Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:14 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times

Advertisements

Jason Hammel has been really struggling of late, and appeared to be imploding yesterday. This could be a serious blow if he cannot get right. There is no depth in the Cubs rotation or staff where they could effectively replace him and expect good results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 02:48 PM

131 posts, read 138,942 times
Pathetic showing by the pitching vs the Tigers

Although the offense showed they can fight back, they are still leaving too many men on base by shallow pop flies and double plays. But still put up some runs this series. Here's to hoping for a sweep vs the Braves!

Old 08-22-2015, 11:43 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,558,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Jason Hammel has been really struggling of late, and appeared to be imploding yesterday. This could be a serious blow if he cannot get right. There is no depth in the Cubs rotation or staff where they could effectively replace him and expect good results.
And yet, you're somehow 7 1/2 back from the Cards, which is incredible in and of itself. You've got a better record now than some of the other divisions' leaders.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
And yet, you're somehow 7 1/2 back from the Cards, which is incredible in and of itself. You've got a better record now than some of the other divisions' leaders.
They're ahead of every other division leader except the Royals.

It's borderline infuriating to not merely be contending for the first time in nearly a decade, but to be 19 games over .500 -- and still only be 3rd in the division.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Damn, that sweep by the lowly Phillies must have lit a fire under these guys. The only series they've dropped since was the 2-game set with the Tigers.

Since that awful Phillies series, they took 2 of 3 from the Rockies, swept a 4-gamer on the road against the Brewers, split 2 with the Pirates with the third to be made up later, put themselves where they are today with an incredible 4-game sweep of the Giants, swept the Brewers again in a 3-game series at home, took 2 of 3 from the White Sux in hostile territory, dropped 2 to Detroit (I suppose they're permitted a stumble now and then), and just completed a 4-game sweep of the Braves.

Some of these may be patsy teams, but a 4-game sweep of anyone is a heck of a feat, especially on the road, and then to sweep one of 'em again the next week... wow. If they can at least go .500 against the Giants and Dodgers on this week's West Coast swing, they can probably play .500 ball for the rest of the season and keep their playoff spot.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:29 AM

484 posts, read 467,992 times
I don't know if I would say "patsy" teams, but being in this position the Cubs had to play well against sub-.500 teams and usually have, especially since the stretch vs Philadelphia. My first game at Wrigley since 2011 was the Cole Hamels no-hitter.
I was not as upset about the back-to-back losses to Detroit as I was about their looking totally hapless against the Phillies, although one might think Lester pitching so long in the AL might have made him look better than clueless vs the Tigers.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:16 AM

It is something to see the NL Central keep rolling along. It does make for a great race, but also is going to prove a shame that two of these three teams, should they all make the "playoffs," will be forced to go home after the conclusion of a 1 game "play in" wild card game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmave View Post
I don't know if I would say "patsy" teams, but being in this position the Cubs had to play well against sub-.500 teams and usually have, especially since the stretch vs Philadelphia. My first game at Wrigley since 2011 was the Cole Hamels no-hitter.
I was not as upset about the back-to-back losses to Detroit as I was about their looking totally hapless against the Phillies, although one might think Lester pitching so long in the AL might have made him look better than clueless vs the Tigers.
I was very bummed over the Phillies series, but winning 15 out of 16, and now this sweep of Atlanta to get to 20 over .500 makes up for it. Sure, it would be nice to have a couple of those back, but they won a few they probably shouldn't have since, and I think it has tended to balance out.

Lester has been historically bad against the Tigers in his career. 11 starts, 2-6 career record with a 6.05 ERA, 1.803 WHIP. He has just been owned by the Tigers right along. It's too bad in a 2 game set that his turn had to come up.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:48 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,848,444 times
The Cubs so far has winning record

Old 08-25-2015, 06:13 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
The Giants could sure use a revenge sweep at AT&T. SF will have an advantage in the first two contests since they are night games and the Cubs have to stay up past their bedtime to play.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The Giants could sure use a revenge sweep at AT&T. SF will have an advantage in the first two contests since they are night games and the Cubs have to stay up past their bedtime to play.
I was thinking another sweep in favor of the Cubs would be fun!

Giants could use a sweep to stay in the WC race in case they cannot chase down the Dodgers.

Go Cubs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball