Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather have designated hitters or pitchers batting?
Designated hitters 17 38.64%
Pitchers batting 27 61.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 07:15 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
The originators are the guys who created the game. I don't know their names (do you?), but that isn't important regarding this topic. Fact is: They designed the game without a DH and I like that.

I never stated we must "stick with the original no matter what." You're trying to make an argument regarding "original rules" where there is none ... If you're so concerned about the original rules, you should start a thread about them. This is a DH thread.

I don't like the DH, I like pitchers batting.
You argued against the DH on the basis of it not being the game the way it was "meant to be played." I challenged your basis for this and, once more, it turns out that there is no ammunition in your gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 12:58 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,394,691 times
Quote:
The originators are the guys who created the game. I don't know their names (do you?), but that isn't important regarding this topic. Fact is: They designed the game without a DH and I like that.

I never stated we must "stick with the original no matter what." You're trying to make an argument regarding "original rules" where there is none ... If you're so concerned about the original rules, you should start a thread about them. This is a DH thread.

I don't like the DH, I like pitchers batting.
This is not a DH thread. It's a thread asking which is better, designated hitters or pitchers batting. It's that simple.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:05 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
This is not a DH thread. It's a thread asking which is better, designated hitters or pitchers batting. It's that simple.
Interesting ...

Old 09-06-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Interesting ...
I will also say this: at least 61% voted for pitchers batting. Both of us do like pitchers batting. While I like designated hitters but I do prefer pitchers batting because it's part of the game and it makes the game of baseball exciting although most Major League pitchers aren't very good hitters, especially when it comes to home runs. The current pitcher that does it with some frequency is Madison Bumgardner. Carls Zambrando was probably one of the best pitchers to do so.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 09-06-2016 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Fixed spelling

Old 09-07-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
If you want to make more home runs, in my strategy, even as a pitcher, swing the bat faster and keep your eyes on the ball.
And also swing at the right time and lean into the pitch where the pitch is going.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:39 PM

Bringing this thread up to date. My thoughts on the DH has been changing overtime. I think Major League Baseball should abolish the DH, in my opinion, because pitchers batting are part of the game. For those you prefer pitchers hitting, here's a good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnIwqmTa2t4

Old 02-03-2017, 02:09 AM

636 posts, read 392,865 times
I absolutely prefer pitchers battering

But, I was a pitcher and I couldn't hit and hated hitting; not sure which one caused the other.
But, I also didn't really like pitching and just wanted to play CF all the time. But, I was good, so they made me. They also made me play SS.

I prefer pitchers batting. It makes the game so clean. 9 guys who play defense and offense. Not 9 guys who play defense, 8 of which hit plus another guy who doesn't play defense. I also think it adds to the strategy of the game; when to pull a dominating pitcher because you need a hit. When to let a struggling pitcher face another hitter because he's due up next inning.

Plus, it's always awesome when a pitcher does manage a hit.

But, the NL should adopt the DH - even though I hate the idea. Simple reason is that pitcher don't learn to hit. There's a DH in college, in the minors, most foreign leagues. When a pitcher reaches the majors, he's not prepared to be a hitter. So, with reluctance, I await the DH in the NL.

Similarly, it started as a joke, but the more often I tell it, the more appealing it sounds, I think every position should be available to be DH'd for.

I want to see the best baseball players in the world. There are plenty of guys in AAA that are better hitters than guys like Erick Aybar. Why should I have to watch Erick Aybar hit just because he's a decent infielder? Similarly, why am I forced to watch Kyle Schwarber hobble around on a reconstructed knee while Matt Szczur rides the pine or flies around the OF in AAA making plays in the OF just because Schwarber rakes and Szczur, well, doesn't? And I don't want to watch Victor Martinez run the bases. Give me Usain Bolt. I don't care if he can't hit or catch a ball. I want to see the dude tag up from third while Rick Ankiel (who can't hit or pitch any more but damn can he throw) tries to gun him down.

I know most of you will disagree.
But think about it.
Then keep thinking about it
It makes sense.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:15 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,703 times
I prefer the DH rather than watching a near-automatic out in the batter's box, although I will admit that seeing Bartolo Colon go deep was hilarious.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:46 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
From a purist point of view, its seems more natural to have pitchers at bat. And it is great when they get on base.
But it is an inevitable downer when you have 2 guys on base with 2 outs and the pitcher is up next.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:46 PM

59 posts, read 56,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
From a purist point of view, its seems more natural to have pitchers at bat. And it is great when they get on base.
But it is an inevitable downer when you have 2 guys on base with 2 outs and the pitcher is up next.
I'm with you completely on this. I ultimately prefer pitchers batting because that adds an element of drama and surprise that is non-existent with the DH. As a Giants fan I'm especially biased, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball