Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2020, 02:34 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I asked you how Pete Rose's gambling effected the outcome of the 1980 World Series. Instead of answering you provided a sarcastic remark about Rose's honesty. My point of course is that there is no reason whatsoever to consider the outcome of the 1980 WS as tainted in any manner. You threw that in with steroid use and sign stealing, two things which may have indeed had an impact on the outcome of games. Rose's offense does not belong on that list. Only Rose needs to be punished for his gambling.
OK lets toss Rose out of the equation. You seemed to suggest that if everybody was using steroids that , that somehow would balance the transgressions and make the result more valid ? Am I correct ? Sort of like saying if everybody is cheating then it's ok. If not should all those WS titles be vacated as well ?

BTW Besides the Red Sox which I also assume you think should have a WS Title nullified there are 7 or 8 other possible investigations of other teams accused of cheating. So maybe you should wait until all the dust has settle before you lash out in moral indignation.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 01-14-2020 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 02:52 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
OK lets toss Rose out of the equation. You seemed to suggest that if everybody was using steroids that , that somehow would balance the transgressions and make the result more valid ? Am I correct ? Sort of like saying if everybody is cheating then it's ok. If not should all those WS titles be vacated as well ?
I neither wrote that nor believe that. The problem with trying to make any adjustments retroactively as a consequence of PEDs use is that you cannot designate any particular team as having been clean and therefore deserving of adjustments in their favor.
Quote:
BTW Besides the Red Sox which I also assume you think should have a WS Title nullified there are 7 or 8 other possible investigations of other teams accused of cheating. So maybe you should wait until all the dust has settle before you lash out in moral indignation.
You should get out of the assumption business, you aren't any good at it. I never wrote anything which suggested the above. Nor have I lashed out with any moral indignation.

You do not appear to need me to conduct your discussions. You argue against things not said rather than what was actually written. I shall be responsible what I do write, but I cannot be responsible for your imagination or inability to understand what was written.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:09 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
As for steroids, there weren't any teams which didn't have juicers on the roster at some point or another.
This is exactly what you did post. The implication is clear that if everybody is cheating it somehow balances the scales and makes the results valid no need to vacate the result...

Quote:
I neither wrote that nor believe that. The problem with trying to make any adjustments retroactively as a consequence of PEDs use is that you cannot designate any particular team as having been clean and therefore deserving of adjustments in their favor.

You should get out of the assumption business, you aren't any good at it. I never wrote anything which suggested the above. Nor have I lashed out with any moral indignation.

You do not appear to need me to conduct your discussions. You argue against things not said rather than what was actually written. I shall be responsible what I do write, but I cannot be responsible for your imagination or inability to understand what was written.
I have to make assumptions because what you post begs for it.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:44 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
This is exactly what you did post. The implication is clear that if everybody is cheating it somehow balances the scales and makes the results valid no need to vacate the result...

I have to make assumptions because what you post begs for it.
As I noted, you do not need me when you are arguing with stuff which you are making up. You have been told that nothing I wrote stated or implied what you were claiming. Yet still you are arguing, now with yourself alone.

I leave you to your ferocity. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:12 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Unfathomable that they won't vacate the Asstros' ill-gotten and undeserved title...

Think about it, the stros and sox knew they had to CHEAT to win. They knew they could not slug it out with the Dodgers in a fair one. Dodgers were the best team in MLB in '17 and '18. Ownership needs to sue.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:27 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Think about it, the stros and sox knew they had to CHEAT to win. They knew they could not slug it out with the Dodgers in a fair one. Dodgers were the best team in MLB in '17 and '18. Ownership needs to sue.

IMO - take away the WS championship from the Astros, award it to no one = yeah, a void season.

Suing will not get the Dodgers the WS Championship IMO.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:04 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Great to watch the Dodgers smack the Giants yesterday! Baseball is back!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully the boys in blue can get a WS win this year.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:20 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Great to watch the Dodgers smack the Giants yesterday! Baseball is back!!!
And you'll get another opportunity to see them again (probably just on TV for now). It's only a week away.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:28 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
The cardboard cutouts of fans is bizarre as well as the recorded cheering. What a strange season this is.

Old 07-24-2020, 05:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Great to watch the Dodgers smack the Giants yesterday! Baseball is back!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully the boys in blue can get a WS win this year.
Too bad the time change makes it a little late for us oldsters. I watched the first 5 innings about and then, as soon as I got up I checked: For a change some really good news; Our boys are such good boys: I am walking on cloud nine this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball