Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 08:16 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,861,393 times

Advertisements

Yeah keep Rose out of baseball, he earned that ban, but put him in the HoF. The two are separate and everyone can acknowledge Rose was a HoF player without letting him in baseball. It's clear he is and should be.

As to FS1, Rose has always been that guy. The guy that thinks he's being funny and amazingly witty but really just being insulting and boorish. He'll never get it that's just the way it goes with those guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 03:46 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,600 times
[quote=mtnbkr5;45926796]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Is it me or does Pete Rose think his job is to put down Frank Thomas? Every time Thomas says something, Rose has to give him some kind of wise crack.

He doesn't say anything like that when Alex Rodriguez speaks. If I were Thomas, I would let Rose know that if he keeps up with his antics like make fun of his size, he would take care of it off air.

Maybe Rose can be a pain sometimes, but if Frank Thomas was dumb and touchy enough to "take care of it off air", he would find himself in a cell real quick.........

I don't think so, Rose it seems to me would be a willing participant of any settlement Thomas might have to offer. I have to give Rose credit for that.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:48 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Yeah keep Rose out of baseball, he earned that ban, but put him in the HoF. The two are separate and everyone can acknowledge Rose was a HoF player without letting him in baseball. It's clear he is and should be.

As to FS1, Rose has always been that guy. The guy that thinks he's being funny and amazingly witty but really just being insulting and boorish. He'll never get it that's just the way it goes with those guys.

So was Shoeless Joe Jackson, and Shoeless Joe is not in the Hall.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:41 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
No, it's not just you. I'd like to see Rose in the Hall of Fame and off of everyone's radar and television screens.

I wish the sports world would stop rewarding loud mouth *******s who say outrageous things just to incite people, by giving them television shows. I don't like Rose, but I can't stand Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith.

Bayless is the only idiot who has a name that advises people about what they should do. It's hard to believe that Rick, a decent guy by all accounts, is his brother.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:46 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
I don't think that we will be seeing Rose re-instated by MLB anytime soon, at least not during the reign of Robb Manfred. He has already given the thumbs down and left no hint that this would be subject to change later. Manfred was around working for the Commissioner's office when Giamatti first banned Rose. He remembers what an arrogant liar Rose was in those days, remembers how Rose bad mouthed the investigators and publicly questioned their integrity. He remembers how when Rose finally did come clean, he did it as one more cheap hustle to sell a book.

Rose never provides the people in the position to reverse his ban with any reason to do so. He remains cocky rather than contrite, the same sort of attitude which led him to conclude that he could be the exception to a rule which MLB designed specifically to assure the integrity of the game.

And I'm with Manfred on this, I can't think of any reason why anyone should go to any trouble to honor a sleaze like Rose.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:16 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,861,393 times
Quote:
So was Shoeless Joe Jackson, and Shoeless Joe is not in the Hall.
He should be. The HoF should be bigger than holding grudges against players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
No, it's not just you. I'd like to see Rose in the Hall of Fame and off of everyone's radar and television screens.

I wish the sports world would stop rewarding loud mouth *******s who say outrageous things just to incite people, by giving them television shows. I don't like Rose, but I can't stand Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith.

Bayless is the only idiot who has a name that advises people about what they should do. It's hard to believe that Rick, a decent guy by all accounts, is his brother.

Exactly, the blowhard mentality is killing sport. Ratings are dropping across sports and I have to believe the mean spirited nature of these 'opinion' people are partly to blame. It's simply not a fun environment anymore. Not safe if you're the person they go after for no reason other than they can.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:00 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Exactly, the blowhard mentality is killing sport. Ratings are dropping across sports and I have to believe the mean spirited nature of these 'opinion' people are partly to blame. It's simply not a fun environment anymore. Not safe if you're the person they go after for no reason other than they can.
Hopefully their shows tank and will be pulled, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Part of the reason the ratings for games have dropped is because people are dropping cable. Live streaming for NFL games is up.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:13 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
he stinks...no good, make stomach wretch and head ache to look at his fat face

Old 10-30-2016, 10:05 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,109 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yae1KxRSq0g

I like this segment, but to me, A-Rod makes it work. He's articulate and has the confidence to tell Pete he couldn't handle today's cutter and he had the gumption to call Pete out for not answering his question. Despite this is supposedly Pete dropping knowledge, I'm far more impressed with A-Rod's confidence and maturity, than with Pete's usual know-it-all attitude. Frank was just kind of there, not adding much at all. I don't know what to make of him, so I left feeling indifferent towards him.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:24 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times
Quote:
Is it me or does Pete Rose think his job is to put down Frank Thomas? Every time Thomas says something, Rose has to give him some kind of wise crack.

He doesn't say anything like that when Alex Rodriguez speaks. If I were Thomas, I would let Rose know that if he keeps up with his antics like make fun of his size, he would take care of it off air.

Maybe FS1 should just remove him off air, he hasn't given any technical input anyways.

I finally watched this last night.

You are SPOT ON!

I grew up during the Big Red machine era and absolutely love Pete Rose the baseball player, but I was very turned off with Pete Rose the "commentator"/analyst.

He was, without a doubt, the worst one of the 4 up there. I didn't hear one single comment from him that was insightful or interesting. Too busy thinking of the best way to phrase his smart ass remark about whatever Frank just said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball