The Indians already ripped off the Dodgers for Carlos Santana in the Casey Blake trade. Don't know why they need another potential star catcher.

I've also heard those rumors though. As someone who doesn't really love the Yankees...I wouldn't mind a Montero for Carmona deal though

Old 12-16-2010, 09:05 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
The Indians already ripped off the Dodgers for Carlos Santana in the Casey Blake trade. Don't know why they need another potential star catcher.

I've also heard those rumors though. As someone who doesn't really love the Yankees...I wouldn't mind a Montero for Carmona deal though
I don't know, rotating catchers to keep either from having more than 100 games behind the plate may help both keep their offensive potential up. Travis Hafner is permanently injured, his shoulder will never be right again, so they also could get 30-50 games at DH during the season too.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:

It would work well for both teams and the Yanks don't necessarily see Montero as a catcher for the future. He was looking more like a DH. They also have Romine who they are very high on so I do see them unloading one of them very soon for one pitcher or another (Greinke possibly).

Old 12-18-2010, 08:30 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
The Yankees surely need something after playing dead to the Rangers, who, in turn played dead for the Giants.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:23 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The Yankees surely need something after playing dead to the Rangers, who, in turn played dead for the Giants.
They Rangers were not playing dead, the Giants killed them.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
They Rangers were not playing dead, the Giants killed them.
It's true that the Yankee bats were pretty dead for the playoffs but in the World Series, the Rangers were just outplayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball