Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 09:12 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I've said this for a long time, but if baseball were to expand, it should be to two sixteen-team leagues. That would mean that any future expansion would have to be in the American League because it has two fewer teams.

The cities, you ask? Las Vegas would be a good choice, location-wise, but it would create an interesting scenario regarding long-time oddsmakers, and MLB has eebie-jeebies about that. I think another team should either be in Nashville or San Antonio, but then, there would be a realignment problem. The West needs to have five teams, and preferably within the Pacific and Mountain time zones. And there's nobody in danger of moving right now, unless Tampa's ballpark plan somehow fails, which I don't see happening. And Nashville would be a perfect road stop for the Rangers when they make trips to Baltimore and Cleveland; it's right there in between. That'd be a perfect location. But Sacramento and Portland should also be considered, as well. And I'm not sure Oakland's situation is completely settled yet even though they have every intention of getting Cisco Field open in a few years. I think the AL should look at going west, and that's just to balance out the divisions, with the Rangers moving to the more-appropriate AL Central.
There is no way the Sf-Bay-Sacramento area could support 3 teams. Oakland is struggling mightily at the gate as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 11:19 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
I don't know there is a nice little rivalry growing between the AL west teams that nobody wants to talk about. I don't think MLB needs to change that. Yeah add a Mountain West team. But not to the point of where you move the Rangers. Besides, the AL Central is more like the AL midwest.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:52 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
Portlands,Nashville,Las Vegas,Charlotte

minor league team averages around 4,000 people for their home games, I guess they dont have much of an intrest in baseball or just minor league baseball.

Last edited by desert sun; 07-04-2009 at 12:02 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 01:52 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
I think the teams in Miami, Oakland, and Cincinnati should be moved to Nashville, Portland, and San Antonio

Old 07-07-2009, 01:59 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think the teams in ... Cincinnati should be moved
Why not move Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Texas, Arizona, Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit, Atlanta, Minnesota, Milwaukee, and Colorado while we're at it?

Old 07-07-2009, 02:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Portlands,Nashville,Las Vegas,Charlotte

minor league team averages around 4,000 people for their home games, I guess they dont have much of an intrest in baseball or just minor league baseball.
If who gets a major league team is based only on minor league attendance then the list would go...

1. Sacramento CA 9,684
2. Round Rock TX 9,405
3. Louisville KY 9,115
4. Dayton OH 8,622
5. Frisco TX 8,413

http://www.mudhens.com/news/internat...attendance.pdf

Old 07-07-2009, 03:00 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I wouldn't judge interest in major league baseball based on minor league attendance. There is just too much that is different.

These days that attendance is a mere fraction of what they were drawing? What changed? Following minor league baseball is more of an art in watching talent develop and mature than it is rooting for any one team. The team only serves a developmental roll, and the biggest certainty is that you will always lose your best players. As such, taking a big rooting interest in a particular team often ends up in frustration, as the major league affiliate (or higher level minor league affiliates) cherry pick your roster as the season goes on, and raid it one last time Sept 1 right before your playoffs begin. It steals the fun out of rooting for the team.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:22 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,423 times
Quote:
I think the teams in Miami, Oakland, and Cincinnati should be moved to Nashville, Portland, and San Antonio
If Oakland moves anywhere... I think it will be to San Jose.
The Giants claim territorial rights but I'm thinking that MLB is trying to come up with a plan to pay off the Giants and let the A's move to the south bay.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:00 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I wouldn't judge interest in major league baseball based on minor league attendance. There is just too much that is different.

These days that attendance is a mere fraction of what they were drawing? What changed? Following minor league baseball is more of an art in watching talent develop and mature than it is rooting for any one team. The team only serves a developmental roll, and the biggest certainty is that you will always lose your best players. As such, taking a big rooting interest in a particular team often ends up in frustration, as the major league affiliate (or higher level minor league affiliates) cherry pick your roster as the season goes on, and raid it one last time Sept 1 right before your playoffs begin. It steals the fun out of rooting for the team.

I think minor league baseball is getting more popular with teams getting mini major league type stadiums and its nice for the true baseball fans. Albuquerque averages over 8,000 a game, one of the best attendances in the minors. I think if you really enjoy baseball you would enjoy the minors even though its nowhere as popular or interesting as the majors but for cities like Charlotte,Portland,Nashville and Las Vegas to only average over 4,000 a game is kinda disappointing considering the population of these cities.

and I really hope Oakland dosent move, they have always been one of my favorite teams, it just wont be the same rooting for the San Jose A's.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotater58 View Post
2. Nashville, Tennessee-if you have traveled along US 40, you know that Nashville is a large metropolitan area-whats more, is that for a weekend day game, folks might be willing to make a trip from the outlying burbs of Knoxville and Memphis to boot. Certainly the tv and radio market of those two other cities could help support the team.
Quote:
I think the teams in ... should be moved to Nashville ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Nashville,TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
*Nashville
No way Nashville gets an MLB team in the next 30 years. There was a guy that wanted to move the Expos to Nashville a few years ago if Nashville agreed to build a taxpayer funded stadium. That idea was dead on arrival, the city did not want to pay for another pro sports facility. The AAA Sounds tried, unsuccessfully, to get a new downtown stadium; and that was using primarily private money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball