Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:36 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,500,054 times

Advertisements

TAMPA, Fla. - Unable to punish Alex Rodriguez for flunking a drug test that was supposed to be anonymous, Bud Selig could only chastise him.

“What Alex did was wrong and he will have to live with the damage he has done to his name and reputation,” the commissioner said Thursday, three days after the Yankees star admitted using banned substances from 2001-2003 while playing for the Texas Rangers.

“While Alex deserves credit for publicly confronting the issue, there is no valid excuse for using such substances, and those who use them have shamed the game,” Selig said.

A-Rod has ‘shamed the game,’ Selig says - Baseball- nbcsports.msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 05:44 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,683,616 times
Hey Slug:

1998 called.
It wants this statement back:

"I think what Mark McGwire has accomplished is so remarkable, and he has handled it all so beautifully, we want to do everything we can to enjoy a great moment in baseball history."

Wow, "do everything we can", indeed!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:26 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,624,794 times
Let's see exactly how much he has shamed the game. Anyone want to give odds that Rodriguez will be right there on the field come opening day?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:05 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,683,616 times
Slug couldn't do anything to any of those players if he wanted to. The argreement was
#1) anonymous testing for the sole purpose of gaging a need for required testing (or not).

The law was broken here (leaking of sealed Gov't evidence). That's the biggest issue which Arod's big name is eclypsing. Slug has got to be shaking in his boots. He's doing everything he can now to save his own butt, and his profitable cronies who covered everything up for so long.

Expect more crazy "statements" from Slug to divert attention from the biggest (legal) issue here, which has all his cronies in its tangled web.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:47 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,236,754 times
Agreed Travel'r, the biggest problem here is the leaking of sealed Gov't names.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:30 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,245,869 times
If A-Rod "shamed" the game, then what is the appropriate, much stronger negative word for what Bud Selig did to the game?

On a related note, Selig's proposal to not recognize Barry Bonds' home run record and other records who used or are suspected to have used performance-enhancing drugs is one of the more stupid things I've ever heard from Selig, which is saying something. Doing what he suggested would belittle ALL baseball records to some degree because it would say the records aren't important. Perhaps more importantly, baseball would lose something of its essence - that sport, more than any other, has tied its mystique to the records set by various players and teams. If you say some records aren't going to count, you are reducing the mystique of the game. You might as well treat baseball like pro wrestling if you are going to treat the records like they aren't going to carry meaning.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:43 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,204,546 times
This whole steroids issue is just one more symptom of the disease. The days of the "love of the game" have long since gone, and today what you have is a group of players with a "highest bidder" mentality, and they'll do whatever it takes to make more and more. They have no problem with cheating and no problem with lying. In that way MLB represents society today, where lying and cheating are routine, and there are no consequences.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:36 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,245,869 times
Throughout baseball's history many players have had no problems with cheating and lying and doing things to gain a competitive or financial advantage. However, during most of the game's history the people in charge ensured there were rules in place that strongly discouraged cheating and lying. Bud Selig failed to do that in the late 1990's and early 2000's by not making the use of performance enhancing drugs illegal, and if you ask me, the whole performance enhancing drugs problem lies squarely at his feet when you are looking for the biggest culprit in this mess. He allowed the players to cheat so they could get a competitive advantage. To some degree, I can't blame the players for looking for a competitive advantage if what they were doing wasn't illegal.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:54 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,148,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
TAMPA, Fla. - Unable to punish Alex Rodriguez for flunking a drug test that was supposed to be anonymous, Bud Selig could only chastise him.

“What Alex did was wrong and he will have to live with the damage he has done to his name and reputation,” the commissioner said Thursday, three days after the Yankees star admitted using banned substances from 2001-2003 while playing for the Texas Rangers.

“While Alex deserves credit for publicly confronting the issue, there is no valid excuse for using such substances, and those who use them have shamed the game,” Selig said.

A-Rod has ‘shamed the game,’ Selig says - Baseball- nbcsports.msnbc.com

I'm not an avid spotrs fan, but I would watch series games if my home team was playing. The little bit of interest that I have had is now zero, as these guys are frauds. The idol worship that they receive is such bogus crap, especially when these facts come to light. How different are these guys such as Alex (A-Hole) Rodriguez form the celebrities such as Paris Hilton that are famous for nothing. He did not gain fame and fortune on his own merits, so as far as I am concerned he never really earned his big bucks. He is a counterfeit that made a ridiculous amount of real money!

Old 02-16-2009, 02:27 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,204,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Throughout baseball's history many players have had no problems with cheating and lying and doing things to gain a competitive or financial advantage. However, during most of the game's history the people in charge ensured there were rules in place that strongly discouraged cheating and lying..
I can agree with you there. Similar to how our society in general accepts bad behavior that would never have been accepted as few as 20 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
To some degree, I can't blame the players for looking for a competitive advantage if what they were doing wasn't illegal.
OK, but I can blame them for lying about it under oath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball