Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 10:32 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Tigers won 4 consecutive games on 12 occasions this year

Giants lost 4 consecutive games on 3 occasions this year
Yeah, well, sorry, this won't be the 4th occasion, on both accounts.

Time to put the number cruncher away for the winter and save it for next year's fantasy baseball season, 'cause this season's over, dude. Get ready to swallow some pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Now the Tigers must do what no WS team has ever done....and only the Red Sox have ever done in a seven game post season.

The 2012 ML season could end tomorrow....seemed to really whiz by.
It's over. I'm seeing the same looks on the Tigers faces that I saw on the Cardinals in games six and seven. They're getting worked by dominant pitching and defense, and they don't have answers. I really don't think the layoff has anything to do with it, either. The Tigers just didn't face pitching and defense that's this good, and they faced teams that couldn't score, which made their good pitching look 'dominant'.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:02 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
It's over. I'm seeing the same looks on the Tigers faces that I saw on the Cardinals in games six and seven. They're getting worked by dominant pitching and defense, and they don't have answers. I really don't think the layoff has anything to do with it, either. The Tigers just didn't face pitching and defense that's this good, and they faced teams that couldn't score, which made their good pitching look 'dominant'.
My impression is that if the Tigers were up three games to none, you would be writing the same thing as above save for the team identities reversed.

I've held all along that the post season is a crapshoot and that view isn't altered by my status as a Giants fan. In 2012 San Francisco was .580 ballclub, Detroit played .543 ball. The difference is such that it would require a 27 game series, where SF could be expected to win 15.7 games and Detroit 14.7 games, that a full one game advantage emerges for the Giants. And that would be SF prevailing 14 games to 13 games.

That is based on their regular season performance.

I'm delighted that things have gone the Giants way so far, but I do not interpret that as some sign of their immense superiority.

And it isn't over yet.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:19 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
The Tigers are doing slightly better than the 1966 Dodgers who scored 2 runs in the Series.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:04 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,324,164 times
1 more to gooooo

i hope they can wrap it up tomorrow. epic pitching performances

Old 10-28-2012, 12:14 AM

19,219 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Default Go Giants!!

As much as I would like to see them win tomorrow, I wish it was in San Francisco. Nothing sweeter than winning at home.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:56 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,265,296 times
not that this matters, but does anybody care about the wrong call at 1st base. With a man at second base, and one less out, this could have really affected the score...Giants were lucky that Detroit really sucks at hitting the ball. a 2-0 lead is easily overcome if you can just get one man on base, and a solid batter at home plate. Seen it happen too many times. I love the Giants this year...go bearded dudes

Old 10-28-2012, 08:21 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Yeah, well, sorry, this won't be the 4th occasion, on both accounts.
The Tigers won 4 consecutive games in 12 of 159 possibilities.
The Giants lost 4 consecutive games in 3 of 159 possibilities.
In 318 sets of 4 games there were 15 instances of the Tigers winning and the Giants losing 4 consecutive games. 15/318 = .047. So there's something in the neighborhood of a 5% chance of the Tigers winning the next 4 games. So, no, it most likely won't happen.

Quote:
Time to put the number cruncher away for the winter
Plenty of numbers to crunch in the winter. With no baseball to distract me, I'm just getting started.

Quote:
and save it for next year's fantasy baseball season
I don't play fantasy baseball.

Quote:
'cause this season's over, dude. Get ready to swallow some pride.
You're delusional. What does my pride have to do with anything? As a Dodger fan I'm rooting against the Giants, but it has nothing to do with pride.

Quote:
It's over. I'm seeing the same looks on the Tigers faces that I saw on the Cardinals in games six and seven.
Since you're so much more knowledgeable about baseball than I could you explain this to me? I'm a visual learner so, actually looking at players' faces would be quite helpful. You should be able to find plenty of video on MLB.com to assist you.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
My impression is that if the Tigers were up three games to none, you would be writing the same thing as above save for the team identities reversed.

I've held all along that the post season is a crapshoot and that view isn't altered by my status as a Giants fan. In 2012 San Francisco was .580 ballclub, Detroit played .543 ball. The difference is such that it would require a 27 game series, where SF could be expected to win 15.7 games and Detroit 14.7 games, that a full one game advantage emerges for the Giants. And that would be SF prevailing 14 games to 13 games.

That is based on their regular season performance.

I'm delighted that things have gone the Giants way so far, but I do not interpret that as some sign of their immense superiority.

And it isn't over yet.
The winning percentages tell part of the story. Keep in mind that Melky Cabrera was the main RBI guy for the Giants for at least half the season. Scutaro wasn't around until around the trade deadline. The Giants pitchers swooned a little in the late half of the season, but that's going to happen on every team. In August the Giants went 18-10 and in Sept. they went 19-8 (if my math is correct). They started turning it on after the trade deadline, with a few minor hiccups here and there. Detroit did, too.

But here's what convinced me coming into this series that the Giants would win it: look at whom these two teams defeated and how they defeated them. The Tigers beat an A's team that's young, scrappy, and finds ways to win, but has a lineup that doesn't really strike much fear in anyone. Most of their guys are mediocre hitters, and guys like Verlander and Scherzer are going to stuff them, and they did. And the Yankees were clearly lost at the plate against Baltimore, and that showed against Detroit. The Giants, on the other hand, struggled early in both NL series, but they recovered against Cincy and then completely shut down what is arguably one of the best lineups in baseball when it comes to situational hitting (the Cardinals). Thus, the Detroit pitching staff's low ERA needs to be taken with some grains of salt when compared to that of the Giants. You can't just compare stats; you have to take into account the qualitative merits of the argument, not just the quantitative.

I had these kinds of discussions on the NFL thread last year. "The Patriots have the best offense in football, blather, blather, blather. The Giants are 9-7, haha." Yeah, but they got back their front four defensive players just in time for the playoffs...game over.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:33 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
The Giants pitchers swooned a little in the late half of the season, but that's going to happen on every team.
Like it's happening to the Tigers' offense right now?

In August the Giants went 18-10 and in Sept. they went 19-8 (if my math is correct). They started turning it on after the trade deadline, with a few minor hiccups here and there. Detroit did, too.

Quote:
The Tigers beat an A's team that's young, scrappy, and finds ways to win, but has a lineup that doesn't really strike much fear in anyone.
The A's had a .311 team wOBA
The Giants had a .314 team wOBA
Almost the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball