Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:48 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,148,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. There's definitely a northeast bias at the network. If my Astros ever get in a long, hot win streak or if a player gets hot, it's not the leadoff story even though it would be worthy of headlines, especially if they're in a pivotal game. Something needs to be fixed at ESPN. Bring on FOX Sports.
Northern bias? Last time I looked, the Phillies played in the north too and if this was completely true then why don't I hear about the Blue Jays more? Relevance, that's why. If your Astros go off on a long winning streak they will be talked about too. Kind of like how every other word this year was Verlander; Not Sabathia. The Mets are not a hot topic and when they are talked about, it's always how people are surprised that they aren't doing better. Now besides the last 5 or 6 years, outside of the Red Sox and Yankees, tell me another team that has been just as relevant come playoff time.
I'm a Warriors basketball fan and never hear about my team. Before Lebron left Cleveland all I heard about was the Lakers, Celtics and Cavs and maybe a little about the Thunder. Now considering player movement, others are being mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 722 times
Default hello, people

Who won the European Championship in 2012?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:09 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,184,699 times
This is why the (middle America) WS was so important for fan bases - other teams have to fight to "sit at the adult table", but once they break through there should be balanced coverage, imo.

If I'm a fan in NY, Boston or LA, I can get my fix without being catered to by national media - the same way the rest of the nation's fans do.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:27 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,148,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
This is why the (middle America) WS was so important for fan bases - other teams have to fight to "sit at the adult table", but once they break through there should be balanced coverage, imo.

If I'm a fan in NY, Boston or LA, I can get my fix without being catered to by national media - the same way the rest of the nation's fans do.
How about the "Dallas" Cowboys? Not a NY Team! Miami Heat?

Old 01-21-2012, 07:48 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,259,438 times
ESPN as a whole is a complete joke. I mean, look at how they handled the whole LeBron James free agency fiasco. All their credibility went out the window with all the fake stories they grabbed onto just to be the first to report where LeBron was going (Really, Detroit guys!?!).

And yeah, ESPN sucks off the big markets way too much and have a hard time giving credit for the other markets out there. I could go on and on, but all in all ESPN is a joke these days. The network was awesome in the 90's though!

Old 01-25-2012, 08:24 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,004,069 times
I remember in 2006 during the ALDS there was rain out between the Tigers and Yankees and on Baseball Tonight they said the said the Yankees game was rained out.

However, TBS was far worse. Watching the ALDS was sickening. I could not believe how much I heard about Robinson Cano. "Robinson Cano, how far will it go?" Then they sounded like someone murdered their puppy when the Tigers won. The sound of disappointment in their voice was noticeable.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:49 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,479,862 times
The hayday of ESPN was back in 2003 or 2004 when the combination of Rich Eisen (now at NFL Network), Stuart Scott (still there somehow), and Dan Patrick (FOX Sports) were anchoring the 11:00 PM sportscenter. Back then it was just highlights of all the sports going on: none of this loive fest, coors light 6 back of questions, blah blah blah. The only programs I watch on ESPN now are Around the Horn, NFL Primetime, PTI and college gameday scoreboard in the winter. Haven't watched more then 3 minutes of a Sportscenter telecast since May of 08. FSN final score was great, and the 'Lights on NBC Sports Network looks promising; even though its only 20 minutes its action packeed with highlights, I hope that, and the NBC Sports Network in general can last because ESPN is awful. I hope the final score gets back to FSN at some point.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:15 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
ESPN is basically the USA Today of sports networks. The MLB & NBA networks are much more in-depth, and representing their respective sports, give equal airtime to all teams.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:17 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
After watching my Fightin' Phils beat up on the Red Sox last night, I had to take a shower after this game was broadcasted on ESPN. It is sickening how this network has a constant lovefest with Boston and New York. All the while the Phillies were dominating the Red Sox, all these announcers could do was to make excuses for and hype up the Red Sox. They never gave the Phils credit for anything, it was always that the Red Sox weren't performing up to their usual "standard." The announcers were so high on the Red Sox, you would swear they were "aroused" when talking about them. This Boston/NY bias on ESPN has pretty much led to me not watching ESPN unless I have to, as in when the Phillies are on there. Is there ever a time that Baseball Tonight doesn't lead off with the Red Sox and Yankees? The only reason the Phils got the lead story on Baseball Tonight was because they were playing Boston....then that story was followed by a long winded boring segment on the Yankees and Chien Ming Wang's injury. Earth to ESPN: there are other teams besides the Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets.
Wow you're a Phillies fan and you're complaining about ESPN? I realize this thread is 4 years old but 4 years ago the Phillies won the WS and in the ensuing years ESPN has become apologists for Philly. Try being a Braves or a Vikings fan and then come and talk to me about ESPN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball