Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 07:07 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
The Red Sox will look like a different club if they get everyone healthy and get their pitching straightened out.
That's alot of factors. I think this will be a tough year for them. Honestly Bobby V might be too old school for this team. A newer attitude not necessarily a pushover would be a better choice. Look what Showalter is doing in Baltimore with what they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:26 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
That's alot of factors. I think this will be a tough year for them. Honestly Bobby V might be too old school for this team. A newer attitude not necessarily a pushover would be a better choice. Look what Showalter is doing in Baltimore with what they have.
There was a fascinating article in the Daily News yesterday about Bobby Valentine as Red Sox manager. Yes, it's become the new chic thing to do and blame the team on him. In reality, of course, former wunderkind Theo Epstein assembled this collection. Valentine simply got to inherit the mess...and, of course, will shortly pay for it with his job.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
I enjoyed watching the 100th anniversary game. Love the throwback unis but would have preferred if the Sox had put something on those WHITE HATs... The 5 solo HRs hit by the Yanks made me start thinking about how many solo HRs were hit the entire year at Fenway during the 1912 season?? Probably not many more.

My son who is a big Cowboys fan (NFL) couldn't get over the fact that the Red Sox are still playing in the same park after 100 years.. he is into new ballparks and thinks every team should get a new park ever few years! Hopefully he will grow to appreciate the tradition of some MLB teams.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:27 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
There was a fascinating article in the Daily News yesterday about Bobby Valentine as Red Sox manager. Yes, it's become the new chic thing to do and blame the team on him. In reality, of course, former wunderkind Theo Epstein assembled this collection. Valentine simply got to inherit the mess...and, of course, will shortly pay for it with his job.
This mess?
Remember last season when the Red Sox were 5-10 and 4.5 games out after 15 games and they led the division by June and had the best record in the AL in July? Then missed the playoffs by 1 game? Every team should be such a mess.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:34 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
This mess?
Remember last season when the Red Sox were 5-10 and 4.5 games out after 15 games and they led the division by June and had the best record in the AL in July? Then missed the playoffs by 1 game? Every team should be such a mess.
I agree that it is definitely too early to write them off but team chemistry on the sox is strange. I definitely will NEVER blame a manager for everything but he is not the right fit for this group. You also have alot of stubborn guys that are set in their ways on this team. Anything is possible but honestly I don't think it it will be a playoff year for them.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:52 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I enjoyed watching the 100th anniversary game. Love the throwback unis but would have preferred if the Sox had put something on those WHITE HATs...
Yeah, that really stood out, but more noticeable to me was the absence of uniform numbers. In 1929 the Indians and Yankees became the first MLB clubs to wear them. The Yankees' numbers indicated the respective player's spot in the batting order, e.g. Combs 1, Koenig 2, Ruth 3, Gehrig 4, Meusel 5, etc.... I don't know if the Indians' numbers had the same purpose.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:51 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Yeah, that really stood out, but more noticeable to me was the absence of uniform numbers. In 1929 the Indians and Yankees became the first MLB clubs to wear them. The Yankees' numbers indicated the respective player's spot in the batting order, e.g. Combs 1, Koenig 2, Ruth 3, Gehrig 4, Meusel 5, etc.... I don't know if the Indians' numbers had the same purpose.
Exactly why I always encourage my kids to take single digit numbered Jersey's in baseball... TRADITION!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:30 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Honestly Bobby V might be too old school for this team.
Old school? You mean like hitting and getting on base, pitching and getting batters out, and fielding the ball and making put outs? That kind of "old school" or do you mean something else?

Frankly, I find it disgusting how my fellow New Englanders have treated Bobby Valentine and how the ignorance has been massive related to his role. The same people who gave Terry Francona a complete pass on the disaster that was the 2011 season, both part 1 in April and part 2 in Sept, are the ones now jumping all over Bobby V.

To me, people are caught up in the hype around Bobby and some don't like the fact that his style is more business like than Francona's. Tito's style was to be quiet and be the player's friend. He played cribbage with Pedroia before games. There is nothing wrong with that, but let's not pretend that he had some magic touch, especially last year.

This April is just a continuation of the same failure by the players from last Sept.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:46 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
One other comment that I would make is that Bobby was right about Youkilis. Maybe he shouldn't be so forthcoming to the media, but his assessment was correct. People want to blame the messenger instead of heeding the message.

At the beginning of the season, I was telling people that the Sox should trade Youkilis for pitching and bring up Middlebrooks to play 3B. Youk has a club option for 2013, but does anyone think the Sox are going to pick it up? Middlebrooks is tearing up AAA. Youk is in decline. I am a fan of Youkilis and he was key to our successes in 2004 and 2007, but just like Tek and Wake, you can't be nostalgic. It's not about one person.

Same goes for Bard. It shouldn't matter what he wants to do. He is needed in the pen. Maybe once things stabilize, he becomes another option for the rotation, but Lackey is due to come back next year, and if Dice-K pitches well this year, they might resign him if the money is right. If Youk is traded, that could open up some money for new pitching as well in the off season. Bard may not have a slot next year to worry about. Being a lights out setup guy or closer might be his best option.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Rooting for the Sox this year. Please, please, please win
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball