Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2019, 01:52 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,133,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
The problem is they won't pay for and keep real talent. And, yes, I'd like to see the A's on top again.
Not "won't"......"can't"

And they won 97 games each in the last two seasons, so they are doing something right. They just have had rotten luck in the post season. If you can win in the regular season, you can win in the post season. The Brooklyn Dodgers of the late '40's through the mid '50's was one of the greatest teams ever assembled. They won one WS and lost five during that time. They were still one of the greatest teams ever, as were the 1990 Braves who lost four out of five World Series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 02:37 PM

330 posts, read 178,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Not "won't"......"can't"

And they won 97 games each in the last two seasons, so they are doing something right. They just have had rotten luck in the post season. If you can win in the regular season, you can win in the post season. The Brooklyn Dodgers of the late '40's through the mid '50's was one of the greatest teams ever assembled. They won one WS and lost five during that time. They were still one of the greatest teams ever, as were the 1990 Braves who lost four out of five World Series.
Nah ... in order to be considered truly 'great' over a period of time, you have to win more than one World Series.

And, yes, the A's are doing something right, but not right enough.

If "You can win in the regular season, you can win in the postseason." is true, how come they don't? Why did all those 'great' Dodgers and Braves teams only win one World Series?

Last edited by delunsa; 10-04-2019 at 02:45 PM..

Old 10-04-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Nah ... in order to be considered truly 'great' over a period of time, you have to win more than one World Series.
That may be your standard, but it isn't mine. My evaluation is based on performance over 162 games, yours is a limited perspective involving a handful of games.
Quote:

If "You can win in the regular season, you can win in the postseason." is true, how come they don't? Why did all those 'great' Dodgers and Braves teams only win one World Series?
You really don't know? A coin has a 50/50 chance of coming up heads when it is flipped. How come it doesn't always come up heads? How come it sometimes comes up tails five or six times in a row?

The Dodgers and Braves were great teams which had poor luck in the post season.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
That may be your standard, but it isn't mine. My evaluation is based on performance over 162 games, yours is a limited perspective involving a handful of games.

You really don't know? A coin has a 50/50 chance of coming up heads when it is flipped. How come it doesn't always come up heads? How come it sometimes comes up tails five or six times in a row?

The Dodgers and Braves were great teams which had poor luck in the post season.
Baseball is a game of skill, not luck. Pretty ignorant to compare it to a coin flip.

Why do you even bother if you naively believe the games are determined by luck?

I guess the '72-'74 A's and Yankees teams of the late '90's were just very lucky.

Last edited by delunsa; 10-04-2019 at 03:28 PM..

Old 10-04-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Baseball is a game of skill, not luck. Pretty ignorant to compare it to a coin flip.

Why do you even bother if you naively believe the games are determined by luck?

I guess the '72-'74 A's and Yankees teams of the late '90's were just very lucky.
They were also good. You either are willfully and deliberately not understanding what I have been writing, or you truly aren't grasping it. There is skill in sports, and there is also luck. The outcome of 162 games is much more closely related to a team's skill level than is the outcome of a five or six game series, or one game. How could it be otherwise?

That is just basic, very basic math. Either you understand this or you do not. It isn't subject to argument, and indeed, you aren't really presenting any arguments, you are just repeating a statement for which you evidently have no basis for believing apart from your having randomly decided to believe it.

You are mistaken.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:52 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,477,660 times
Their problem was the last week. They finished with 6 games against the Angels and the Mariners, 2 of the 5 worst teams in the American League and the whole week finished with like 15 runs total though those 6 games. Now granted, the win/loss didn't really matter at that point because the Indians lost 5 straight to end the year which put the A's in the Wildcard game and the Astros had long won the division, but that last week really carried over. I'm not going to say if they score 40 runs that week, and 20 of them on the Saturday and Sunday games they are going to score 10 runs in the Wildcard game, but they were bringing that up on the post game show afterwards. When you struggle the whole final week, you load the bases, Jurickson Profar can't eat one on the leg with the bases loaded and flies out 2 pitches later, I figured it was over after that. Get the game tied up on 3 walks and a hit batter, even though you don't have any hits tie the game up start over and maybe it goes differently.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
They were also good. You either are willfully and deliberately not understanding what I have been writing, or you truly aren't grasping it. There is skill in sports, and there is also luck. The outcome of 162 games is much more closely related to a team's skill level than is the outcome of a five or six game series, or one game. How could it be otherwise?

That is just basic, very basic math. Either you understand this or you do not. It isn't subject to argument, and indeed, you aren't really presenting any arguments, you are just repeating a statement for which you evidently have no basis for believing apart from your having randomly decided to believe it.

You are mistaken.
You're so hung up on being right all the time and wanting to argue that you just keep contradicting yourself.
You don't know what you believe.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
You're so hung up on being right all the time and wanting to argue that you just keep contradicting yourself.
You don't know what you believe.
All you provide are unbacked assertions. You do not give us a reason to respect your opinions. Either present something that is accompanied by the reasons it is true, or do not bother to present anything. I've explained things to you, you have chosen not to learn. That's on you.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
All you provide are unbacked assertions. You do not give us a reason to respect your opinions. Either present something that is accompanied by the reasons it is true, or do not bother to present anything. I've explained things to you, you have chosen not to learn. That's on you.
Stop contradicting yourself and maybe we'll take you seriously.

Is it an Asperger's thing?

Old 07-24-2020, 01:08 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,477,660 times
Default 2020: 0-0

Who knows with the Astros this year, and while the Angels look promising Trout's only had 1 playoff appearance in his career and Rendon will miss some time at the beginning of the year. I think they can win the division, but if not, they'll be in the mix for one of the 3 "extra" playoff spots in the league this year, and likely forever: all 3 second place finishers make it, and the next 2 best records regardless of division or placement get the final 2 spots. I don't like it, but whatever it's here for this year. Game 1 of 60 against the Angels takes place tonight. Andrew Heaney (4-6, 4.91) starts for the Angels and he'll be opposed by Frankie Montas (9-2, 2.63) who was having a great start to the season before getting the steroid bust. I believe both starters are making their opening day debut starts, and start time is slated for 10:10. Will definitely feel and look different at the Coliseum this year without the rowdy folks out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball